The Unfamiliar Map Initiative | A new map voting system.

Discussion in 'TTT Suggestions' started by Yawn., Feb 10, 2015.

1. Yawn.

Yawn. Previously known as Kindle, Books, Pages.

Let's keep this one short, and to the point.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hey, you there.
    We got a problem.
    We have thirty four maps in rotation.
    People only play about seven-eight of em'.
    That means only 20.58% of the current rotation is being played.
    The same maps, over and over.
    Same maps leads to same gameplay.
    Same gameplay leads to stale gameplay.
    Stale gameplay leads to people leaving.
    People leaving mean new people come, but we lose our friends and family.
    Don't lose your friends, stop playing the same maps.

Trembling-You: But how?
    Wise-Yawn: It's very simple.

People keep voting the same maps, because they know they like em'.
    But when you never try new maps, you only ever play the same maps.
    You like pizza, right? Everyone likes pizza. Except Sinz, he doesn't like nice things.
    It's like if you only ever ate pizza, cause' you like pizza.
    Well breaking news buddies, there's tons of other great stuff! Like ice cream, and steak.
    I don't care that you're a herbivore or whatever, you get the point.

Now, how can we stop this?
    By executing our freedom to restrict other's freedom.
    As in, limit the voting process!

[​IMG]
    Concept One: Every other (alternating) round, simply lock out the most popular voted maps.

Concept Two: Create two separate voting menus. Each one with a more limited number of maps to vote on; one with the most popularly voted maps, and the second with the not-so popular. Alternate the menus every round or so. Eliminate-replace maps from the unpopular menu to keep the flow going, and maneuver any to the popular section as seen fit.

Both of these options not only solving the issue of only the same X maps being played over and over, but allow us to discover new maps we haven't even tried yet; replace those who fail, with even more seeds to grow.

Click here for a post including clarifications and more information.

Click here for more information and the introduction of a new script.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Sinz

Sinz crumble VIP Silver

This ruined your entire thread for me. I love pizza.

On topic: Sounds like a decent idea.

• Funny x 4
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  3. Patrick

Patrick Ex-Deathrun Administrator VIP Silver

I won't believe it until I see a pic, of your snorting pizza.

4. Harry Potter

Harry Potter The Boy Who Lived VIP Emerald Bronze

+1

5. DocFox

DocFox The Best Is Yet To Come VIP Silver Emerald

Always thought something like this should be implemented.

+1 for concept one. Although it's been suggested before.

6. Turquoise

Turquoise Princess of Vanilla VIP

I think I get the idea you're trying to convey. Either a completely new one, or the Fretta-like one that selected a random few maps for the players to select. If not the latter, I'm all for it! +1 to the nth degree!

7. Yawn.

To clarify, I mean redesigning the current map vote menus we use. It would look the exact same, just have different maps on there to select/vote for. Concept one being, that we lock out the most popular maps. (Similar to how we lock out the previously played map, so it can't be revoted.) The second concept meaning that we have two variations of our current menu; one only including the most popular maps, and the other including the rest. Alternating between the two menus every couple rounds.

8. Turquoise

Turquoise Princess of Vanilla VIP

Ah, neat! Still +1 :>

9. Average Guy

Average Guy Averageness is subjective. VIP

+1 I like this idea a lot. Mostly because I am sick of dolls and Teen room. Hopefully this will solve the overplayed maps!

10. Yawn.

To begin, I recommend we create a basic heat map of what maps are played over a duration of time. (Say, two weeks. Resetting it every seven days.)

This will produce the results of what maps are indeed popular or played at all, and vise-versa. From there we could move forward with one of the above listed systems, or simply use the statistics and data to determine what maps to remove until the system is ready.

To create a heat map, we can just create a simple script such as that below.

Code:
    file.Append( "hellokitty.txt", "Map: "..game.GetMap().."\n")

file.Append API Link | game.GetMap API Link

It's quick and dirty, though if Highwon wanted he could add in a basic adding system so we don't have to take the raw output and utilize a third-party script to count the word frequency. With some minor SQL work, an actual heat map which shows the patterns and popularities of our voting menus could be displayed in-game via a ! command could be very possible.

Needless to say, we would just run that script/similar each time the map fully loads. (At first I thought about running it when the gamemode starts, but I'm not sure if that would trigger when the game resets after each round. Presumably not, but if so there's bound to be an API for it somewhere.)

