The new N word: The F word!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xproplayer, Jan 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flan

Flan Banned VIP

Yeah and the n word is actually n0ble

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. RaYm0nD

RaYm0nD VIP Bronze

3. Pups

Pups VIP

You'll have to just get more inventive with your insults like a good mardy scutbag.

• Creative Creative x 1
  4. "uninstall the game" like how do you read that and not laugh at loud at how hilarious that phrase is

I think being braggadocious about things is okay
    every once in a while, but the whole enforcement may vary rule is heavily abused. I know certain assholes staff members that would claim harassment over mild incidents (sometimes ones they even started) and use it to exert their power over me. It's farcial. It's not about getting your feelings hurt. It's about genuinely being a toxic piece of shit to people.

Context is key, mi gente.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Etched

Etched That One Gay Guy VIP

I dont understand why people get so butthurt over words. You could call me the "f word" and I wouldn't mind in the slightest, I would more than likely call you it back.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. That's just childish.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. 4sea

4sea VIP

I fear we have a very different opinion about what 'the f word' is.
    I thought it was common knowledge that
    F is for friends who do stuff together.
    U is for you and me.
    N is for anywhere and anytime at all
    Down here in the deep blue sea

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

Ok so here's a thing I wanna put out there ok.

Just hear me out.

And if for whatever reason you've never heard it used like this or used it yourself in your younger years then you're sorta ignoring this fact and or are out of touch.

HEY RETARD

WHOA. What did I just say? Did I just call someone a human being who has some kind of mental deficiency?

DAMN man that's retarded!

What's this... a way to... call a THING, a THING without a BRAIN retarded? How can a thing without a brain be retarded?

There's something going on here that's been happening the last 15 years... the word... it's changing! Sure, people can and still will use Retard in a more proper way. HOWEVER, the word has evolved to the point that it's synonymous with 'stupid'. You don't ever, EVER, consider anyone saying or calling someone stupid malicious. People have and continue to shrug off retard.

Hey FAGGOT!

Oh my god! What happened? I'm a gay man and I should be ashamed of myself?

No! Not necessarily. You see, Faggot has evolved in the way that Retard has. It truly has. I cannot remember within the entire time I was within Middle school or High school or even College I ever heard anyone use the word Fag or Faggot in terms of "hey that's a gay person and I'll call this straight to his face."

I can see the issue here, but you can see the issue with Retard too. It's difficult to tell what the user is using the word within context. To hold Faggot to the same level as N****** which may I remind you has one and only 1 definition and has only ever had one definition not relating to Nigga since the first time it was used to me seems... outrageous. YEA, people will LIKELY get offended by being called a Faggot. You want to know why? There's a certain tinge of sharpness to the word and you can feel it when you say it. You'd say clearly Oh stupid isn't as bad as retarded, retarded is a bit more severe to say. But if you really want to drive home your point you could call someone a Faggot. I cannot begin to explain to you just how wrong people use this word compared to the original definition of the word (not talking about cigarettes). Their use of the word nowadays compared to the original definition is comparing night and day.

So. Here's what I am saying. Faggot whenever it is used is not always referring to Gay people and shaming them. It's a more edgy way of saying stupid or as someone said to me "It's a way to say to someone that they're incredibly out of touch and try to act oblivious about it." Which in all fairness can refer back to the base term stupid AND when you think about the history of the word Faggot, used in a time where being Gay was not accepted. This has most certainly been the evolution of the word.

In all, my argument is the N-word is not the same as Faggot and vice versa. Ignoring the cigarette definition, if Faggot is ever used when not referring to cigarettes it's not always for every time ever in the history of the world referring back to shaming gay people like the n-word would do for black people. Faggot has had a meaning change for the longest time and whoever has ever seen anyone used that word within the original meaning of the word lives with or knows of someone who is homophobic. In my generation or within my group of people I've ever came in contact with it has never been used like that. It was just a more edgy way to say stupid. I am not saying "we shouldn't punish people for saying Faggot because it's not harassment if you call someone stupid" what I am saying is "why outright refuse the use of it when there's clearly several meanings to the word?" I think 2 months ago I called someone's teacher a Faggot in Shoutbox for doing the most F*CKING outrageous and asinine projects and methods to complete these projects and was warned for using a Homophobic Slur. Does that make me homophobic or does that make me an edgy millennial or for you people who cannot accept the fact that this word has slowly undergone a definition shift does that make me a homophobic edgy millennial? How is that harassing anyone if they don't even and will never EVER know what I've ever said about them and furthermore use it in such a way as my intentions were NEVER meant to be homophobic?

