Suicide ❤

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Stocking ❤, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Stocking ❤

Stocking ❤ Repent VIP Bronze

I'm going to be rambling semi-seriously about a really sensitive thing on a personal level for no reason. If you don't have any kind of trigger with this then feel free to read it. If you do and read it anyway, well: Shut the fuck up.
    You've been warned.

Right off the bat, you're already probably thinking: "Wow, could this asshole have used a more clickbaity thread title?"
    My answer to that: "Probably, but I'm dumb and very bad at writing and also I answer obviously rhetorical questions."

I'd like to talk to this community, seeing as it's the only community I've been a part of (although lightly as of late) about a problem that's been plaguing me for a while. By the way, if you don't like colorful word walls, well you're shit out of luck. Suicide (I say, trying to segue and drop the title at the same time) is a really scary concept. It's about "Death," the big bad thing that we, "The Living," like to run from; pretty much since forever, I might add. Not only does it involve somebody dying, but it's about somebody choosing to die, and enacting that choice. Normally, it's something people attribute to mental illness, depression, that one kid on Xbox Live that fucked your mom, or some other kind of horrible melancholy. But, recently I've put a lot of thought into it. (And by that I mean almost a decade.) Why do we consider it to be a bad thing?

I can already hear you typing, "What the fuck? Of course suicide is a bad thing, it's literally killing yourself." Well, okay fair point hypothetical reader who I myself fabricated. It's not a good thing for those who want to keep living, people who on a good day can see value in their lives. People who can give their actions and words intrinsic value, and love their part in the world, truly. For those people: here's a gif of a dancing puppy, talk to a therapist about your depression, things are going to get better, I'm sure of it. But, if you're like me and think about suicide when you're feeling alright, well what the hell are you supposed to do? I'm not talking about people who are aching to die, who want to escape some sort of pain. Just people who don't see a purpose for themselves, who don't want a purpose. People who just want to rest. Shouldn't people like that have suicide as an option?

Again, I'm not talking about people who are sad and want to escape. I'm talking about people who are feeling well and will die happy. Someone like that doesn't need a help line. They don't need people telling them "It'll destroy those close to you." My grandfather died, I wasn't turned inside out and blown up. That's life, it hurts, we all get over it. What they need to know is that they have an option, that life is an option. For those who want to live it, feel free I'm never going to stop you. You're all fantastic people, even when you're at your lowest. But this stigma against people who want out is unhelpful, it's toxic. Most people will choose life if you give them the option, they won't feel shunned by people and won't make a decision that they'd regret. But if you treat them like a criminal for something that's completely natural, then you lose a lot of trust. I know that from personal experience.

Okay, I don't think that I'm even remotely smart enough to talk about this. I'm most likely going to garner a little bit of hatred for talking about this in the way that I am. It's very likely that the people I talk about in this post are just alluding to myself (thanks Freud, you asshole.) But I don't feel like in an age where the hottest thing to say is "lol i want to fucking die" that we should view that as "lol i want to commit a fucking class c felony." Sure, that law isn't enforced but in my experience, if you talk to your therapist about it they're going to switch into "protocol mode" faster than you can pull your foot out of your mouth. Maybe it's different as an adult, but I'm not quite certain of that. (If anyone would like to share that'd be great.) Despite my rambling, I think at the end of the day my point is this:

Talking somebody out of something is not the same as talking somebody through something. Suicide is something that's very personal, for some people it's a huge part of their lives. Instead of feeling scared of it, people need to feel comfortable with it. That's my view of the whole dealio. If anyone else has some wisdom to share, please do. I'm very intrigued to see what SGM thinks about this thing that's kind of taken a hold on my life.

Anyway, smash that mf like button, comment on the video and subscribe. 'Till next time. C-ya.

