The "Single RDM" reporting rule

Discussion in 'Rules and Protocol' started by CorallocinB, Jan 3, 2018.

1. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

Reference: https://www.seriousgmod.com/threads/before-filing-a-report.39119/

tl;dr: https://www.seriousgmod.com/threads/the-single-rdm-reporting-rule.46269/#post-467757

Someone who could give great insight as to what truly spawned that rule @ Falcor considering lead at the time. Insight/Clarify on the use of "limited resources."

To start this off: "Robo, can you just fucking leave this community already? You do nothing but cause trouble, stir the pot, and you don't even play. Like, just leave! We want to be aimless sheep in the burning hellscape that is SGM."

:finger:

Anyway, this rule at the time was very easily accepted. I BELIEVE just looking back based on the time of the re-posting of the thread when the staff team was in more shambles compared to now it was a needed rule. HOWEVER, to consider the staff's resources at this point in time with two TTT-centric owners, 4 of 12 admin lead teams with a SINGLE opening, and only 2 areas within the staffing team that require supervision from a lead or admin (compared to the past) it's down right lazy to consider that the staffing team right now has limited resources at this moment.

The staff team in terms of numbers is as robust as ever and if not a single staff member considers doing what is their job and enforce the rules on RDM, even if it could be a petty single offense, strictly because it is a petty report which these have been greatly frowned upon in the recent months and NOT BECAUSE it is a waste of staff resources because their resources are 'limited' then you should just clarify straight up to not deal with these single RDM offenses at all.

"But Robo, this current rule is not barring players from reporting for single offenses it's just encouraging them not to."

This is the fun part. This rule is as loosely followed as it is worded. These offenses are still actually taken care of by the staff, yet people will start arguments over reports like these. However, staff for this reason hold the right to not take care of it at all. So not only does just the wording of this in itself cause arguments between the reporter and the reported and anyone who gets involved if it makes it to SB, but the staff show that they're just too lazy to deal with the report itself at times. It's a rule to not RDM, the staff have the resources NOW to take care of the rules they must enforce, and do you want to know something else? Why is this strictly referring to RDM? I can find a million more petty reports about in-game or on-forum harassment than I can about a single RDM.

Either remove the rule, or make it so you just expose yourselves as lazy and say "We won't deal with reports about single offense RDM under any circumstances."

The reason to have a need to address this is to end the loose wording, the confusion of the rule based on that loose wording, the arguments caused by the loose wording, and finally take a stand on whether or not the staff team is stable as it is and can handle the rules they've set out to enforce.

Case closed.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    • Winner x 3
    • Confusing x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Dumb x 1
  2. Paradox

Paradox The One Eyed Ghoul Banned Elite

tldr k

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. twitch.tv/echostorm2k ⚔️

twitch.tv/echostorm2k ⚔️ screwdriver Banned VIP Silver

+1
    this rule was made ages ago when the staff team wasn't so big. all resources they have now are massive, if not unlimited. saying they have limited resources so you cant report for a single rdm is just stupid.
    so yeah either put up with it do your job and deal with it like a normal report or say you aint going to, just like robo said.

• Dumb Dumb x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Acnologia

Acnologia modern desperado VIP Silver

:finger:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Han

Han       VIP

It was originally made by Darktooth and Sinz, with Highwon probably being involved as well. Falcor made the replacement post since the staff try to keep current staff members in charge of official threads.

When it originally came out it specifically said "Do not report single cases of RDM. They will be declined." or something along the lines of that. After public pushback, the wording was changed to what it is now to discourage it instead of outright banning it.

I feel like the current post's wording is fine. It says "We encourage", not that it is a must. At the same time, staff should be fine handling them and shouldn't tell people to stop making them unless it's incredibly excessive and for constantly petty things.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

No. Single RDM reports are a waste of resources, mainly time. The victim wastes time typing the report, staff waste time handling the report, and at the end of the day all the punishment the offender recieves is a single slay. They're not online when they recieve it most of the time, because staff can just slay IPs, so the offender can hop after being slain for seemingly no reason at their end, and they don't learn.

