Dev [Software] Hotkey to record demo w/date and time.

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Zikeji, May 19, 2015.

1. Zikeji

Zikeji Repoleved VIP Emerald

If you're vigilante like me and you like recording demos of your session, you'll probably know your gmod folder has a bunch of randomly named files. This has annoyed me to no end, I like using the date and time but having to remember and type it out is a pain, and easy to forget.

So I've created a solution, this software will allow you to set a hotkey so that when you press it, it'll type "record STTT_date&time" to your console.

For example:
    Code:
    record STTT_2015-20-05_02-19-15AM
    I've attached a ZIP file with the full source and the application itself, the full source is for if you want to build it yourself in case you think I'm spreading a virus xD.

Just run the file, set your HotKey (it defaults to NumPad 0), and minimize it. It'll minimize to the notification panel and not your taskbar so you don't have an annoying window up. Now, while in game you can open the console and press whatever your hotkey is to start recording with a filename that make sense!

It'll look like this:
    [​IMG]

UPDATES:

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Mr. Disco

Mr. Disco Jeff Lynne is a musical genius. VIP

Jesus this needs an IGN review. Thanks a lot, @Zikeji I was always too lazy to put the time on.

EDIT... Yeah... it can also be used as a spam bot. I just now noticed because when you press the hotkey while having chat open it will put the output in.

3. Zikeji

I can't really change that last part, I could make it so you toggle whether it automatically presses enter or not (so in the console you press whichever key you set, then press enter vs it doing it for you). I can detect whether or not you're in gmod, so it doesn't work on other applications (like accidentally pressing it in the shoutbox) but I can't go into gmod and see if it's actually in the console.

Also, it overrides whichever key you set. So if you set the delete key you wouldn't be able to use it for a bind or anything. I can disable this, but then the effect of that key would stay in place (if you set NUMPAD0 as your key, it could paste the chat and then the 0).

4. Mr. Disco

Oh I know you can't fix the spam bot thing. We have mods anyway, they can take care of it. Nice work.. Simple program, although very useful.

5. Zikeji

Yeah, I was looking into it a while back to see if I could get gmod to output the date into the demo but had no luck, so this was my next best solution. Now @Highwon could make a ulx record command of some sort that sends the record [datetime] command to the console, as Lua allows you to send command to the client's command line.

6. Zikeji

It's because I haven't signed the software with a certificate from a trusted certificate authority. These certificates are commonly used to prove identity, to verify who made the software. These certificates cost $200 minimum, if not more. Really not something I'm going to invest in for free software.

This thread has a little more information: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...een-on-win8-when-install-a-signed-application

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Mr. Disco

Bump.

For any vigilantes out there. :) Or mods who like to keep evidence.

(and also because I literally wanted this and it was somewhat buried)

For windows 10 you need to press "more info" and click run anyway.

There's no virus planted on the software. I've used this many times. And Zikeji used to be a developer here at SGM. He was one of the first I believe.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Elvis

Elvis TheRockStars VIP Silver

Bump for those who need it. Please no warn this is good stuff right here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1