Taking it too far and the ramifications

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Highwon, Apr 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Togo ✿

Togo ✿ Nobody Gets it VIP Silver

i ment is was higwon choice not to unban them after they said it was gun and womp who did the email spam

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  2. Gonco

Gonco white knight VIP

if ur over the age of 16 and do that kind of shit on a gmod community. rethink ur social life and attitude

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Siddo

Siddo Banned VIP Bronze

Afraid not, case in point: me. And I've seen others (Robokiller, for instance) who have not claimed absolute knowledge of it being justified.

As mentioned, I'm trusting their decision. That does not mean I necessarily believe it is 100% justified.
    Like I said previously, I don't know if all of it is justified and I do find some of the bans questionable, based on what I know.

However
    I still trust in the verdict given.
    For one, the people who gave it know more than I do. Furthermore, they certainly have more experience dealing with stuff like this than I do.

I find it a little unfair that some people are just rating you dumb (or in Togo's case outright calling you it), but I think it's because of how you're arguing your position, e.g. your remark toward Butters.

I don't know if it applies to you, but personally I can get a bit too emotionally invested in some arguments, particularly if they pertain to injustice toward my friends.
    Arty, I like you and messing around with you in MC was fun (while it lasted).
    So, as an acquaintance, I'd advise you to stay on point if you're going to argue against (some of) the bans.
    Lashing out at others is just going to rile them up/turn them against you and then each side fortifies its own position, not caring about the points of the other party.

I trust you when you say that you care about the community, fairness, etc., even if you sometimes get carried away in discussions.
    Point out why you believe some of these bans to be too harsh or unwarranted. If and when people disagree, accept that and try to refute their points if you think they're wrong. That would show you caring.
    The "you're hypocrites" and "you're toxic" approach is.. well, going to get you dumb ratings and people not necessarily considering what you're saying.

TL;DR: Discuss the ideas, not the people advocating them.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

Apologies for the delayed response, I was reaccomadated for a week.

I see a lot of people saying that they all deserved it because none of them were "innocent", and yes, when 1/11 happened, they weren't. That was 3 months ago, so why should they be punished for it now?

The only parties involved were GunAndBomb, for sharing the e-mail, and Wompzilla, who spammed it. Note that Wompzilla is permabanned, so he has nothing to lose by doing this. Gun, big surprise, is also permabanned, and acted on his own accord.

Rogers, ryan, Steve, Anna, Sinz, and Clutch (who doesn't even hang around anyone involved in the Discord channel) had done nothing wrong this time around. They even witch-hunted Gun and Womp after they realized they had been banned

Sinz was in Paris for god's sake. What could he have possibly done to be banned for a year?
    Rogers was still serving his ban when this happened. What had he done to deserve a year-long extension?
    And Anna? Really?

Yes, I do believe some of the members were toxic, and the ban -- while still harsh -- was acceptable for Steve and ryan, however, this is unrelated to the e-mail scandal that happened solely between two permabanned users.

Highwon, yes, you had the power to do so. I understand the trouble they have caused in the past, however there is no reason for banning these members for a year, especially when most were trying to clean up their act or weren't involved at all (Clutch). I don't know how you justify these bans off an offense they reprimanded even within their own circle. They didn't justify it, so how can you justify this?

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  5. Xproplayer

Xproplayer VIP Silver

The issue is many if not all of the folks did not keep their noses clean since 1/11, some folks are more guilty than others, and this will be considered if / when they appeal.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Graze

Graze Zzz... VIP Silver

This thread is taking it too far. Let it die~

• Agree x 9
    • Disagree x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.