ttt_elephant (WIP) ver 0.1 (8/8/18)

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by TheGreekOwl, Aug 8, 2018.

1. TheGreekOwl

TheGreekOwl Member

Greetings~

I've been playing TTT for quite some time. I think its high time I made a map for my fav TTT server.

I got the idea for the geometry of a map after having a few dreams and writing them down. The themes is, HEIGHT and WATER, situated in a rustic, industrial environment. Both water and heights represent danger, one from drowning, the other from falling.

In that regard, let me show some WIPs. Pretty much everything here can/will be changed, so any feedback is appreciated~

[​IMG]

This is the overhead for reference. I'm 2/3 done with a general layout that makes the map big enough. Still there's gona be a lot of changes.

[​IMG]

Let's start from the far right of the map. This is my proposed starting point, save of just dispernsing players around the map. There will be a T tester in the platform near the water. There's also a balcony above if you can see it.

[​IMG]

This is the balcony. The glass is added at this point because I'm afraid Ts will just nade the people below. The hole is so that people can fall down, but I'm thinking of changing that. Beneath this, there's basically two stairways that lead up here and to the rest of the map. The idea is, anybody who tries to nade will be either seen, and/or if they try to run away after nading, they won't have enough time to escape. Still WIP tho.

[​IMG]

This is the area that connects the balcony/beach with the rest of the map. On the ground floor there are two entrances, the one closer to the camera being the balcony/beach entry way.

[​IMG]

The glass hall is actually above the hall as you can see. This is the second proposed place where players spawn. The entrance in the far is the balcony/beach entry.

[​IMG]

And this is the hub where it leads. A few notes:

1. The stairs lead to the glass hallway above, which leads to another part of the map.

2. The hole in the ground is supposed to be the world's shittiest nuclear reactor. It's also a T trap. There's gona be a brush you can walk on, a transparent metal fence texture, the ones you can see through. 45 Seconds in the map, T's will be able to activate a Trap. The transparent wire metal brush will break, and players will fall down on the nuclear reactor water (The brown in the hole). They will take damage if that happens. But there's also a small platform in the middle. If players fall into that, they will not take damage from the water. There's a small entrance too that will lead back to the map.

3. The far-right entrance leads to an unfinished part of the map.

4. There's an entrance in the top-center-left, which leads too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here~ there's quite a bit of verticality, I'm thinking of changing this, as it was the first area I worked on, and I didn't add the bridge I wanted. It still WIP, even tho there's multiple good entrances/exits.

[​IMG]

On the right of this area, there's these two entrances. The bottom one leads to a flooded basement with a bridge (Unfinished) as well as where you get back into the main map if you fall in the reactor trap.

Above leads to:

[​IMG]

Here! Getting a bit rough. Also take note of the angle I did a complete 180 with the camera, the entrance right in front leading back to the previous 3 pics. The ramp leads to two small rooms above. The area beneath the ramp leads too:

[​IMG]

This weird area. This will probably get cut, but I was thinking that there would be a part of the industrial map where old buildings are perserved. There's also a bridge, that will be accessible only to Ts at the moment.

[​IMG]

Getting back, this is the area right at the back. There will be three levels, three apartments, from which players can jump down. Bottom will be the basement, middle the areas I showed before, the top one probably a T room.

[​IMG]

Final showcase for today. Different levels again, watch out for heights. I closed off the top levels to discourage sniping. There's also going to be a smaller area beneath where the water is. This is the area the glass hallway in the middle of the map leads to. There's also going to be a hole where you can fall to the basement, as well as an entrance to another part of the map.

---

That's all for now, I'd appreciate any feedback, even this early in development.

I'll be aiming for a playbull version by 0.3, even just a rough untextured one. The general plan is as follows:

0.2: Rough sketching and major experiments with the map layout.
    0.3: First version that can be playtested.
    0.4: Finish with major revisions, cut it down to small layout changes.
    0.5: Lighting, try to make the map as readable as it can be.
    0.6: Start adding and playing with T traps/T room locations, as well as T tester.
    0.7: Texturing and adding models.
    0.8: Lighting aesthetics. Try to make optimize with minimal lighting.
    0.9: Optimization and reducing/simplifying details as much as possible.
    1.0: First finished version! Revise all of the steps starting with 0.5,

And onwards.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Looks interesting. +1

3. TheGreekOwl

TheGreekOwl Member

VER 0.13

Finished some more geometry.

[​IMG]
    Ref map. I'm thinking of keeping the size of the map this big (but not the layout obviously)

[​IMG]
    Starting from the beach again, there have been changes. The balcony entrance has been changed. Remember that the original idea was that anybody who is up there who tries to snipe/nade, will not be able to do so without getting seen and/or when they try to run, they won't have enough time before being spotted.

