The SMC Monthly Hunger Games

Discussion in 'Archived Minecraft Discussion' started by Kyül, Feb 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyül

Kyül Caged Bird VIP Bronze

The premise is to get some players to help build a small sized (compared to most arenas) Hunger Game Arena. It would work just like the Hunger Games:
    -You are not allowed to take anything in with you
    -If you die, you dont take anything out with you (other than a small participation reward)
    -If you win, you can take all the stuff youve got from the chests and people youve killed with you + a small sum of gold
    It will be constructed in a similar fashion to the Cornucopia from the Hunger Games movie, where theres a large building with various loot in it to help you survive. But apart from that on the sides there will be small towers with some extra loot, and there will also be some sky islands with loot for you to get, or just to stay there.
    The Arena will be built in a way so that only the walls of the Arena are claimed, meaning anything inside the Arena is destroyable and lootable. That means the Arena will be "fixed" every time a game ends, since some things will have to be rebuilt. This will allow players to mine down and make small bases underground, or fight on the surface, slaughtering the other contestants.
    The loot will come from both donations from other players, which will be immortalized in the Arena Hall of Fame, along with the winners of every tournament; and also from basic common materials like wood, iron, stone or coal.
    There are so many things that will go into this if it becomes a reality, but thats just the basuc premise.
    I cant do this alone, so I will need people to volunteer to help build this Arena, and help make such a thing come true.
    To "monetize" this, just to pay the expenses of the rebuilding of the inside of the Arena, plus the rewards for the champion and rare loot in the arena, I had thought about setting up an organized betting system between players, using Gold as the main currency. The whole betting fund in the end will go: 35% to the champion, and the other 35% is split between all the players who bid on that champion prior to the tournament, and the other 30% go to the staff that arranged and built the tournament.

This could become the biggest thing ever made on SMC, but its still in really early stages, and again I cant do it alone, so I need to know if you guys support this idea. It will take some time to be fully developed and finished, but once it is, im sure it will be awesome.

Welp, thats all from me for now! Be sure to let me know what you think and if you are willing to help out.
    Cya guys around ;)
    -Kyle :penguin:

• Creative Creative x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. StrayHunter

StrayHunter Emerald

[noises of diekasta bowspamming in the distance]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

I think we should build the community on Survival Multiplayer before we expand to other gamemodes

I like the idea tho

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Kyül

But this would be a way to bring players together to do some PVP, which is unlikely to happen in the open since finding players spontaneously is really hard. It wouldnt necessarily be a different gamemode, just another community feature in the SMC survival server.

5. StrayHunter

StrayHunter Emerald

It's not THAT hard, i can sell you some coords if you want :sneaky:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Veno

Veno Emerald

Hey Kyle,

I like the idea of the community coming together for a project. I'm just not sure how the infrastructure could be built in order for the game to work efficiently and properly. For instance, preventing players from teleporting out and back into the arena, etc. If you're serious about this project, you may want to ask irritating & deathbyrussian whether or not it'd be feasible to implement a plugin of some sort in order to facilitate the project's viability.

Regards.

7. Kyül

I will ask them later on, but right now how I see it is that this Arena will be somewhat small, so monitoring players wouldnt be that difficult. If a contestant teleports out, he immediately gets disqualified. Im not sure how the teleporting in could be fixed, but im sure a solution will be come up with. Again, ill ask the devs if implementing small stuff like this as plugins could be an option. Still, thanks for the feedback man!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Zypther

Zypther #SuitUp VIP Bronze Iron

IM IN SO MUCH

9. Han

Han       VIP

I don't think it would be feasible at the current stage of the minecraft server. Hunger games in minecraft is possible, yes, but I've never seen it happen in a faction / pvp based world. It would work better as its own gamemode, but like I said earlier, I don't think that's achievable on our server right now. The devs will probably be focused on ironing out the glitches and issues people already have in survival, and not looking to introduce a new gamemode.

The issue with doing it on our current map is 1) the people 2) the construction 3) the gameplay. Starting with the people, I'm sure you understand that not everyone is nice on the server. That's how PvP is. How are you going to ward off trolls and people looking for free loot? What's stopping them from building into the arena and joining without approval? Furthermore, like Veno said, how will you keep contestants out / in? This could be solved by properly selecting candidates and refusing the people with poor attitudes, but the issue is those people with poor attitudes will probably resort to trolling to disrupt the event. Since this looks like it would be a community run, there's no actual way to curtail and prevent these people.

I was going to say construction would be a problem, but I think it would work to claim the entire area and just trust the people who are participating. No trolls building inside and it's safer that way.

Another large problem is the actual gameplay concerning the hunger games. How are you going to have the fires that spread to only one area? What about the hostile mobs / passive mobs? Let's say someone is low on food, how can they receive supplies from a sponsor? What happens if someone mines all the way down to the limit and just hides? It won't be fun to watch games when that happens. Same thing if someone just builds up and has a bow, can they just camp? Since there would be no disruptions like the fog, there's no incentive to move. A lot of these problems can be answered with a hungergames-type plugin, but once again, I don't think the devs would be looking to introduce something this early.

Anyway, that's my 0.02. I think hungergames with friends would be great, especially betraying friends when they trust you the most, :troll: but I just don't think it would work. I guess it could be possible to throw everyone into an arena and tell them to fight to the death without being too campy, but that's not really hungergames + there's still the risk of PvPers invading.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DieKasta

DieKasta :Blackalien: Forever VIP

Honestly, with enough effort this sort of thing would be technically achievable in SMC's current state. The issue is that it would require a ridiculous amount of effort and cooperation from absolutely everyone. I think it would be more trouble than what it's worth at this point in time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Kyül

I agree with you totally in the fact that trolling would be a big problem. The immediate solution I can think of to camping or some other stuff based in the arena is to (like you said) claim the whole Arena itself. The problem with that are the chests, since if they are claimed, nobody will be able to open them, but you cant JUST unclaim the chest and leave the rest of the area claimed. Although im thinking of some other solutions for the chest problem and I guess if the arena is hand-built with some depth it doesnt need to be a destroyable one. For stuff like mobs I had thought about spawners first, but thats not possible if they are claimed since nobody will be able to destroy them. Then I though about mob eggs but those are not obtainable at the current state of the market. My idea regarding the sponsors was to replace them completely with donators, that cant target the reward to a single player, instead if the player who picked up their donation won, they get a small percentage of the gold. The dinamic fire is something completely out of a regular players reach, and for that I would need help from the devs.

What I want people to understand is that this will take a WHILE to make and perfect, and im sure many problems will be fixed along the way. And if the devs are not as busy fixing bugs in the future, it would be awesome if they could help make this a reality. My intention was not to make it a gamemode, nor a mainstream kind of minigame in the servers, just a community event thats planed and selected really carefully. And again, I understand there are many problems with this, but I think with enough time and effort we can make it work.

Still, thanks for the feedback Han, its always appreciated. Take care man!

12. Kyül

You are right, at this point in time, it is. The community is still being built, bugs and problems are being fixed every day, and there are many trolls. But this doesnt have to be now or in a month. This could take a couple months to perfect and finish, and if enough people help perfect it, im sure itll work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.