SGM Round-Robin Chess Tournament!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by BlueCore, Nov 19, 2016.

1. ryan4win

ryan4win I was supposed to do great things Banned VIP+ Silver

Sign me up. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Steve Mason

Steve Mason Honesty. Banned Gold VIP

Count me in as well! We all know how good I am ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. BlueGalaxy

BlueGalaxy VIP Emerald

Sign me up brother Blue.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Togo ✿

Togo ✿ Nobody Gets it VIP Silver

im down

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Etched

Etched That One Gay Guy VIP

Im in

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. john redcorn

john redcorn strangers like me VIP Emerald

i'm more in than in

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Giraffe

Giraffe We take the small victories VIP Silver Emerald

Ayy I'm in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Azaelus

Azaelus I want to break free VIP Silver Emerald

How long did it take you to make that huge ass title

[​IMG]

9. Sage.

Sage. VIP Silver Emerald

Count me in.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. BlueCore

BlueCore Onward and Upward Banned VIP

No worries Merry! Let me know if you decide to join though later on. It's gonna be fun~

This is a concern that I have thought about for a little while. Some of us do live on opposite sides of the world (or close to) which may make it harder to work out a time if you're both busy. This is the main reason everyone is allocated five days to complete their match - as matches will be on between Monday thru Friday each week. If you cannot compete it within those days we may be able to organise a later date for you and your opponent to play. Worse case scenario, if it is simply impossible for a particular pair for an appropriate reason (large time-zone differences, exam week, etc), we may come to an agreement where that match is considered a Draw.

On another point however, just say you know you will not be free for a number of weeks for the tournament - going on holiday, Christmas keeping you busy, etc. It may be an idea to not participate in this first tournament. Hopefully though that's not the case, and if you need to postpone, draw, or forfeit just a single match do that instead!
    @Robokiller87

Wouldn't you like to know..? ;)

You joining the tournament man?

_____________________________________________________________________​

ATTENTION:

Thank you to everyone who has already signed up for the tournament! I have acknowledged each signup on here with the 'Useful' rating. If you want to participate but did not get a rating from me on your post above let me know.

Furthermore, due to the surprising popularity of this tournament there are already close to 30 players who have signed-up here or in private to myself - in just half a day! Because of the high popularity we will need to change the system to a Round Robin cross with the Swiss System. This will mean that instead of versing every player, we will instead have a dedicated number of rounds in the tournament - the number of rounds will be 10. This means that you will only compete against ten different players - one player for each round. Player selections will be chosen at random when numbers have been finalised.

Fantastic work signing up everyone! I am in awe!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Togo ✿

Togo ✿ Nobody Gets it VIP Silver

thanks for setting all of this up @BlueCore

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. videomaniac12

videomaniac12 Supporter

Sounds like fun, count me in!

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Azaelus

Azaelus I want to break free VIP Silver Emerald

No time. Exams that week and the week after. Plus I'm not a competitive chess player. If this was Hearthstone, it would be a different story ;)

14. tz-

tz- feelin it VIP Emerald

Why not a traditional bracket system with a winners/losers side?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Silent Rebel

Silent Rebel Lead Shitposter VIP

Sign me up​

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Silent Rebel

Silent Rebel Lead Shitposter VIP

I think the chosen option allows everyone to play everyone else so your skills can be compared to the masses, instead of getting eliminated in your first round because you got paired with a chess master.

17. BlueCore

BlueCore Onward and Upward Banned VIP

I did strongly consider this at the time of choosing a format; however I think the thing that pushed me to do the current system is that I don't want after the first round or two to have a system that differentiates the players into two separate groups. I want the tournament to be consistently diverse, I want everyone to have an experience playing with others across numerous stages in skill - not labelled to a tier.

The prizes awarded to the top three placed people are less of a reward to the better players, but rather an initiative for everyone in the community to come along and give the game a try, and do something that could get them playing and talking to people that haven't really gotten the chance to before. And who knows, someone out here might not have gotten a chance to play chess before; they might end up loving the game or be a prodigy in the making! :)

• Like Like x 4
  18. Cafedemocha

Cafedemocha 2319 VIP

Yea I'll join

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Fox

Fox Banned VIP

Sign me up!

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. NinjaDragon48

NinjaDragon48 Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul VIP Emerald

Sign me, up, just let me know the times for it, i'm pretty open but I got my limits.

• Useful Useful x 1