The entrance was moved to the sides. There is only one entrance to the balcony.

[​IMG]
    This is the inside of the entrance of the beach, and the area directly beneath the balcony (Notice the hole)> In the far end, there is a platform, accessible only through ladder, with an arch-stairway that leads up to the balcony.

[​IMG]

In the center area, there's two stair cases that lead back to the rest of the map.

[​IMG]

The final staircase that leads to the rest of the map.

[​IMG]
    Anyways, moving on. The center area was revised a bit to make the geometry not be dicks. You can see a more general view from above, including the two rooms above, along with the new area at the bottom right.

[​IMG]
    Speaking of new areas, this is it. Its supposed to be a pseudo garden, with a view of the harbor. It is possible that I will expand this are and restrict access to the water, as its been pointed out to me that too many areas with water = places Ts can throw bodies that can't be identified.

[​IMG]
    The entrance in the far end of the map leads to here, which connects too...

[​IMG]
    This part of the map again~ You can see the entrance in the bottom left. The hole in the second floor is an area connected by the glass hall way in the middle of the map. The entrance directly beneath it leads to the station area.

[​IMG]
    I prettied up the area a bit. This will too be limited access to stop bodies getting thrown.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Finally, this is the station area, I added a few lights. You can also see how that staircase connects to the previous part of the map.

[​IMG]
    I'm thinking of keeping this area in the end.

________

That's all for now. Taking a one day break to clear my mind before getting back to this.

0.1.3: I AM HERE

0.6: Start adding and playing with T traps/T room locations, as well as T tester.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. CrownedWings

CrownedWings Quirkless but still kickin VIP

Would love to play test this map, seems like a good draft idea of a map.

5. TheGreekOwl

TheGreekOwl Member

VER 0.1.6

[​IMG]
    Oh my!

Yes, I revised half the map. It wasn't looking as good as I liked it, so there have been a lot of changes.

[​IMG]
    As always, our starting point is the beach. The beach hasn't been changed, and I've added random_weapon/ammo entities to test them out. I did change the balcony a bit to optimize the geometry.

[​IMG]
    This part of the entrance is called the narthex. I've simplified the stairways in some ways, reduced them from 3 levels to 2. Added a glass panel as well to be able to see people. The far end platform as I've mentioned leads to the balcony, which hasn't been changed.

[​IMG]
    This is where the main stairs lead. This is a floor beneath the glass hallway building, The left leads to the garden, the right leads to the construction buildings.

Lets go to the left...

[​IMG]

This is the garden area~ And I've added a lotttt of things. I'll talk about the lower level in a bit, first the area above is half finished, its supposed to be a garden area. I will add more gardens, as well as ideas for traps (I had to scrap most of my trap ideas)

[​IMG]
    This is the lower area. The error signs are me trying to add ladders (and failing). The fear of heights should be obvious, one can fall down, and if they land on the sides, they will surely die. The glass towers are mostly aesthetic here, but I will add stuff to those.

[​IMG]
    This is the area next to the nuclear reactor hole. I added two small buildings. The center above stairway thing leads to the glass hallway, the center up left leading where the reactor used to be.

[​IMG]
    This is the new area. Rough at the moment, still working the general geometry, but you can see what I'm going for.

I'm thinking of adding area beneath here as well. I'm taking notes on the fact that bodies can be thrown down the water, where they can't be retrieved for scanning.

[​IMG]
    This is directly where the old reactor was.Its also the central hub, where you can access the entire map. Bottom right and upper right is the area we just came from 2-3 pics ago. The Bottom and upper left lead to the train station looking area.

[​IMG]
    A better pic.

[​IMG]
    The entrance to the beach has been sealed off. This area is a dead end.

[​IMG]
    And this is the train station. The closer entrance is where the hub is.

[​IMG]
    This is how the area looks. Its supposed to be divided, the area in this pic being where people arrive I guess, the area behind the camera the more rougher back stage stuff.

[​IMG]
    And this is just some cool geometry area, the entrance to the train station.

I'm thinking that the major general geometry stage of development is 60% on.

----

0.1.6 I AM HERE

And onwards.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Teroxa

Teroxa Vier Fäuste für ein Halleluja VIP Silver

Damn, that looks pretty cool.

