Vanilla 1 & 2 Map Change suggestion.

Discussion in 'TTT Suggestions' started by Shotta, Aug 24, 2020.

1. you guys say this, but then add actual cancer poorly made maps like terminal smh

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  2. Elvis

Elvis TheRockStars VIP Silver

I have no issues playing on terminal. I have my frames capped at 60 and i rarely drop frames

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Twitch.youtube.com.ttv/AAAAAAA911

Twitch.youtube.com.ttv/AAAAAAA911 Now you just somebody that I used to know VIP Silver

*Cough cough* haven

4. i hate it so much
    if a map can manage to consistently stay below 60fps, even on the x86 beta build of garry's mod, it needs to be nuked off the server

5. Elvis

Elvis TheRockStars VIP Silver

I dont have problems on haven either. Have you considered upgrading your PC? I dont think you need much to run GMod, but using a potato as your PC isnt advised

6. that's in direct contention with what you said earlier
    i'm running a 1660ti and a 4770k, mid-range as fuck. i'm using a 144hz monitor, but on most maps i consistently stay over 200-250fps. still towards the lower end, like you said the server is for on your earlier post.
    i am not saying haven and terminal are shit to be annoying, i am saying they are shit because under the hood they are fundamentally broken and laggy ass maps, that were made by porting mc maps to hammer with a script that runs on chewed bubble gum and reused scotch tape. at least terminal was, haven is just not optimized in the slightest.

maps on the source engine use world geometry to generate invisible zones that determine what the player's client can and can't see when in a given area. using this, it renders areas that are within your sight, or leaves parts of the map that the player is nowhere near seeing unrendered. you can see how this works ingame by running mat_wireframe 1 and moving around different parts of the map, and mat_leafvis 1 to see the current zone you're in.

here's what you're rendering when you're in the spawn on motel

[​IMG]

makes sense, you can't see the bathroom from there, or the rest of the map. so the best way to improve performance is to not render any of it.
    lets try something a little more complicated, here's on the side of one of the apartments on richland

[​IMG]

yep also makes sense, you can't see the majority of the apartments, so it doesn't render them, giving you good fps.

now lets try terminal, in this dark corner on one end of the map where you can see nothing except directly behind you.

[​IMG]

huh that's weird, it renders literally the entirety of the map at the same time no matter where you are. why does it do this? lets explore more.

here's what the world geometry of a decompiled map made by an actual human being looks like, as shown on jondome in hammer editor.

[​IMG]

pretty well done, allows for proper vis leaf generation, meaning without any extra added work the map will compile and be decently optimized on its own.

now lets check out terminal, taken from outside near the airplane.

[​IMG]

huh that's weird. why can't i see the map's geometry in this image?
    i'll give you a hint: IT DOESN'T EXIST. the entire map is made using a shit ton of detail brush entities, which means the map compiler doesn't consider anything when generating the visleafs of the map. absolutely disgusting.

a disclaimer, these pictures were taken on sandbox, so the TTT weapons did not spawn. the wireframe picture of terminal would be even more hellish than it is.

you ever wonder why the map has such a cluster fuck of weapons and ammo? the dude napalm bombed the map with random weapon spawns (the shotguns), that spawn 3 associating ammo boxes next to them.

there's a reason maps like this aren't voted often, or aren't really voted in the first place. your client doesn't like trying to render an entire map worth of weapons, ammo, and props. this shit is absolutely not fun to play on when you can feel how poorly made the maps are.

defend the layout of the map, that's fair. its a great minecraft remake of a classic map. but fuck me, "runs fine" is not even part of these map's vocabulary.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Chad

Chad Banned VIP

8. ye, highwon used that or a variant to rearm some maps that now have ak47s, like nether