• Like x 4
    • Friendly x 4
    • Creative x 4
    • Disagree x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • Dislike x 2
    • Optimistic x 2
    • Dumb x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
  2. I did not read any of it because I'm in a hurry but I'm sure it was good (y)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. .shirt

.shirt VIP

Can i get a TL;DR?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

Im gonna pre-face my response to this post with this just quick clarification and then go into my shit.

yes it's natural yes people shouldnt be viewed as criminals
    no they must be barred
    no they must be monitored
    no they should be shunned from doing it
    no it shouldnt be condoned

as someone who doesnt give a flying fuck about all yall's fucking religion whether it's how you view the after life or reincarnation i speak from a purely dull and realistic stand point in that none of that truly exists you speak out of your ass and to think it's a possibility to actually counteract my 'no' statements i'll label you insane. not saying you stocking are doing that (yet?) just anyone who will come out and say that you're dead to me and ill have nothing to do with you in this talk if it progresses

so what am i getting at, im getting at you get 1 chance 1 opportunity. yolo not only is it a shitty meme and way of life it's a warning and a grim one at that dont be stupid with the life you've been given you have no guarantees after you die if you commit suicide you lose any chance of existence that we can fathom right here right now and to bet on anything afterwards is asinine therefore

you life for the now you must be prevented from committing suicide you shouldnt kill yourself you must be monitored you should be teached that it's bad and it shouldn't be condoned

nonetheless in the end it's a natural feeling because it's the feeling of depression loneliness and insignificance and in the end you find your path to not succumb to those feelings

in the end i guarantee everyone at 1 point thinks about suicide it's those who commit to performing the act that are dangerous and require the extra attention and everyone else may ponder the thought or think what their life means to them and what they want to do not only does it make you depressed it can make you driven to work your life to be the best it can be

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Stocking ❤

Suicidal people shouldn't be pressured into a choice in general, and the process for which suicidal people are treated by therapists should support that.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. .shirt

.shirt VIP

Soooo you mean let the doctor do his work?

7. CorallocinB

assisted suicide is dumb

8. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

I briefly skimmed over the thread, ngl, cause the colour scheme is fucking awful, but this quote stood out to me.

For a couple reasons, firstly I really don't think this is a healthy viewpoint to have, you don't have to have a defined purpose? No one is born with the purpose of being a footballer or being a police offer, its choices we as human beings make or in cases settle for.
    And to carry on, to not want a purpose I feel is a reflection on your mental state and despite your opinion should speak to someone, because to feel like that is utterly bizarre, speaking as someone whos watched a close family member battle with depression after abuse at no point would they ever not want a purpose, they always wanted to be back to being happy and that for them was the purpose they had. Now despite their physical illness still finds the motivation and go to actually put effort into what she does even if its only a little, those little goals help ever so much. We have bad days and I worry more now that I'm not at home but its taken us years to get to the point in which I was happy that she had a new purpose.

At no point should you want to rest, yeah life shit, my best friend just lost her gran not long after losing her mum, she had only just gone to University after working for so hard, but shes so motivated to come back her in 2 weeks because despite all the shit she didn't deserve, her motivations to have a purpose shine through. If someone who's had her life in pieces twice in under a year is managing to put herself forward then I feel anyone can.

Obviously there are limits to this viewpoint, in the case of when you physically cannot function as a human being through either disability or horrific accidents then thats a different discussion on a whole different topic but your focus seems to be mental, and yes I get that every situation is unique and people have vastly different experiences but I find it hard to agree with you thinking you should just... go? You have very little in the terms of a good argument for your viewpoint, which considering that you thought the colour scheme was more important might suggest a lot (and the copious amount of jokes don't do you man favours), but as I said before if you cannot find a purpose then thats something of an issue for your own personal mindset and isn't something you should be forcing upon others.

Little things such as going to the fucking shops can be huge for people, thats a purpose, everything you decide to do is done with purpose. I make a cup of tea? Theres a purpose. I call my friends? Theres a purpose.

Things don't have to be huge to be important is what I guess you should take away from my ramblings.

Also this got waaay to deep and personal for the fucking cynical british dude who hates everything but hey...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

Just because you don't see something doesn't mean it's non-existent. Some people take decades to find their purpose, others think they've accomplished what they want to do in life, and end it at the pinnacle.

There are so many things to do, people to meet, places to go, sights to see, sounds to hear, emotions to feel. To say you have no purpose is ignorant, because I doubt you've experienced everything

You have one life. Don't accept average. Continue improving, exploring, learning, climbing, running.

Death motivates us as humans to strive for the best we can be, from the moment we're born, to the minute we close our eyes for the last time.

No wonder people who threaten to take their own life are needed to be reminded of that fear. Life is not something to take lightly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Stocking ❤

That is technically what I'm saying. People who are suicidal because of another problem, like depression, should definitely be barred and monitored because they are not fully in control of their actions. But a person of sane mind who knows well what they're doing should not be put under the same treatment, and their options shouldn't be "grayed out" so to speak. At that point, it should be a choice.

