The Point of Denying Forgiveness?

Discussion in 'TTT Discussion' started by Noccam :^), Oct 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noccam :^)

Noccam :^) Regular Member

I seriously can't wrap my head around why denying forgiveness should ever be allowed or even an option. All it does is cause resentment between staff and players in the moment (and maybe even after), causing more stress on both sides. If the afflicted player forgives the perpetrator, why should the staff interject and say "No, I actually don't care that they forgave you, you deserve punishment." All that leads to is staff punishing those that they feel deserve it (which is incredibly biased and leads to unfair grounds of punishment), or staff who have fragile egos doubling down on their punishment because they don't want to appear wrong (which is clearly detrimental to the health of the overall community).

My question is this: Under what circumstances would denying forgiveness be not only a valid option, but the CORRECT option?

I have yet to find a scenario in which it is the better choice over just letting the player be forgiven.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. tz-

tz- feelin it VIP Emerald

fuck you get slain nerd

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Scrungy

Scrungy VIP

I like this, it brings up a good discussion. I have nothing to add other than that.
    Thank you.

Scrungy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. MemeDaddy

MemeDaddy VIP

Because if forgiveness is a thing we can’t ban players as often and as a result we can’t kill the player base off fast enough

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Scrungy

Scrungy VIP

Yet another good reply. I must add that I also have nothing to add of use other than a compliment.
    Thank you.

Scrungy

• Like Like x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Pokeben10

Pokeben10 tell me pretty lies Moderator VIP Silver

Staff can deny forgiveness if they feel that the RDMer should not be forgiven. This could be for a multitude of reasons- player has a history of RDM, the staff member feels the kill was a toxic one, etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Noccam :^)

That's incredibly vague still. Regardless, in the event that any of those conditions are met, the player that was killed still chose to forgive them. Its not like the perpetrator was automatically forgiven. The affected player decided that the kill wasn't important or malicious enough to warrant punish, so why would staff decide that it is? The only reason I can think of would be "to teach a lesson", but the only lesson that would be learned is that staff are punishing a certain player more than others.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Pokeben10

Pokeben10 tell me pretty lies Moderator VIP Silver

This is not a case of favoritism- if someone RDMs, they usually get punished if staff are online. The main reason you can forgive a player, I’m guessing, is if it was an accident.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Fiz

Fiz local jihad pro VIP Bronze

2. RDM chains and Mass RDM cannot be forgiven
    ~~~
    if you are toxic. and then you rdm someone for no good reason at all. and for some reason the player that you rdm’d forgives you, that doesn’t mean what you did was alright. imo allowing all forgiveness in some cases can promote more rdm and could lead to more bribing with points to get forgiven and cause more problems. there are also cases as poke said where the player could have a history or just be toxic in general, the player shouldn’t be given such leniency in that case. it’s not a case of favoritism or fragile egos, it’s not wanting to let players feel like they can get out of punishments for their wrongdoings all because they got forgiven. that’s just my view on it tho

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  10. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

It is pretty rare for me to not allow forgiveness, and i'd say most moderators seek forgiveness whenever they can. It is just more beneficial for us to have it so that we can deny the forgiveness if something fishy is going on. FIZ does a good job of explaining it above. It isn't fair to the other players in a Mass RDM situation if the player has part of his punishment forgiven. We just enjoy the flexibility.

But in actuality we just like banning people because that's totally the reason.

edit: IT WAS FIZ OMG HOW DID I THINK THAT WAS KYTHOL IT IS TOO FUCKIN EARLY

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Peter

Peter VIP

facts, I remember one time I forgave someone who RDM'd me and the prick mod was like "Cool. I don't forgive them though." and slayed them anyway, a real virginite

• Funny x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Dumb x 1
  12. [MZK]Lightning

[MZK]Lightning I've Been ... Thunderstruck!!! VIP Silver

Kythol's avatar is of a pink-haired woman, and Fiz's halloween avatar is one of spongebob with his pink brain exposed. That's what prolly threw you off @Pacifist !

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  13. Birddog6

Birddog6 VIP

if you dont allow forgiveness you have small peepee

• Agree x 3
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Dumb x 1
  14. Adlactor Nell

Adlactor Nell Advertiser Friendly, Right out of the box! VIP

O O stinky oopsie, mods did a poopsie

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  15. why even add forgiveness if you don't even accept it

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fiz

Fiz local jihad pro VIP Bronze

its accepted most of the time lol. theres just a few cases when it cant/shouldnt be accepted

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Noccam :^)

Since this post is relevant once again, I will say that I am still not convinced that denying forgiveness is a good thing for player relations, punishment and rehabilitation, and the community as a whole.

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Cash

Cash I staff the proper way Banned VIP

I mean we could just remove forgiveness as a whole, and have no forgiveness whatsoever

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Noccam :^)

Oooooor the inverse, you could ALWAYS allow forgiveness

• Dumb Dumb x 3
  20. Scrungy

Scrungy VIP

I agree with Noccam!1!

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
Thread Status: