Taking it too far and the ramifications

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Highwon, Apr 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DieKasta

DieKasta :Blackalien: Forever VIP

I find it funny how "drama" works. On one hand it's something we try to avoid because it gets people's emotions riled up and stupid actions occur as a result. On the other hand, when any sort of drama goes down there is a spike of interest in the community. It's a pretty vicious cycle but I'm starting to think that without any sort of interpersonal drama, this community might not be as big or successful as it is today.

I'd almost go as far to say that, as dumb as it sounds, drama is the fuel that ultimately keeps a community like this interesting. Food for thought.

• Agree x 7
    • Informative x 5
    • Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  2. Juice Juice™

Juice Juice™ VIP Emerald Bronze

Next time on 60 minutes: Highwon's REAL agenda- What is SGM Really doing to your children?

• Funny Funny x 7
  3. Chastity4lyfe

Chastity4lyfe *Eye roll* VIP Silver

[​IMG]

pretty much everyone

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Salisian

Salisian An unbroken series of successful gestures VIP

This is why conspiracy to commit is a thing in the legal system. There's no telling how many inchoate offenses against Highwon have been planned, or potential offenses of opportunity (such as the email thing.) At the point at which the group of friends created a banner that had as its stated goal the intent to commit a crime against SGM, anyone who didn't distance themselves immediately was automatically guilty of conspiracy. Anyone who didn't tell Highwon immediately is also guilty of abetting. Every single person who was in that channel is guilty of these things.

When the light comes on, the conspirators scatter like roaches. Some will realize what they were doing was wrong- this makes them no less guilty, but usually merits lenience. But at that point, you have to consider friendship ties among every single pair of people- even a person who is temporarily contrite is still friends with the people they were friends with before, and can be enticed or used. Even a couple strands remaining on that spiderweb are enough to let the structure stand, and you get stuff happening like what happened to cause this post. Does that mean we have to ban every friend, friend of a friend, and friend of a friend of a friend of Anna's? Probably not, but if we don't, this stuff will keep cropping up for a while. And since the list of banned people doesn't extend that far, I'm telling you this whole deal isn't over yet, and we'll be back here in a little while, for better or for worse.

I say "for better or for worse" because there are some people involved who haven't been banned and who haven't decided on which side they fall. Subsequent events will usually help decide their fate; and whether you think people's being banned is good or bad is a matter of opinion.

Also, tangential personal opinion: anyone who uses "Drama" as a dismissive qualifier is an asshole. Interpersonal relationships are fucking serious, even on the internet, and any three people have a hard enough time agreeing on where to go for dinner, much less on how to conduct themselves morally.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Juice Juice™

Except how are we to know who actually knew what was going on? Lets take me for example: I knew and was friends with quite a number of the people who were part of the event. I was in no way involved in the event, or any of the things before or after it. Being online, some of the group itself, maybe even the core group, might not even know internally what was or wasn't a joke, especially when things were starting to become toxic. Some people wouldn't have the same level of knowledge of others. Some people might have completely different view of another person than another, within that group, and make an honest mistake by sharing something they shouldn't have. Some people might even have been part of the channel, and not even looked at it more than once or twice. Am I generalizing here? Making assumptions? Yes. But so are you.

There was a relatively recent case in the US in which a man lent his car out to a friend. This friend went out and robbed a bank, and I believe killed a man in the process. The owner of the car, who had absolutely nothing to do with the robbery other than lending his friend his car, was charged with the same crimes as the rest of the robbers. Does anyone find it reasonable that a man who was simply being nice to his friend should be punished to the same severity as the criminals?

We don't know what happened. All we know is that Highwon says it is justified. I know enough to know that some of it is justified, but if I find it impossible that everyone who was banned deserved it, just based on what I know of those people and what I do know of the situation.

And I'm going to leave it at this: I disagree with Highwon on this. I openly admit I am friends with members of 1/11 and their supporters. I also have wanted nothing but good for the community, and I believe my actions clearly reflect that, even if they are occasionally misguided. Should I be banned because I know these people? A loyal and constant member of the community?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Daddy Nexxus

Daddy Nexxus Toxi-Fessional VIP

This is a video game.... What the fuck are you talking about "professional"?

• Dumb Dumb x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Juice Juice™

For a lot of us, this is a community of friends. For some, family. I personally have a shitty life, and am part of the latter category.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Daddy Nexxus

Okay, that's true and I don't disagree with that at all.. But a lot of people put on a really pretentious attitude around here. This is a gaming community... I could type more but I don't really care to..

Edit : A lot of you will grow up some day and understand why I am this way.

Edit again because I decided I do care to type more : I'm really numb to the problems of gaming communities.. Coming from Hellzone with a crazy leader and rediculous issues otherwise, it kind of becomes really superfluous. And the fact that some people really need to learn to focus less on stressing so much about what happens on the internet. This all combined just really gives me that "why the fuck do you people care so much" attitude. I used to be the same way, giving many a fuck towards vidya games. Times have changed.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Salisian

Salisian An unbroken series of successful gestures VIP

Meaningful, lasting relationships can be made in any place when you're not too busy showing everyone you're too cool for school.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. tz-

tz- feelin it VIP Emerald

I'm talking about how people present themselves in a professional manner, you know, as if they actually want to have a meaningful conversation that can reach some sort of conclusion that pleases the majority/community.

Obviously you do not posses this as shown by your comments.

P.S. This isn't a game, this is a forum thread where people are actually trying to better the community instead of smearing shit all over the walls.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Daddy Nexxus

Well as we're now having a conversation I'd like to say : It doesn't really look like the back and forth in this thread is going anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tanman52431

tanman52431 Supporter

DaddyNexxus, I totally agree with you man. Nothing worth stressing over, I just feel like Highwon unfairly banned many great admins. The community feels more shallow now, then again I've seen so many great ttt communities die in the past. Learn to enjoy it while it last :)

13. Zikeji

Zikeji Repoleved VIP Emerald

Just wanted to drop in and say I found this a little ironic.

Also, regardless of this being a gaming community, the experiences here for some of us can be used down the line. I know I used Highwon as a professional reference when I was applying to my first jobs. Not saying his reference got me the job, but it gave me one extra professional reference which helps appearances.

One thing I live by is "don't burn bridges". There's no telling when some experience in a "gaming community" can become relevant IRL.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Lightning

Lightning Bringing the Thunder VIP

• This user has been warned for posting this reply.
    RIP my niggas

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. tz-

That's the point of a conversation, people are expressing what they feel and then other people are responding to those feelings with their own. The conversation doesn't necessarily have to come resolve, it just has to progress at least a little bit, which for the most part, they all are.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. Daddy Nexxus

Remember how I said people are pretentious? Although it's a stretch of it... Please don't assume anything about me based off what I post on here :| you don't know anything about me

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. tz-

I didn't assume anything, your previous posts show what they show.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. Juice Juice™

Just going to add to this a little, but my best friend RL got his first job because of references he got from his TF2 Deathrun server. People can respect professionally the behavior of people in almost any situation, especially when that person is being held to a higher standard.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Daddy Nexxus

Well, I guess then I can guess from your posts your a pretentious asshole who nobody actually likes in real life? Stop acting like you're better than everyone :D

Edit: Acting like you're better than anyone.

Humility :)

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Daddy Nexxus

With that I take my leave from the thread, have a good day all

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.