11. BeautifulButterfly

BeautifulButterfly Float like a butterfly VIP

I would be a fan.

12. Wojack

Wojack Her king :3 VIP

+1

13. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

Pizza analogy would work better if it were one kind of pizza ordered over and over rather than trying new toppings, opposed to entirely different foods
    But I got the gist

I remember a thread like this made a couple months back, but it was about removing maps that aren't really played and replacing them with new ones

As for this suggestion, let me respond with a question: Why do people keep playing on the same maps, like Dolls, 67thway and TerrorTrain over others like Magma, Amsterdam and Camel Canyon? It's because the majority of people prefer those maps like Dolls and 67thway over ones like Magma and Amsterdam. If the majority of people are picking one map over another, couldn't we say that the majority of people would stay? If we began forcing people to pick the maps they dislike, what would we be gaining? I see what you're saying, with the "stale gameplay" agrument, but let me make a little point. I've been playing on Vanilla for several months now, a server with only 2 minecraft maps in rotation, and it still isn't bland for me. I can't say that about other people, but for me at least, it hasn't changed. Why? Well, because not every round is like the last. There's still a goal to achieve which keeps the game going, and it will always be there no matter the map. I also have never seen a person resign/leave due to "stale gameplay because of the repetition of certain maps". I'll leave it at that. If anyone can make sense of what I just wrote here, feel free to rebuttal.

Note: I'm not disagreeing with the suggestion itself, which is why there's no -1

-Python
    bring on the Disagrees and the Dislikes

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  14. Matt_Allen

Matt_Allen I'll miss you all VIP

@Python as a VIP+, I have what I like to call VIP+ influence. Basically, with my 4 votes, I decide what map we play. The majority of people will vote for a the map gets the most votes initially. It's scientific. As a result, a map that is getting voted isn't always the map the majority players like. I think this is a great idea, +1.

15. Espurr

Espurr #AlwaysStabEspurr Administrator VIP

+1, I love some of these "Un-Loved" maps but I never get to play them

16. Paradox

Paradox The One Eyed Ghoul Banned Elite

Muahahahaha kilroy was here +1 doe

17. Serious Lawyerbot

Serious Lawyerbot Supporter

-1 even though the reason we keep choosing the same maps is because of 1. Mob mentality and 2. People like those ultra popular map. call them pop-maps if you want. But i can guarantee every map is played otherwise highwon would have removed a lot of maps by now. Random map is quite nice ya know :p

18. Zypther

Zypther #SuitUp VIP Bronze Iron

+1 although I usually only play vanilla this is a good idea

19. ink

ink Genuine Happiness VIP Silver

I'm neutral to this concept.
    Pro: The current system to map rotation blocks previously played maps and creates a top 4-5 maps which are picked. If we force them to select out of the popular group every other round or so, we would end up with a top of 7-8 (depending on how strict of a concept it is). As a result, we would end up playing a variety of maps that players enjoy, leaving the overplayed dolls and teenroom.
    Con: The current system is basically allowing players to choose. If we force a set of maps[AKA our decision] onto players, it would neglect their decision. This forcing is basically how google+ came in. An unpopular social media site was forced onto people by the means of Youtube. The google+ requirement basically neglected the users[AKA players]'s opinions and forced their decision [our decision in this case]. There is a reason why some maps are popular and some are not. Forcing the unpopular ones would cause conflict between the majority being ignored and the minority winning . It's not like the players have not even tried the rest of the maps out; they have and they formed their decision of liking other ones, which is basically how we end up with a popular choice in the first place. The rule of not playing previous maps is enough of avoiding popular choices; having a more strict concept where the majority is 100% bound to lose sounds upsetting if you are one of the majority. If the maps are excellent, then players will vote and we would end up with a map naturally through election. So, if you really want to get diffrent maps, instead of revamping the choice menu, revamp the product [maps] so players get their own decision.
    Anyway, if this concept is being implemented anyway, first consider that most of our players are not on forums and do not get a say in this, so keep the concepts as flexible as possible. If we're going to do this, maybe keep a rule where our current system of choice is available if all the players decide to !rtv the map. Great concept, conflicting, but great.

20. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

Also, Random map is one of the most popular map choices
    If it's available, people will pick it over anything else, 95% of the time
    However if it's not, it's either 67thway or Dolls

• Agree Agree x 1