I'd be excited to try that map.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. TheGreekOwl

TheGreekOwl Member

VER 0.1.7

Small changes today
    [​IMG]
    Three areas have been changed today.
    [​IMG]
    Beach start. If you are keen of the eye, you can see that I've made subtle changes to the balcony a bit. Otherwise its the same.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    On the other hand, I revised the connection from the beach to the rest of the map once again, mostly because I realized later one i'd have optimization/layout problems. They still lead to the garden and the construction area tho, it's just more pretty I guess.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Garden has been changed again for optimization + more interesting level design. Still not final, I may radically change it again.
    [​IMG]
    I am pretty certain that this area will be final, it's looking good as it is.
    [​IMG]
    I also massively changed the view of the train station. The lighting really now creates contrast, and directs the focus in the main stage area, rather then any scenery.

---
    [​IMG]
    I'm already planning on the T side what their areas will be. Again, everything can and will proobably change, but its good to have ideas early on.

In this case, I've made a small room in the area let's call the bridge. Thats the Green T box, thats my first guess for a T room. There are four windows, so I'm thinking there will be 4 traps they can activate.

The traps are as follows

1. There's a utility-storage sort of room thats one way. You can enter from the side of the camera, but the other side has a window that once you jump over you can't get back without using a prop as a platform. This is supposed to be a shortcut rather then going all the way around.

The trap is similar to the one near the tester room in ttt_Highway, only instead of filling with water, it fills with deadly gas. Unlike highway, I may make it that if a D throws down a health station and uses it, that they will be able to survive, if ever so slightly, and if they have above 90 HP

2. I really like traps that spawn explosives that don't explode immediately but have to be shot. The trap is that 3 explosive barrels will fall from the sky, but won't explode. Alternative idea is that only an explosive barrel will fall, but its one that if you touch it, it explodes.

3. This is a similar idea with the above, only the barrels roll down the glass hall way cliff thing, maybe even down to the garden area.

4. The most far off trap, probably the first one to be cut. There's gona be a statue above the projector room, the trap being that once activated, the statue falls, and anybody unlucky to be in its way gets crushed, friend or foe. This would probably require coordination with two Ts, which I think is cool. The statue would probably remain like that, trapping everybody in the projector room, but 45 seconds later the statue breaks, letting players enter or leave the projector room.

Obviously, four traps is a bit tad much. As a result I have a few constrains ready.

The contrains are that

1. Innos will be able to see that a T is in the T room.

2. The traps are in positions where the Ts won't be able to see all that clearly.

0.1.7 I AM HERE

And onwards.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. feИRa

feИRa VIP

Looks good. How many players are you planning it for?

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. TheGreekOwl

TheGreekOwl Member

This map is deticated to Serious TTT, so as many players as the servers can handdle. I've seen it be 39 players, but I'm gona add 50 player spawns just in case.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. feИRa

feИRa VIP

It looks a little bit small for 40ppl from the top view. But it's hard to judge until you try it.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  11. Panduh

Panduh I love ass VIP

lookin good to me

12. Vent Xekart

Vent Xekart VIP Bronze

I would love to play on it in the future once it's finished. I can't wait to see future updates!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. TheGreekOwl

TheGreekOwl Member

VER 0.1.9

[​IMG]

Ohhh, what's this? A new area?
    [​IMG]
    Yeap~

I decided to add the earlier idea from 0.1.3 where there were supposed to be older buildings from decades gone bye. Wooden buildings and the like, almost looking like a mini lighthouse map.

You can see in the middle, there's a three story building that leads to the middle concrete building, which also leads back to the main map.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's also some scaffolding which provides a secondary way to get back in the middle map, but its quite visible to other players.

I also added a back area, mostly because I am afraid of players just dumping bodies on to the water where other players wont be able to check.

The column thing may be a possibly T trap as well, the whole tower falling down and crushing anybody unlucky enough to be beneath it. The props could be permament, since there's another ladder to get back in the main map.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Beyond that, I also added a ticket stand or whatever in the middle of the train station terminal thing, mostly to have the place be interesting having to walk around it.

[​IMG]
    Finally, the garden area is pretty much done for now. I added another small platform, mostly because I thought there needed to be more space I guess.

I am now gearing up the map and preparing a playtest version.

There's a reason why I made finishing major designs in ver 0.3, mostly because through playtesting, I may have to change many areas, maybe even radically/dropping some altogether.

Until then, the next update will present a playable version.

I will ask people to give feedback, or even invite me to their servers if they plan on adding/testing the map.

0.1.9 I AM HERE

And onwards.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Is this still a thing?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Panduh

Panduh I love ass VIP

its looking good

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Robyn

Robyn Floof Moderator VIP Silver

+1 should be added to pts batch 5 so we can at least try it with a small playerbase.

• Agree Agree x 2