[Rule Suggestion] Mass RDM

Discussion in 'Rules and Protocol' started by Python~, Aug 29, 2019.

?

Yes?

1. Yes.

2. No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

Proposing a slight change to the Mass RDM banning process.

The amount of people you RDM determines how many days you are banned for.
    Since Mass RDM bans begin at 3 (which would remain at 1 day), 4 should be 4 days, 5 should be 5 days, and so on and so forth.

This would even work with @Pacifist's modified version.

It's dumb that if you RDM 4 people it's 5 days but if you RDM 10 people it's still 5 days.

• Dislike x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Confusing x 2
    • Dumb x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. Jabba the Slut

Jabba the Slut That's Kinky! Lead Admin VIP Silver

If someone manages to RDM 10 people without being karma banned or banned by online staff first, we can also give them an extended punishment due to the severity of the offense. No need to "fix" something that ain't broke.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Python~

You wouldnt have to ask permission to extend bans if 10 rdms = 10 days ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. Cash

Cash I staff the proper way Banned VIP

extensions typically end in more than 10 days if an extension is granted

5. Python~

Well you wouldn't - normally - get an extension for 7 rdms, which is still the same punishment as 4 rdms

6. Credence

Credence Demon Lord VIP

Why would we change this when the rule change Pacifist is suggesting is better? They'll get to be ahead of their ban day to kill ratio at first, then it picks up to globalized months of being banned. When are people honestly going to be able to get away with killing 10+ people in one round before being either slain mid round or killed by another player?

7. Python~

You have to factor in killing Ts doesnt affect karma. You can RDM as many Ts as you want as an Inno without your karma taking a hit. Even if you kill 3 Ts and 2 Innos every round, you wont get banned until the end of the 3rd round, in which case you just RDMed 15 people. This is an extreme case obviously, but you get the point.

Not to mention map changes which reset your karma

8. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

Yeah, I am not in favor of this. My suggestion was to streamline RDM and make it stack, this kind of just goes the complete opposite direction. I just think that the equivalencies here are just not very well thought out. For instance:

1st time mass rdm, killed 5 people: 5 day ban
    2nd time mass rdm, killed 3 people: 3 day ban
    3rd time mass rdm, killed 10 people: 10 day ban

where my system would actually ban them for a lot longer and be more streamlined. For instance:

1st time mass rdm, killed 5 people: 5 day ban
    2nd time mass rdm, killed 3 people: 2 week ban
    3rd time mass rdm, killed 10 people: 4 week ban

You see what I am getting at? Your system bans for longer in the short term, but doesn't compound well on itself. There is nothing to discourage a user from continuing to mass rdm, as their punishments would be very minimal. Most players can only RDM a few people before they either get killed (because rdmers are usually shit at the game anyways) or the round ends, so at most you are dealing with 10ish kills. 10 day bans are pretty extreme on the first offense, but they become less and less so after the 2nd and 3rd. There is nothing to this punishment that would discourage rdmers, or at the very least, keep them off our servers for a long period of time.

Another issue you didn't factor in is the idea of stacking. How can we stack a punishment when every punishment is a different amount? We would have to overly complicate things to make it work. For instance:

1st time mass rdm, killed 10 people: 5 day ban
    2nd time mass rdm, killed 4 people: how do we stack this ban? They aren't the same offense, and they don't carry the same gravity. One is for 10 kills the other is only for 4. Do we just double the second offense? That wouldn't work because we would be 2 days shorter than the 1st ban. We could always add 10 + 4 and then multiply that by 2, but then we get to a 28 day ban, which would be pretty crazy under your system because you rdmed 14 people but got double the ban time.

I just don't like this idea. It grants unnecessary leniency and doesn't fix the problem of mass rdms not being stackable. -1

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Python~

This suggestion would only apply to the first case of Mass RDM

• Confusing Confusing x 1
  10. Pokeben10

Pokeben10 tell me pretty lies Moderator VIP Silver

I voted yes but I retract my vote and am giving my spiritual "no" instead. I could explain, but Paci did a pretty good job at it.

11. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

12. Dani

Dani Impersonating Staff Banned VIP

Huh? This is not at all what he meant. He's just talking about what would happen at the first offense, so why are you creating some strawman about what he said about 2nd and 3rd offenses when he never even talked about them?

Wait, so at this point in your post you even say yourself that he didn't even talk about stacking, so what the hell was the first half of your post even about?

You could actually argue, in a weird way, that a 10x RDM (within one round) is a lesser offense than a 4x RDM, because the people who die don't have to wait for very long until they're able to play again.

• Confusing Confusing x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  13. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

If you read his original post he never actually said this was only for the first offense. It wasn't until after my post that he mentioned that. I was talking about stacking because he mentioned my modified post. The first part of my post was comparing the punishment times for his system and mine. The second part deals with how his punishments specifically would stack.

:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Santa Claus

Santa Claus Best Member VIP Bronze

WELL IF UCKING DISAGREE ONLY BECAUSE PYTHON MENTIONED THIS SUGGESTION.

ALTHOUGH ITS A GREAT IDEA AND IT MAKES TOTAL FUCKING SENSE, FUCK YOU PYTHON -1

/s +1

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1