11. Graze

Graze Zzz... VIP Silver

One way to see it, suicide costs money. The person who is committing suicide is immediately causing the people around them to have to pay for their lack of wanting to be alive. The way you go out could be messy or not, but regardless of this, there will be costs to you ending your life. Morticians, Doctors, Coroners, Police, and your family will all have to pay a non-trivial amount of money because you made the choice to end your life, and this is something that you don't have to handle or face the burdens of at all. This alone is something that adds to the criminal aspect of suicide. This isn't to say that criminalizing sucicide is right, which it isn't and most states do not pursue people who have attempted suicide criminally, but it still is what it is.

Personally, I see suicide and depression as normal human tendencies. But if you kill yourself, that's it. You don't get to watch TV anymore, you don't get to do anything at all anymore. That's literally the end of the line. Sure you won't hurt anymore, but you also won't have the chance to stop hurting anymore, and you also won't have the smaller things in life anymore that you care about.

Your actions also have consequences. Regardless of what you think or feel, your time on earth has impacted each and every person that you've met in some way or another, all to varying degrees of severity. You in your post stated:

"That's life, it hurts, we all get over it."

Which shows that you know that literally nothing in life is forever. That doesn't mean that the pain and frustration that you will be causing people by dying doesn't exist. That also shows that the feelings of anguish that you are feeling are also something that could pass. I see it as two options. You can die, which means you have nothing ever again, or you live and have a chance to find something new. There is clearly more weight in choosing to push through it than not, but you might disagree with me. Afterall, everything I've said is an opinion overall.

To want to end your own life due to purely emotional reasons is not beneficial, and having therapists tell suicidal people that it's okay to just end it all is literally the opposite of the idea of therapy.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Graze

Graze Zzz... VIP Silver

Stalking, are you saying that someone who isn't depressed or sick and just simply wants to commit suicide should be allowed to commit suicide?

13. CorallocinB

Ok so of a sane mind. They want to commit suicide not because of loneliness, depression, or insignificance but just because? Answer that and I'll add on to this so im not rambling and making this confusing.

That's exactly what I was just getting at so I wanna know that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I'll be honest here and now this is a real talk topic and forum post so DON'T READ ON IF YOU'RE GONNA GET MAD!

I was always bullied my whole life and suicide was a main part of my life for most of it. I was put into a Hospital cause I was going to commit the act on Christmas when school would be out and no one would know. And it defiantly made me have a better grasp at life and I think that if you're suicidal you're not a criminal no but you're defiantly needing to be monitored and it will break your family apart if your family is really really really close like mine is we always hang out and have family events. Maybe my point is different than yours but I will say that your view I'm not mad at. But I will say that depressed people arn't any different from the other person.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Stocking ❤

Is it weird to just want to? I'm perfectly fine right now by pretty much all standards, and have been for a while. SWIM wants to take their own life, just because that's the course they'd like to take. Maybe SWIM should get that looked at? :\

16. Graze

Graze Zzz... VIP Silver

If you want to end your life "just because", that doesn't sound very sane to me.

• Agree Agree x 7
  17. Like this post says it doesn't sound like everything is okay, something is wrong you just don't know it.

18. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

1: "I'm bored, what do you wanna do?"
    2: "Take our own lives?"
    1: "Sure, YOLO"
    2: "I'll get the rope"

like what?

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. CorallocinB

It's weird in that it's absolutely not true.

Ok so they dont want to commit suicide for my 3 main reasons listed. They want to because they can. Well, here's why that doesn't make sense. People don't do it because they just want to because they can, they do it because they always have a reason. There's always an ulterior motive. Humans are instinctual creatures and they're impulsive. They're known for doing things for a reason they see benefits them well and benefits them now. Suicide fits that bill if it fits removing the pain of life from them. You don't just decide to commit suicide with no motives.

Now you may say "That's a stigma made around suicide and this view needs to be broadened or redefined" but from an entirely logical stand-point that's just no true just excluding suicide people don't do anything for no reason they do everything for a reason and suicide is included.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Stocking ❤

A lot to respond to, but hopefully this gets the broad stroke here. Maybe it's out of fear of the future or maybe it's out of regret of the past, but those aren't mental health issues. If somebody wanted out, and thought in clear conscience that it was the correct course to take, wouldn't that be technically be their choice? Maybe there's a piece I'm missing here.