SGM Official Discord? - A Proposal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Opalium, Sep 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yes

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Graze

Graze Zzz... VIP Silver

Would you mind detailing a little bit of why you don't support it? What didn't work out? What issues were ran into? Really we want to have your feedback so that the end product works on all ends. I'd love to see what your thought are, and this is definitely the place to explain what it is you think so we can use your feedback properly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Darth Gorgamel

Darth Gorgamel A Dark Lord of the Sith VIP Emerald

Oh meh gurd yes. I feel like having a discord for SGMOD will make it easier to stay connected with the server. With how outdated ts is, I find it difficult to stay in touch with my favorite peeps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Solar

Solar El Dorado VIP

I'm all in for the idea of Discord, but before my full support I'd like to know what OpalBot can do.

Also, I think keeping a Widget for shoutbox would be nice. The real question and problem would still be moderation (hence I wanna know what Opalbot can do). But overall I think the positives outweigh the negatives.

Also, voice quality. Thanks @Theinkern (see his post below)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Adrian Shephard

Adrian Shephard VIP Silver

Guys don't worry about discord mods we can get "AntidramaBot"

6. Theinkern

Theinkern Inkern VIP Bronze

he promoted me so probably is saying the same exact thing im going to say..

Yes from me, after reading the post I see more positives than negatives. Especially since teamspeak is like (STAFF ONLY) it feels like. Discord is much more open with text channels and voice channels where everyones voice is heard and seen and it creates a better bonding experience as a community and only ties us closer. The huge disadvantage I have with discord is voice quality is shit compared to teampseak. A lot of the time u can hear squeaks beeps and derps when people talk and at the end of a sentence. Now you may say oh inkern just increase the bit rate, but that comes at a cost of the users connecting from outside of us. Idk. it could be good, but honestly the quality of voice is a huge concern in my opinion.

Before being implemented I recommend doing a massive test with a bunch of staff and users to really push discord server and see if quality is being affected and if any users from distant locations are having issues, last thing we want to do is screw over someone who lives in Philippines *cough* solar *cough* abby *cough* or anyone over a long distance because discord hasn't really figured out how to have great quality in sound. I have been in multiple discords and that is one issue I see consistently is the connection rate between all users is just jacked up some times and voice quality goes and people will sound like robots at times.

This is my experience and just what I have notice. I am still +1 for entire idea, its just I want this issue to be stomped out before its fully released @Opalium .

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

I believe the user interface for discord is not user friendly in that it makes everything just too stupid or impossible to set up. The chatting is nice the emotes are kewl and the channels are some sweet sheet but anything outside of chatting is not user friendly to me.

If you want specifics about the unfriendly user environment, im serious when i mean literally everything outside of the chat options.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Agent A

Agent A Veni, vidi, vici VIP Silver Emerald

While we can not go in specifics, Opalbot is there to help us staff with properly staffing the discord along with whatever features Opalium has in his mind. I assure you that the potential staffing issues have been looked into. If worse comes to worse, and we face unexpected obstacles, we'll learn to adapt to new situations.

Now, why do I support discord? I feel like teamspeak has become obsolete in its aspect of creating a place where people can come and go and have fun. It's just mostly staff members hanging around. Heck. I just afk in ts3 so my channel doesn't die. Few people that aren't staff are using ts3 as a platform to talk with people. Thus, I believe discord can replace ts3 as a new medium for people to talk to other people. Discord can be entered via website or via its app so you don't have to entirely download discord.

TS3 has served its purpose, and I believe discord can bring more to the table than ts3 currently brings.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. AnarkisT

AnarkisT ★ No Gods, No Masters. ★ VIP Silver Emerald

Please don't take teamspeak away.

I honestly hate discord.

Thats just me though.

Please. Don't. Do. It.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. john redcorn

john redcorn strangers like me VIP Emerald

discord killed the teamspeak star

I'm honestly neutral all things considered. I love we are expanding in this direction and giving new things a shot, just sad to think that teamspeaks death might be imminent depending on it's success.

11. Acnologia

Acnologia modern desperado VIP Silver

I personally only stayed in SGM for the Shoutbox for a few months. It's been such an important part of my time here and it's sad to know that it may be taken away. Although if we do migrate over to Discord, that means Teamspeak won't have to be open along with Discord, Chrome and Garry's Mod at one time, leading to less computer resources used. Probably a good thing. But Teamspeak and Shoutbox hold a place for many old members here.
    But that's just my sappy side go ahead (y)

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Skyrossm

Skyrossm Ideal Female Moderator? VIP Emerald Bronze

Teamspeak and Discord have the same bitrate, and the same codec. If the server location is in a central spot (most likely central US) then there should be no connection differences compared to TS. As for the long distance users, they're already being cucked because the TS server is in the US, moving to discord might actually improve it since the server location can be changed to West Coast/SEA/Europe during night hours and back again during the day (Discord supports changing mid-voice call, with very little delay).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Tybe

Tybe VIP

I'm quite the opposite of the 2001 club, as in I use discord way too much and barely know anything about teamspeak, so here's my +1

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. (ØČĐ)™ Atlas ︻デ═一

(ØČĐ)™ Atlas ︻デ═一 Always Gray ︻デ═一 VIP

While the idea of Discord looks wonderful to replace Shoutbox from a staff perspective it would still need to be monitored by the staff because as cool as opalbot sounds I doubt it will catch things like harassment casses. I have never been a big fan of discord since i was introduced to it a year ago, I only have it for my position as a mod tbh and to communicate with the staff team better.

A single question i have is in the Official discord will Admins have their team channels like they do on the Teamspeak or will they have to make their own channels for their team like some have been doing?

15. 100% would love this
    I personally myself would use discord over TeamSpeak

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Juissi :D

Juissi :D Epic VIP

We need this yeah

17. n0blerone

n0blerone VIP

Dont add weeb emojis

(y)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. ayygurl_

ayygurl_ VIP

+1

19. Timo654

Timo654 EU BEST VIP Silver

but you still need to monitor harassment cases in shoutbox too?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Opalium

Opalium Stay Awesome Banned VIP Silver

Just to clear out some things:
    • OpalBot is not a replacement to our staffing, but an addition. We will still have human moderation - our admins and mods (which thanks to Discord's flexibility can also help in moderating now, instead of just the admins). OpalBot will monitor and moderate for things like spam, illegal content and other issues like these, but it is not meant to come in place of the usual moderation. It's mainly there to both reduce the load from the staff and allow them to focus on the actual moderation, and to protect the server from trouble makers when staff are not immediately available (late night or mornings, for instance).
    • Voice quality mostly depends on your distance from the server. Currently the base location will be US Central, as the largest portion of our players can benefit from this.
      Discord allows instant location changing, so one idea I had in mind is to automatically rotate the server location between US Central and Europe when its peak hours for those regions. In other words: during the US daytime it will operate at US Central, and during EU peak day hours it will switch to Central Europe. Then it'll just cycle through those. That's just an idea though, and I don't know how well it will work. What do you think?
    • I'm still checking our options for SB. It seems the second option I suggested is more wanted, and I will be researching in this direction, but I cannot guarantee what the final outcome will be. There's still a lot of work ahead so it'll take some time, but once I have more to tell I will.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.