Answered Server advertising

Discussion in 'Questions & Answers' started by Indy226, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Indy226

Indy226 Banned VIP Silver

Hello y'all.

So i know advertising for other ttt servers is against the rules but what about non sgm gamemode servers (ex sandbox, murder)

NOTE : several mods have given me different answers so i want to know the official rule

2. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

There are no rules about advertising on the servers. We would likely handle it on a case by case basis (obviously if you are trying to get players to stop playing on our servers and go somewhere else, we would likely come down on that). However, the forum rules make it clear that you cannot advertise other communities.

3. UncleBee

UncleBee VIP

can we talk about other communities?

4. Pacifist

I would not recommend it.

5. UncleBee

UncleBee VIP

u gotta be more specific, what a vague response

6. Pacifist

Whether or not something is or isn't advertising can, and is, judged on a case by case basis. Talking about other communities could land you in hot water, but then again it might not. Bottom line, if you are asked to stop, just stop.

7. Indy226

?? Every mod ive asked has said that advertising for other servers is a bannable offense

8. Pacifist

You would have to be more specific as to which moderators told you this. No specific protocol exists for advertising, but it may be a bannable offense given the circumstances.

9. Noccam :^)

Noccam :^) Regular Member

Wait, why is just talking about another community potentially punishment-worthy? That seems like an extreme reaction to just talking about other communities.

10. Indy226

From back in the day
    LordyHGM when he was a mod
    Espurr when he was a mod
    11Cent

Recently
    Humancowcakes
    Mini
    Savannah

and wink
    THE ADMIN

11. Pacifist

It depends on the context. Generally? We will likely just tell you to change the subject. We aren't interested in banning people simply because they named another community.

Interesting. I guess i'll look into it. What I guess i'm trying to tell you is that it IS a bannable offense, just that we normally handle it on a case by case basis.

12. Indy226

So talking about other servers is bannable or advertising is?

13. UncleBee

UncleBee VIP

ok so from what i understood, you can talk about another community, but you'll end up banned, eventhough there are no rules stating you cant talk about other communities

so instead of us asking if it is bannable or not we should ask @Pacifist the following question:

define advertising, with at least 3 examples!

14. dazza

dazza Banned VIP Bronze

both can be, given certain criteria are met but it would be handled by an admin +

example:
    Talking about another community that puts them in a bad light or constantly flaming another community can eventually lead to a discretionary ban although before a ban is handed out you will get a fair warning to stop, this is something a moderator can warn for.

Simply talking about another community itself isnt usually frowned upon, its the internet it happens , however if the way you talk about the other community is in a way that sparks interest for our players to go check it out (for example "hey omg guys have you seen the new update over at [redacted] gaming? its so cool!") then you will most likely, again, get told to move on from the topic at which point an admin+ will step in if you continue.

Advertising another community in such a way that the intention is to drive people away from this one will also lead to a discretionary ban and again you probably wont get a straight up ban , but it depends on severity and how malicious your intentions are.

Since they would both be discretionary bans handed out by an admin or above , ban lengths may vary.

15. Pacifist

You can be banned, doesn't mean you will be. Again, we aren't going to just instantly ban you if you bring up another community. We would likely just warn you to change the subject. Advertising is exactly what you think it is: promoting other communities or servers. Promotion can be done in more ways then just "hey guys go check out this awesome server I just found!" and can actually be done more effectively through casual conversation about the server. If we suspect you are just talking about another community to advertise it, we may step in and tell you to cut it out. Again though, we really aren't interested in policing this so extremely. I don't care if you talk about other communities in game or on the forums, so long as you aren't promoting them. Also no, i'm not going to give you three examples.

dazza answered your question perfectly.

16. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

Basically it's all based on intent. Do you have mal-intent, good intent, or neutral intent? Are you advertising? Just talking about it? It varies from case to case.

There doesn't need to be a rule for literally everything. "Bottom line, if you are asked to stop, just stop."

17. DocFox

DocFox The Best Is Yet To Come VIP Silver Emerald

18. Indy226

This still didn't really answer my other question. So if SGM is a predominantly a TTT/deathrun community how does it work with sandbox or murder? Basically

Is talking/advertising non SGM gamemode servers against the rules?

19. Pacifist

We just don't want players to leave our servers to play on another. That's really the long and short of it.

20. Indy226

Ok then