Stop allowing AFK Scripts

Discussion in 'Rules and Protocol' started by Juice Juice™, Jan 26, 2018.

?

Should we allow AFK Scripts?

1. Yes, People should be allowed to delay rounds without consequence, whenever they feel like

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. No

27 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. No, but those punishments are to much as well

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  1. Siddo

Siddo Banned VIP Bronze

They aren't going to care or probably even notice unless their ban is long?... Why would they be given a lengthy ban for just being AFK and circumventing our current auto spectator? For delaying statistically every 4th round the few times one of the players who do this is online and not playing?

If anything, the rule should encompass treating them as AFK and thus being able to kill them in overtime.
    Or upgrade the system for AFK detection to counter the auto-movers, as Xpro said.
    Lengthy bans for occasional delaying seems over the top.
    For now, just rely on staff to handle the few people who do this when it happens. Heck, you have me on steam, if ever someone ends up delaying by doing this, hit me up and unless I'm otherwise occupied I'll hop on and handle it.

Honestly, so few people do this and the actual impact on rounds is limited. I can't see the need to introduce a new, harsh protocol for it.

TL;DR: The approach you're suggesting is a bad idea, in my opinion.

2. Toest

Toest "I am the bus" ~ Falcor, all the time VIP

if using any scirpts was hacking, @Xproplayer would have been banned when he was 12.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Juice Juice™

Juice Juice™ VIP Emerald Bronze

But you aren't always available, this is still blatant delaying, even if it's infrequent, and it just makes for a bad time for everyone else when every four rounds, their game has to be disrupted because someone thought they were special.

If there is a way to identify them with auto-spectate, that's great, solves everything, but if not, staff can't always come to deal with them. It is in no-way fair to make everyone else wait on a single person.

Few people do this, but it can clear a server if it goes on long enough. It happens a minimum of once per week, if my personal experience is anything to go by. I'll repeat what was mentioned above: Meta-Gaming has harsh punishments, but I don't see that happen once a month. It's an incredibly disruptive action that benefits nobody, can be exploited by anybody, and if somebody wanted to do it maliciously, would be incredibly harmful to the servers.

If my approach is bad, then what is the alternative? This is something that only hurts the servers. Nobody but the scripter likes it or has any use for it. If someone RDM'd every 1 in 4 rounds, they would be banned in a heartbeat, and this has way more impact than any RDM.

4. Bravo

Bravo VIP

Actually there is a player who plays on EU2 who frequently unspecs himself and afks in order to delay rounds (quite literally immediately unspecing himself even when mods put him in spectate and afking the entirety of the next round, often ad infinitum); whilst he himself does not in fact use the console commands to avoid fspecing (as, at that point, it becomes intentional delaying rather than 'accidental' - something that isn't bannable per the current rules) the fact that I can think of someone who intentionally afk-delays WITHOUT scripts means it doesn't take much effort to work out that people very likely do intentionally delay via the scripts.

On average I get AFK delayed 1-2 rounds in any given hour; less in busy periods and it happens a lot less when mods are on (almost as if the people doing it do it maliciously and know that it won't work if a mod is on to fspec them...), reducing the number of intentional delayers - in this case via console commands - is a worthwhile endeavour; especially when, as forcie noted, you can simply stay afk in spectator and not screw over the other people on the server. I'm pretty sure that with a simple warning from mods the kinds of people who are using scripts to avoid the afk fspec are the ones that are going to go "This isn't worth a kick/ban over" and stop without other penalties - as it's not something you stumble across and accidentally do.

EDIT: Further - it is, technically speaking, impossible to end a round with someone using a circle running script if there is no mod on unless the time runs out; as they are not demonstrably afk shooting them is technically speaking RDM.

5. Toest

if they are afk, they arent going to go "this isnt worht a kick/ban over." Personally I have NEVER seen this happen and if there isnt a mod on then just kill them, if there is a mod on ask them to fspec them. pretty simple

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bravo

Bravo VIP

If they're genuinely afk they're not going to come back, unspec, activate the console command again and go afk once more if a moderator has warned them to stop. If they do, that's quite clearly intentionally trying to screw people over, why should they NOT get punished for it?

EDIT: And for emphasis - you cannot "just kill them", as that is RDM.

7. Toest

its only rdm if there is a staff member online :sneaky:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bravo

Bravo VIP

Unless staff come online in the map or two after - or if they're recording specifically in the intent to forum report over it...

9. Toest

so true, so very true

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  10. Juice Juice™

Juice Juice™ VIP Emerald Bronze

Can we get an official response for this?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Xproplayer

Xproplayer VIP Silver

[​IMG]
    -Opal Sunday

12. gunerz.117

gunerz.117 Spartans never die. VIP

Idk why anyone would do this when you can force yourself to spectate and you still get points... I've never seen it in the 3+ years I've been on this server so it obviously isn't an epidemic. In my opinion, you shouldn't be able to activate a script on someone else's server in general.

13. Xproplayer

Xproplayer VIP Silver

No one is running scripts on the client or server.