Reporting single RDM cases is usually petty for the most part as well, not for "justice". If someone RDMs you one time, shrug it off. If they RDM you or another person again, that's more justified, as single RDMs are usually mistakes in the first place.

Unless a single case of RDM can be proof of toxic gameplay, which they can in rare cases, I don't see why this is anything to be added just so players can feel powerful when staff aren't online

• Dumb Dumb x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Aarow

Aarow VIP

https://www.seriousgmod.com/threads/report-against-janppa.46268/

I agree with Robo. Reports like the one above should not drag out like that and should not have people be reprimanded. Staff resources are not limited. Time is indeed a limited resource, but when you have 56 staff members, each having about 60 years left in their lives (give or take), you have centuries worth of time allotted to you. If you can't take the time to handle single RDM reports because of real life issues, you can always resign or let someone else take care of them.

Players should not be chastised simply because staff members are lazy. I would handle single RDM reports without complaint if I was ever staff because that's part of what I'd know I'd be signing up for. In fact, that's the whole reason to sign up. So players can feel secure in their playing. Players should not be punished for the lack of staff members online. The staff need to adjust themselves to better the experience of the players, not the other way around. This is a volunteer job. Nobody is making you do this. So please do not complain when asked to do it.

• Dumb Dumb x 10
    • Funny Funny x 4
  8. CorallocinB

Christ I didn't remember that first portion.

Nonetheless it's too loosely worded. It's a grey area that needs to be worked on. And like you said near the end of your post the caveat of "we encourage" it to not be done, yet they still do it anyway, BUT they also do add at the end many times try to not report for single offenses which in the end turns into a counter productive exercise. People still have reported for the single offenses many times even after being told not to. It's just a thing to put at the end of a report now to remind people that it exists which to me makes that verbiage useless. No one has lost posting privileges over this even after doing it so many times so why even add that at the end of a report? Why put the staff team in that grey area with this wording, either go back to the original state or allow people to report on others breaking the rules.

And again the importance of why the grey area needs to be removed is to prevent the arguments that have commonly spawned from reports made like this. It's a definite occurence that people get upset publicly about their report about an RDM and someone happens to mention that it's a single RDM why you a pissy donkey's mother. The change is to see several things happen: End those arguments, see where the staff is in terms of stability in that their resources aren't limited and they can handle this without the needless wording of that rule, or to see them go back to their status quo WHICH IN THE PAST WAS A LESSER STAFF TEAM AS A WHOLE numbers wise which would justify a "No single RDM report" rule.

So if we want to play Python's game of wasting time, that's a waste of time right there.

9. STONEY

STONEY I AM FIRE, I AM DEATH. VIP

SET IT IN STONE - Y! ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Python~

I got a couple things from this:

1. So because a staff member who basically has a part-time job on the servers doesn't take an extra half hour out of their life to complete a petty report you made, they should resign?
    2. And because staff have years of their life left they should waste it dealing with petty people who can't handle a simple mistake in a video game?
    3. Staff members are not lazy. They have requirements they must follow, 20 hours a week for starters. If you don't feel the way the current administration handles your dumbfounded reports, become staff and handle them yourself, if you can ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    4. Players should be punished for playing without a staff member. As you said, there are nearly 60 staff from around the globe. There is almost always a staff on at least one server, or if not, at least one is reachable by shoutbox
    5. "This is a volunteer job. Nobody is making you do this. So please do not complain when asked to do it." What does this even mean? Yes, they're volunteers. They do this for free and out of the goodwill of their hearts. So what you're saying is fuck that, they should do MORE because they don't meet up with your standards? Give me a break.

• Like Like x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

In the time it takes someone to fill out a single RDM report the next round would be playing so its all forgotten.

People actually care about single RDMs?

I don't even bother reporting them unless it was on a T round.

I cannot fathom caring enough to fill out a report for ONE RDM. If you really care about it maybe you should take a look at your life and getting upset over something so petty.

What do you expect to gain from a single RDM report? Wow! A SteamID will be given a slay when in 60% of cases the reported player wont come back so honestly what is the point?