Just replace Faggot with the N-word with whatever I've just said above and come to realize that you'd be out right banned for saying that or given a 20 mile rod up your butt as a reminder to not say it again or else this rod is coming out and you'll feel every inch of it + a ban. And anyone who has ever said Faggot in shoutbox got a stern warning (as anyone does when dealing with basic harassment protocol) and was never outright unannounced banned for it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  9. Zack

Zack Shepherd of Fire VIP

Good lord, no one gives a damn. Just don't use shit-tier words in your general dialogue and everything progresses smoothly.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. AAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAA coolgamer VIP

can i get a tl;dr

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Toest

Toest "I am the bus" ~ Falcor, all the time VIP

I dont think you realize that this word hurts gay people. I would rather have someone call me a faggot than use it to insult someone else. Sure its still offensive and I dont like it, but its a true statement. When you use it to describe someone else in an insulting way, you are saying that being gay is bad and giving it such a negative connotation. Please, think twice about the people you are hurting before you use this word.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Darth West

Darth West I am Darth West, Dark Lord of the Sith. VIP

I think you should be able to say whatever you want to say, because the idea of hate speech is fucking stupid.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  13. Bravo

Bravo VIP

There is however no reason this should be given an exceptional status as opposed to dozens of other words which are explicitly usable as group-slurs but would never be considered in the same context simply because of the social stigma. As an example - calling a German a Nazi because they are German is, to many, extremely offensive; yet we would never ban the usage of the word because that would be absurd. Picking and choosing individual words doesn't make sense - and for some perspective here, many offensive words are used as slurs but are viewed as common language. Picking out a collection of individual words will just result in a vocabulary minefield, especially given the ridiculous statements in this thread that "There is no point to use the word in any other sense of the term." when the word explicitly has a number of common English usages (including fucking food... which for some pretty damned serious context here - I ate yesterday for dinner) along with it being a regularly used piece of British slang.

As Robo said, there is a fundamental difference between a common English word that has an alternate offensive meaning and a word that exclusively exists as a word to denigrate people, was invented for the soul purpose of insulting people. To use one in a normal context is entirely plausible because it HAS alternate meanings, but to use the other in a way with any meaningful context is impossible, as the sole meaning for the word is offensive.

To be clear - I'm not defending the usage of the word in an attempt at insulting people (or insulting people in general), however that should be up to the person it is aimed at to report as harassment, not down to random un-involved people to get involved in, nor down to staff to intervene without . Otherwise there are a whole slew of other words that are currently used with little restriction that should without a shadow of a doubt be included.

TL;DR - Specific, multi-context words (with no offensive usages) should not be given exceptional status as, essentially, banned words. These words should however be treated exactly the same as any other attempted insult.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Toest

Can anyone honestly tell me that they regularly use fag meaning anything other than gay person?

15. Toest

DAMN THIS IS SO GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Darth West

I'm sorry I don't think you understand what I meant by that video. I meant that as a way to make fun of people. That video is fucking stupid and its message is even stupider. Unless you ban all negative words then banning certain words because they're this years "bad word" is hypocritical. I think that people that want to ban 'Nigger' and 'Faggot' are stupid. I think that people that are called 'Nigger' and 'Faggot' and get overly upset and want to ban the speech of the person that said it is stupid. iDubbbz did a really good video on it when he did the Tana content cop video. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Love, West

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  17. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

Any time I've ever used the word, whether recently within SB or anywhere else in any other game or community within the time I've been on the internet I've never used it as a homophobic slur. But you don't need me to tell you that again as I've stated in my huge baby boy post.

Several others have used it within SB recently I can only remember Nilz's name as one of them. Others have used Fag casually too just within this last week. The SB logs in admin hidden threads can confirm this. Warnings for the word use have been hit and miss even though they were all used the same way.

Technically it can be banned considering the wording of the rule as pointed out by @Agent A outright bans all group based slurs. Faggot and N-word were just used as examples.

I would've let your post gone by as completely valid, however this what you pointed out is wrong in that when I've used the word it has never meant this.

Yea we can all get behind the however old video of Wanda Sykes when she was high in popularity 10 years ago. It still happens because do you want to know why? I'm not seeing the entire nation fall apart at the seams from people STILL NOW TODAY using the way gay as a way to say stupid. Retard is the same. Faggot has followed the same path. IN NO WAY HAVE THESE WORDS EVER UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED BY THE USER BEEN USED WITHIN THEIR ORIGINAL INTENDED DEFINED CONSEQUENCE.

18. Bravo

Bravo VIP

For some perspective - I literally ate these - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food) - this weekend with my Sunday dinner, and even though there has been a gradual shift towards Americanism in modern British language, the word fag is still primarily used as slang for a cigarette and far more rarely as an insult (though, even when I was at school 10-15 years ago, it had started to become a more commonly used insult - prior to the turn of the millennium it was basically not a thing in the region I live in). As someone who lives in the countryside, I am familiar with, though don't ever use, the bundle of sticks usage for the word (as wood based fires are still used in some of the houses where I live), though had always been lead to believe it was spelled with a single g.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Toest

so why cant you just say its stupid? why do you have to use such a harsh word that could offend someone

20. Darth West

What about people that are mental retarded? Maybe you shouldn't say things are stupid, because that could offend them.

Banning words for offense is a never ending cycle, just like feelings.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.