Vastly extend map lock timer

Discussion in 'TTT Suggestions' started by audrey, Sep 3, 2020.

1. audrey

audrey batty VIP

a sort of duplicate, proper post of a suggestion made on another thread:

the map lock timer should be much longer. on vanilla, there are 28 maps, of which maybe 8 are played pretty much on repeat, those being:

motel
    67thway
    richland
    b5
    dolls
    jondome
    nuketown
    pool

at present, 6 maps are locked at a time, which means that this doesn't entirely resolve the problem of maps being chosen again in a loop. my suggestion is that we at least increase the map lock time to 10 maps before, if not double it to 12, which would allow much more of the less-played maps to be seen. 12 maps would still leave 16 maps on the board, which is plenty to choose from, while eliminating almost all of the most commonly played maps and allowing for variety. we'd see at least 2-4 of the non-overplayed maps per cycle.

this would (at least theoretically) be a VERY easy change to make and vastly increase map variance.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Twitch.youtube.com.ttv/AAAAAAA911

Twitch.youtube.com.ttv/AAAAAAA911 Now you just somebody that I used to know VIP Silver

-1 I don't want to go to shit maps like mc_airship and snowden more often than the good map rotation.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. audrey

audrey batty VIP

how would you know whether or not snowden sucks considering, and this is true, it has never once been played on the server

honestly, genuinely, i feel like people assume a lot of maps suck or play a map once and go "THIS MAP SUX" because they like their more familiar maps. if these maps are so bad, there are tons of good ones out there that could replace them to give us more map variety.

but i don't think they're bad. instead, i suspect people just play what they know, and are quick to write off maps while barely having played them. seriously, how is snowden any more shitty than motel, which is just 3 flat levels of nondescript rooms?

also, even the higher end of this suggestion, 12, would still not force you to go there 'more often than the good rotation'. the overplayed maps make up 8 of the 12 maps that would be locked most of the time, so at most you'd be forced to play 4 non-overplayed maps per cycle. boo hoo.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. Twitch.youtube.com.ttv/AAAAAAA911

Twitch.youtube.com.ttv/AAAAAAA911 Now you just somebody that I used to know VIP Silver

"Never once been played on the server" it was on during the event and everyone would literally just set down lions and everyone would die.

"Like more familiar maps" nah dolls is familiar to practically everyone and people still don't like it. There are a few good new maps but most of them are mythic level shit. I don't want to be forced to play that shit.

"How is snowden better than motel" literally a fucking huge map with open area and unless your the sniper from tf2 you won't be able to get kills without getting spotted. Motel isn't open unless you count the basement which still isn't very open, has good t rooms, good weapon placement, and places you can kill people and get away with it. Snowden? Not as much good stuff.

5. audrey

audrey batty VIP

except snowden has tons of hidy-holes and places where people can snipe from with some cover, and plenty of places where people hide. also i was being hyperbolic lol

6. Twitch.youtube.com.ttv/AAAAAAA911

Yeah that's why so many people dislike snowden it's a sniper map and boring as hell for all the people wanting actual gun fights instead of "hey retard you turned away for 5 seconds time to die"

7. degolfer222

degolfer222 I finally changed my title VIP

Ok, but lions don't exist anymore. I really liked the map the 3 times I got to play it, and I'd love it to get chosen more. Honestly I just want variety in the gamemode, and this suggestion will defintely help with that, huge +1

8. capri sun

capri sun VIP

It's going to hurt when missing Pool, but for sure +1

9. Cash

Cash I staff the proper way Banned VIP

the fuck is snowden

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Dodley27

Dodley27 Dolfin VIP Bronze

Snowden isn't as bad as some other maps
    +1

11. roy

roy is MOST DEFINITELY a ship VIP Silver

If we made a change like this, I think it would need to be gradual to see the results. Something like increasing the lockout from 6 to 8 or 9, to start. Would still increase the rotation a bit.

Alternatively, leave vanilla as-is, and make vanilla2 something like a 12-map lockout, so that becomes sort of the alternate, more varied vanilla.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. audrey

audrey batty VIP

honestly i'd be happy with the latter compromise too!

13. tz-

tz- feelin it VIP Emerald

"extend map lock time so we can add 2 more maps into the normal voting rotation that the players choose themselves"

14. audrey

audrey batty VIP

... yeah? popular maps will always win because of distillation of opinion; the most number of players will know the map and go "oh sure i guess that one" but it might not be everyone's first choice, kind of like how voting third party in america is useless because no one will pick your candidate so you might as well pick the popular one you want. even just on one server, locking out more of the popular maps might give people who don't love the main 8 maps a chance to see any of the other good ones. it's not like there are literally only 8 good maps lmfao

15. yesdaddy

yesdaddy Regular Member

im pretty mixed on this but ill still put a +1

16. Silent Rebel

Silent Rebel Lead Shitposter VIP

+1 on vanilla
    -1 on modded

17. yesdaddy

yesdaddy Regular Member

especially considering a lot of new maps are being added to rotation today we got mc bank and the other day we got mc office
    also something that may be coming to serious soon is my project: Mc Storehouse
    i will fully agree with this so that less played and new maps will actually get played
    +10000000000000000000

18. sleepy panda

sleepy panda A panda that may be sleeping VIP Bronze

+1 Even tho some maps suck it keeps the game fresh

19. ori with a gun

ori with a gun just vibin VIP

+1 because a good amount of maps are actually decent and i'm tired of playing community pool and skycraft

20. -Vader-

-Vader- VIP

What if.... Instead of extending the map lock timer, after round 5 you get a vote to extend the map for like 3 more rounds or whatever. Maybe people want to keep on playing the map and not switch to some other map. I say this because some maps just go by really fast and I would love to keep on playing on some of them.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 1