[Tutorial] How to make a signature: The easy way

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by 4sea, Jan 10, 2015.

1. 4sea

4sea VIP

So in light of people asking me how I make my sigs after only 1 hour of practise I've decided to make this video to show you guys how easy it is!

[Due to a complaint with my background music I had to remove the audio (although youtube didn't do a great job, as you can still hear some prayers at around 50 second :p)]

What you'll need
    • Google
    • Paint.net (or photoshop)
    • 10 minutes of your time
    • www.dafont.com

How to make it
    As I use Paint.NET I will refer to that program (it is free).

Part 1: The background
    • Start with searching a background that suits you. There are many keywords that help specify the background. Colors are one of the easiest way.
    • Download the background and open it with paint.net. Personally I often resize my background (depending on what part I want to use) to 720 width. Seeing that's how wide I want my sigs to be.
    • Select the part that you want to work with (I go for 720x200, as 200 gives you a lot of hight to work with, but doesn't get too extremely tall)
    • Copy that and create a new page
    • The new page will automatically take the width and height you've got pasted. If you take for example 201/203 as hight, change it to 200 (or whatever hight you want)
    • Copy in your previous paste of the selection you wanted as background. Don't enlarge the workspace if you didn't cut out exactly 200 at ur hight

Part 2: The extra
    To make it look like you actually did go through some trouble, add some icon/figure/character
    • Open up your personal googlu. And search for the icon/character/figure you want by adding "Transparent" to it. Transparant pictures will have this as background:
      [​IMG]
    • Download the picture, and open it with Paint.NET
    • Select it and copy it
    • Go to the signature sized background you did in the previous part
    • Create a new layer
    • Paste in and fit to size
    • (If needed copy and paste it again and make a new one... it's faster than cutting away the exessive white Note: If you copy and paste, you'll have to copy/paste each layer in order! )
    • Done bro. Done.
    Part 3: The text
    • Find a font you like at www.dafont.com
    • Download it and install it
    • Create a new layer
    • Select the Text thingy in your paint.net
    • Start typing and choose your font and fontsize
    • (Give it a color)
    • Play with the layer settings, and find the effect that looks best!

And you have your basic signature!
    Basically, for everything you add, create a new layer. That will give you the most freedom to change things about them.

I made this signature for @~̺͠͏Lucky~ , after seeing her picture with the pikachu's :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. 4sea

4sea VIP

Playing with layers

Rainbow text
    The one and only video that I watched to get me started with Paint.NET was one on making rainbowtext. From this I've learned the basics to play with layers and colors.

There are many ways to achieve this effect and youtube is filled with possibilities. So here's a few ways on how to achieve this effect.
    Basically, this will be all you need to start creating great effects! Just play with colors and test out adding layers and changing their settings!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Zer0z

Zer0z Hotline Blinger VIP

Good job! Paint.net is one of my favorite now.

4. AnarkisT

AnarkisT ★ No Gods, No Masters. ★ VIP Silver Emerald

You don't make the backrounds yourself? :banghead:
    Son, I am disappoint. (n)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Han

Han       VIP

Using this tutorial I made this

[​IMG]
    Not the best, but I'm proud of myself ^_^ Thanks for the tutorial, you scrub.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Alpha Wolfy

Alpha Wolfy Nocturnal VIP

Thanks. Very informative and helpful to something I like to do. :)

7. Logan21755

Logan21755 Member

Very Helpful, Just created a new signature using this

8. Red

Red Harbinger of Arceus VIP

My version: get a copy of photoshop using any means (you know what i mean) then type shit on a font then mess around with the background layer and then put a bunch of effects on your font layer, gg

9. 4sea

4sea VIP

A background I optimised for myself:

Here you can basically see working with layers, with the layer settings and with transparency.
    I've chosen to keep some of the feather untouched, and at the end even created an extra layer, to create a sort of added depth in the image.

I already worked quite a bit on it, and used the system's function to backtrack my previous steps. That's why you only see the results of changes, instead of me actually resizing things.
    Music by Event Horizon

I found a site which gives amazing foregrounds (backgrounds)
    http://www.4shared.com/all-images/BJAR8PMu/Battlebacks1.html?locale=in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015