Steam Overlay Lag

Discussion in 'Bug Report' started by ThatAintSanta, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So whenever I’m in a game, and I click shift and tab which opens up the overlay, it delays for like a second before actually opening up. This really sucks because it can be frustrating to keep track of messages that u may have gotten and I’ve looked everywhere online for the solution but I got nothing. I was wondering if you guys can help?

• Dumb Dumb x 2
  2. .shirt

.shirt VIP+

It happens to me alot i think it might have to do with the quality of the computer you have though.

3. It happens a lot too tho it just goes away and then comes back again at some point. I’ve tried restarting my computer and steam, and even reinstalled it but it still has that delay. And the quality of my computer is pretty good.

4. Silent Rebel

Silent Rebel Lead Shitposter VIP

try running the game in windowed fullscreen if possible

5. NoBellsJustJingle

NoBellsJustJingle Hai :) VIP Silver

I had this issue in the past, and I forgot how I resolved it.. Sorry, friend

6. Fluffy Kawaii Christmas Shiori❣️

Fluffy Kawaii Christmas Shiori❣️ I make good choices VIP Silver

How do you run something windowed and fullscreen at the same time?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Turquoise

Turquoise Princess of Vanilla VIP

-windowed -noborder

Right click Garry's Mod and click properties, then go to Set Launch Options

8. Fluffy Kawaii Christmas Shiori❣️

Fluffy Kawaii Christmas Shiori❣️ I make good choices VIP Silver

But that's windowed. and not fullscreen. It's either or

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Turquoise

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. I don’t really think putting the game in windowed won’t fix anything.

11. Panda With a Gun

Panda With a Gun CHINA NUMBA ONE Mod VIP Emerald

Can’t say it doesn’t work until you try

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. .shirt

.shirt VIP+

Using it windowed I think takes less power but what do I know.

13. Turquoise

I mean, you'll be able to send and receive messages during long loads/loading times if you do so and just alt-tab in and out of Garry's Mod. Not to mention you won't need to shift + tab and give you a darkened view while trying to message someone. Whatever floats your boat

14. Yea but I feel that just alt tabbing our just to message someone takes just as enough time as you would to shift+tab with a laggy overlay when in a game. Cuz usually I just reinstall gmod when this happens or just restart my laptop and it works but this time it won’t. I appreciate the support tho guys.

15. Silent Rebel

Silent Rebel Lead Shitposter VIP

Windowed full screen is like pseudo-full screen. It's technically windowed, but it's stretched (not reallly stretched) to look full screen. Usually it's more compatible and runs smoother, at least for older games. It helps with loading and tabbing out, might make loading the overlay less laggy (maybe?). In my experience, running this option on my games makes them more compatible with recording software and things like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. It finally stopped having that delay every time I shift and tab to open it. Cheers! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  17. Christmas

Christmas Custom Title Admin VIP Bronze

Incase anyone else is getting this issue, one thing that I found to help would be to go into your Steam Settings > Web Browser and Delete Cache and Cookies...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. .shirt

.shirt VIP+

Dude what?

19. Dude all because I rated your props thread dumb? It doesn't mean that I'm not polite its just my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ┃Fox

┃Fox Active Member

I fully agree with you.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.