Serious Roleplay Server?

Discussion in 'TTT Suggestions' started by Original, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Original

Original VIP

The title basically says everything, I can imagine Serious GMOD having one it would be fun.

• Dumb Dumb x 2
  2. DocFox

DocFox The Best Is Yet To Come VIP Silver Emerald

No.

• Dumb Dumb x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. Noctorious

Noctorious Your Best Nightmare VIP Emerald

Pretty sure dark rp was suggested as a server a lot back when deathrun was added. Still has my +1 but I think that currently those in charge have their hands busy with making new content for deathrun currently

4. Mason

Mason Banned VIP Silver

-1 for a serious roleplaying server, +1 for a DarkRP server as it's really unclear which one you intend this post to be suggesting.

5. Wex

Wex The enemy of art is the absence of limitations VIP Bronze

If a roleplay server or any server where regular users have the ability to spawn props and build were to be considered, it should be whitelisted. It's one of those servers where if no staff are present, a troll could easily crash the server or prop block spawn. Even with restrictions to tools guns and props spawning it can still be crashed.

The whitelisting shouldn't be strict though, just anyone who doesn't have a history of trolling or something. People who come in and troll could just be removed from the whitelist with little to no chance of coming back.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Sinz

Sinz crumble VIP Silver

"yadda, yadda, sometime in the near future."

• Like x 4
    • Winner x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  7. Chastity4lyfe

Chastity4lyfe *Eye roll* VIP Silver

I love RP alot, and to imagine having one with our community, would be so fun. Always thought that, we definitely have a big enough community. I just know the set up and creating of RP servers are really extensive so it'd take time, so maybe in a few years xD

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Batman47

Batman47 Member

I just came from seriousRP... It honestly is dying. My friends server went into the hole and kept digging because the player base is dying.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

That's because it wasn't part of our server group.

Regardless, we don't give our current servers enough love yet to justify anything else.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Graze

Graze Zzz... VIP Silver

I'd be interested, but I'd rather see Deathrun expand and evolve into something akin to what we have in terms of TTT first, and then think about including a new game mode to the group. One at a time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Lone Wanderer

Lone Wanderer The One and Only VIP

I've found that communities that have serious roleplay gamemodes, and gamemodes that are more fun/game like (such as TTT, Deathrun, Zombie Survival, etc.), don't really mix well together, unfortunately. I could talk about this for hours and hours, but I'll shorten up my thoughts regarding serious roleplay as a gamemode.

Serious RP, if you're really wanting to do true serious roleplay, is a very intensive thing. It really can't be a side project for a community due to the support and involvement that it takes, both from a resource standpoint, as well as from an emotional standpoint. Resource wise, you have to consider that a unique serious roleplay server would need a fair amount of dedicated staff. Having been involved in two large serious RP communities, I can say that the makeup of that staff group is not uniform either: there's a lot of different traits you have to bring to a team, and it can take a long while to build up a good staff team that really covers all the administrative aspects of a roleplaying server.

Now, the emotional concerns regarding a serious roleplay server is the major problem that I see with this. A lot of serious roleplay servers have a lot of drama surrounding both what occurs in the actual roleplay itself, as well as towards the administration and the direction that the server is going in. Things change a lot, and it really is an intense roller coaster when it comes to the emotional level of those involved in a serious RP server. It's a very different kind of drama/emotions that you would find in a community that's centered around gamemodes like TTT, Deathrun, DarkRP, etc. It's pretty tough to explain it: I could probably give it a try if I wanted to have paragraphs upon paragraphs. But suffice to say, it's deeper kind of emotional stress than I think you'd find at most other GMOD communities. It tends to build up slowly overtime, then blowing up in spikes in some really painful/ugly situations.

Again, there really is a lot more to this than what I'm posting here. But SGM isn't the kind of community that could support a serious roleplaying server, in my personal opinion. The system needed to run that kind of server just isn't here, and it really is a different emotional level when you look at serious roleplay servers. Not saying that SGM isn't up to the challenge or anything, but merely that SGM isn't compatible with SeriousRP based on my experiences with it.

EDIT:

I would like to add that I'm talking about actual Serious RP, not a 'Serious' DarkRP server. Those have a much, much different makeup and carry a different sort of emotional baggage. I think that kind of gamemode could potentially work here, if that's something Highwon is considering to expand with once Deathrun is firmly settled in.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Zypther

Zypther #SuitUp VIP Bronze Iron

Ok I really want a darkRP server but looking at what we are, we are a round based server. Not a longtime game. Truly I believe that we would play it for a little get tired of it and quit on it.

13. Wex

Wex The enemy of art is the absence of limitations VIP Bronze

There are members of this community that exclusively play Deathrun. If we had a DarkRP server it would bring members into the community that are exclusively DarkRP.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Zypther

I guess but if we have it whitelisted there isn't going to be a personal player base for it.

15. Lone Wanderer

Lone Wanderer The One and Only VIP

I think he means whitelist for props. Only people that are trusted, have a certain rank, played for a certain amount of time, etc., should be able to spawn props and such. That way, it'd help get around some of the trolls/propspammers that DarkRP is infamous for. And if that is the case, I think that it wouldn't necessarily deter people from finding a home on a potential DarkRP server that we'd open. If they like the community/server and want to play there genuinely, they probably won't have too much of a problem doing whatever it takes to be able to be whitelisted. And if they are going to make a huge stink about it and overlook the reasons why something like that is in place, chances are they probably aren't a good fit for our community anyways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Zypther

Ohhhhh ok +1 for that :)

17. Bluesky4life

Bluesky4life Regular Member

Honelty I love the Shit out of this community and I love the Shit out of DarkRP
    Lets put them both together and make it happen Defenitly a +1 from me :D

18. Ninja300

Ninja300 Member

I would play on it all the time like omg! plus if they need mods I have folders on folders of weapon and add ons to give the owners and maybe if there any tech shabby people we can get together and make a map for the community +1

19. Kawaii

Kawaii Paper Towns

You'll probably NEVER see me on it since playing "Life" is tiring enough. But it might be fun.
    Also i dont roleplay.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. TheCoCoFTW

TheCoCoFTW Veteran Member

Yeah I'd like to not be CoCo for a change. +1

Vote for me to become mayor pls

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1