Stop Making Fun Of Autism

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by ThatAintFalco, Jul 15, 2017.

1. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

You're treated the same as anyone else is treated.

With

Or

Without

Respect.

Reality is harsh. Has been since the beginning of time.

• Agree Agree x 8
  2. BorkWoof

BorkWoof VIP

I mean on the internet you should just learn to take "You're a fucking jew." or "Nice job, faggot" with a grain of salt. They aren't trying to insult jews and such, just you. Like an alternative way of saying you're stupid or dumb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mae

mae angelic VIP Emerald

MAN UP

(y)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. Acnologia

Acnologia modern desperado VIP Silver

You're trying to bring change and awareness about a really common insult in a Garry's Mod gaming forum. Yeah, that's like making people stop saying bad words at home and expecting it to happen everywhere else. It's a phase, like Noctorious has said above:

It'll change soon enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Brahma

Brahma Homecoming. VIP Silver

Friendly banter use? I do and it's internet, you will run into a lot of people like this. One day you'll just have to suck it up because its the internet and you'll notice most of the time its people having fun (like certain friend groups who like to insult each other for fun.)

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Siddo

Siddo Banned VIP Bronze

Aite, so..

If I recall correctly, autists often have issues with (that is to say, most can't) distinguish between sarcasm and earnest opinions, etc.
    Autists literally take things literally :^)

And given that I'm not an autist I'm afraid I don't have the golden answer to how to cope with that.

The easiest and most common solution is quite simply to just not give a fuck and move on, has a pretty damn high success rate.

But assuming that to be impossible..

Just do your best to not take it too close to heart; if someone tries to insult you over being an autist, just say "Yeah, what about it?"
    Like, who gives a shit familia?
    You are, just own it.

And if someone takes time out of their day to call you a <insert insults here> (autist), accept that and think of something else.
    If you can't ignore it, just take it and leave it. If you can't ignore the bad shit, just focus on the good stuff, e.g. friends, family, whatevs homes.

Most autists I've worked with are absolutely lovely and sweet and sometimes quite silly.
    Chances are that, despite your quirks, you're a pretty nice dude.

That being said, I'll make fun of whatever I please (not that I'm very funny but I can try).
    Laughing at things is good; healthy.
    Suppressing ourselves or trying to pretend something isn't there is bad; unhealthy.
    Laughter brings people closer to each other.

Instead of seeing you as weird, we laugh and smile and think of you as funny because you're weird.
    Instead of just being something we don't understand, you become someone we like.
    When we laugh, we can turn something negative ("wow what a weird kid") into something positive ("that's kinda funny").
    Being able to laugh at yourself is a very great thing indeed, so try to.

That said people can make mean jokes and if you can't laugh at them, just don't focus on it/dwell on it.
    Focus on something better.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  7. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

[​IMG]
    This is an acoustic child. You have to understand that words like autistic and gay are words that are given a lot of power. It's like hte N word, people don't say it because it has been hailed as this word that if muttered will destroy everyone around you. These words get so much power from people who don't understand that most of the time these words are used to a comedic effect. The acoustic child is just funny. It's not meant to say "Fuck all kids with autism, and fuck autistic people" it's just there to say that it's ok to laugh at stuff like that. Cancer sucks, Autism sucks and so do things like AIDS... that's why people joke about it. You either man up and accept that life is short and that you will probably die in a horrific fashion. Once you accept that, you can just sit back and make edgy memes because they make you laugh.

Your perspective is that all these words are meant to offend, but in reality they are hardly ever used to actually try to belittle someone. Listen falco, it's ok man. I don't hate you for having autism, and I don't treat you differently. I personally only judge people by how they act. I wont take autism as an excuse to act like a dick or go around and fuck people over, but I do understand that it can be hard to live with autism.

Stay cool my acoustic child.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  8. dude85632

dude85632 VIP

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Chastity4lyfe

Chastity4lyfe *Eye roll* VIP Silver

That still doesn't make it okay to just say or call people just because it's the norm.

On the internet, people are assholes, absolutely. We can't always avoid this stuff, and we have to develop some sort of thick skin. But half decent people won't go there, because you know what? It's not okay, and it IS bullying despite whatever you've convinced yourselves of. You have a member of this community right now telling you straight up that he doesn't like it and wishes people would stop, and all of you are saying "get the fuck over it kid". Like really? It doesn't matter if the word is just being used lightly and isn't meant to offend, it DOES offend someone and that's on you as the person saying it not the person interpreting it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. StrayHunter

StrayHunter Emerald

my cousin is autistic and he does pretty funny shit lol

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

end thread

• Agree x 10
    • Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Dumb x 1
  12. WhyFi

WhyFi VIP

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. royboooooy

royboooooy It'll always snow on Mount Fuji. VIP

My bro is autistic and I can sort of relate to what you are saying because he goes through the same experience. He's learned to cope with it by putting his frustrations onto stuff like drawing or cooking which he's really good at. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you get mad over someone calling you autistic or just being a troll, find something that you like to do! IDK if that's any help because autism is a pretty broad spectrum now, but hey it's all I got (y)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gonco

Gonco white knight VIP

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. StrayHunter

StrayHunter Emerald

since this thread looks like a good meme-ground for some drama, i decided to write some stuff down here just for the laughs of it.

first of all, victim shouldn't have had the inbred retard genes PLUS the fetal alcohol syndrome. aktion T4 all the way.
    also, you can't stop people from talking shit. get over it.
    people call me retarded, but i don't take it seriously. because i know that im retarded it's just a meme.

• Dumb Dumb x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. john redcorn

john redcorn strangers like me VIP Emerald

"People are people so why should it be
    You and I should get along so awfully"

we all come from different backgrounds and different walks of lives. whether it be my ass working at a boy scout camp 12 hours a day every summer or a child in a third world country struggling to get by, at the end of the day we share this planet and it's resources. Try to have a little respect for the planet and it's inhabitants, and try not to judge a book by its cover.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. royboooooy

royboooooy It'll always snow on Mount Fuji. VIP

Is that some depeche mode? Nice

18. StrayHunter

StrayHunter Emerald

Would you buy a book if it said "Mein Kampf" on the cover but the interior was actually "a very hungry catterpillar"?
    Yeah.

19. ThatAintFalco

ThatAintFalco You should’ve followed the damn train CJ VIP

While people may not take offense to little phrases and sayings that have anything to do with autism in them, other people do take offense to that however. We've all gotta treat each other as equal human beings. Sure I may lash out and all that but I tend to control myself at the end and believe me, I HAVE dealt with assholes and dbags before in my life everywhere, including irl and online. But usually the people that say mean stuff like that are also the immature ones in the bunch.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  20. JackThePumpkin

JackThePumpkin VIP Bronze

Hook me up

That's a good book

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1