Situation with the servers

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Highwon, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Highwon

Highwon Owner VIP Silver

As you all know, all our servers have been down since early morning on Sunday 04/27 and I am very sorry for the inconvenience. This is due to a certain player who couldn't play by the rules and ended up getting banned. In his inability to deal with a ban, he decided to ruin the fun for other players by attacking the servers with an exploit that takes advantage of a weakness of the source engine that has existed for many many years.

I have spent the past couple of days working on a fix with some success. However there are no promises of when that fix will be finished. This person will not get their way and will not be unbanned just because they feel like they didn't deserve a ban. Break the rules and you will be punished, end of story.

I am also considering other options, such as moving all West Coast servers to a single machine in Los Angeles that is much more powerful (and more expensive) which can handle the abuse much better. East Coast servers would also move to a single location, somewhere on the East Coast. But these are just options that are being considered and nothing is set in stone. I am going to try to keep the IP Addresses the same but there is a chance they might change as I might switch providers completely.

I just wanted to keep you all updated on what is going on. Don't worry about our future since I won't give up that easily. This has been a stressful couple of days but I am blessed to have great people in my life who have kept me in high spirits and thanks to all the support I have been receiving from the community.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 34
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Meta4

Meta4 VIP

Thanks for the update man. I'd be willing to help in whatever way I can.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. These new machines, how much will it cost? I would like to help out by donating abit more when i save up enough.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. Red

Red Harbinger of Arceus VIP

Can we do something about the attacker? I mean, a direct approach. Getting a fix will work, but it's just a matter of time before someone finds another exploit to bypass the fix. After all, DDoSing is illegal right? Can we report him or do we need more information and etc etc?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. so....will West 1 still be in its original location? its the motherland!

6. Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks Active Member

We're with you Highwon, best of luck!

7. Highwon

Highwon Owner VIP Silver

Sitting here with my buddy running some profiling on the source engine while it's getting hit by the exploit. Should have enough info soon to send to Valve soon. And then we'll go from there.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 4
  8. Snak

Snak Banned

So it was a single indivudal that took down the servers? This person must have some power to beable to target those many servers. I feel sorry for you and the damage this person is causing, and is going to cause for you.

9. Change

Change VIP Bronze

I hope sincerely you tract this guy down, and he well get banned from steam itself.
    And that you don't need to waste a ton of money just cuse of one person.

Keep up the good work. :)

10. megaboy

megaboy I got this game for Fathers day VIP

This is exactly what makes you a great Owner, Highwon. You never just throw the towel in when in doubt. Can't wait to Administrate again!

11. CDriscoll

CDriscoll Lemme advise you VIP Bronze

This is true. I have never seen an owner quite like you. Thank you for everything. <3

12. Red

Red Harbinger of Arceus VIP

You mean... Administrait? HEUHEUHEUE

13. ZeRo

ZeRo :sneaky: Banned VIP Silver

Thank you for your dedication. Some owners never go this far, but you're one of the few who do. :D

14. Dexter

Dexter SGM's Resident Former Rage Mod VIP Emerald

Behind you all the way! :) Said attacker is going to make tons of new friends when he faces the REAL law enforcement :p

15. Can't wait to play again. I'm beginning to grow tired of Gmod, as TTT is the only gm that I play (that doesn't suck ass)

16. Kythol

Kythol ok Moderator VIP

I hope this stops soon. This is going WAY too far.

17. Zikeji

Zikeji Repoleved VIP Emerald

Highwon, why not make subdomains and point them to the IP? west.seriousttt.com, east.seriousttt.com, and so on? That way people who have bookmarked it under that domain wouldn't have to worry about a change, and on-site functions wouldn't have to be updated.

18. Who is this guy, what is his name?

19. Who is this guy, what is his name?

20. @Muffin no one will tell us Muffin, they know who it is but they aren't going to tell us incase we all go and give him shit tons of abuse.

Just be patient for now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.