Single RDM reports are pointless, I'd go as far to say all forum reports for RDM are pointless.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Confusing Confusing x 1
  12. Aarow

Aarow VIP

Please do not attack my character.

Also, you might need to chill out. You seem very angry lol you're not even staff

• Dumb Dumb x 4
  13. Python~

No I'm not, but I understand what it is like being staff. I'm not angry, but my points are sound and you have no rebuttal except to call me angry and maintain ignorance.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  14. Aarow

Aarow VIP

It is not maintaining ignorance. I'm not asking anyone to do what I myself am not willing to do.

• Dumb Dumb x 4
  15. Python~

And lastly I don't know why this suggestion was even made. @Robokiller87 probably just wants to stir up more shit with the staff team.

Show me ONE recent report that was denied because it was a single offense of RDM. Recent can be one in the last 3 months.
    Even if there is, there are probably a ton more single RDM cases that were dealt with just like any other report.

This suggestion is useless because it's not even a problem. Robo just needs an excuse to call the staff team lazy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  16. Aarow

Aarow VIP

If you reread what Robo and I have both said, you'll realize you're strawmanning here and arguing against something nobody said lol

• Dumb Dumb x 4
  17. Zypther

Zypther #SuitUp VIP Bronze Iron

+1, let the people clean those servers up usually those one RDM cases lead into multiple more rdms being found, leading to bans or slays, sometimes.

• Confusing Confusing x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. Python~

I'm just pointing out that it's not a problem so idk why you're trying to make it into one.

If this suggestion is accepted, what would it change besides a bit of text? Your ego maybe? More petty people reporting for petty reasons?

Think about that, and if you still believe this rule should be changed, you are lying to yourself for an excuse to be upset.

I can hear you drooling waiting for me to reply so you can rate me dumb. So this will be my last post here. Feel free to keep making yourself look like an idiot.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  19. Aarow

Aarow VIP

You seem to have a lot of inner issues you need to work out, because you've taken what should be a civil conversation too far in every single post that you've made. I hope you're feeling okay.

• Dumb Dumb x 4
  20. CorallocinB

I call it how I see it. It's the epitome of being lazy. "It's a petty issue, it's a single offense, we don't see the need to do this. Move on with your life you'll live."

So the difference between a report with 2 RDMs and a report with 1 is a number and all of a sudden it's a serious report with serious consequences.

Nonetheless you are also misconstruing what the actual post is being used to do.

To clarify for you people who are too LAZY to read (TL;DR):

1. Remove the grey area, either make it 100% not allowed or allow it entirely
    2. Yes this post is a more "Allow it entirely" centric argument which spawned from the loosely worded phrasing that the rule currently has, my argument only holds water based on the current ruling. However I've opened the door to allow those to argue their side and not to just argue against my statements. I've given arguments for both sides if you can see it.
    3. There's no sugar coating it here. The staff have resources now, more so than ever before, and considering their very public stance on "petty reports" this is another "petty issue" that should be resolved. If their stance on taking care of petty things is to just say "it's nothing move on" make it so.
    4. I've thrown many "what ifs" into this OP, something that many people have ACTUALLY USED IN THEIR ARGUMENTS TO PUSH A SUGGESTION IN THE PAST, nothing regarding factual information about a confirmed or denied report (aside from the ending reports with "do not report single offenses plox.")
    5. In the end this is to finally make it so that people won't argue about this loosely worded ruling with someone who reported for a single RDM. If the wording is absolute (YAY or NAY) that argument goes away.
    6. And to those who enforce the rule, to the point that it has always been enforced, leaving the tid-bit at the end of each single RDM report, "Don't make reports about single offenses" which is as lackadaisical as it come, make it comes with enforcement or just none at all. Why leave that bit at the end anyway if they're just going to do it again or if anyone else is just going to do it again? What's the point?
    7. @Zyp made a great comment that I want to help emphasize this can easily lead to more offenses found. Maybe not all the time, but it can be more worth than the worry it brings.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1