Rule Reworking ASAP

Discussion in 'Rules and Protocol' started by gamrpown, Nov 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. gamrpown

gamrpown Member

I have only been playing on this server for a few days now and I've run into the most absurd problems ever regarding two specific rules this server has.

-Shooting towards players (traitor baiting)
    -5 Second graze period after killing someone (a rule I've been told by admins that not actually stated in the rules in game)

Ok, first off, I get it, T Baiting is a thing, always will be, not saying that's the problem. But when all players take it out of context and use it to be able to rdm without punishment, that is when it gets my blood boiling.

Example, today, I had someone in game call a KOS on a player. I followed through with his kos and kill the player he deemed a traitor. I identified the body and found him to be a traitor. I walk back to where the person who kos is located and he attempts to kill me, I let him shoot me all the way down to 6 hp before I shot back and killed him. I then reported him and was later told my the mod on at the time that 'He was in the right. You just killed a player and they have a 5 second graze period to kill you for it'. So, what I am now being told is that this player who tried to kill me, kos'd a t, watched me kill the t WHO HE KOS'D, and tried to kill me for it as well. BUT he doesn't get punished for it WHEN IT WAS HIS OWN KOS?! How can anyone sit there and allow that to happen? I understand for an admin/mod that it is the rule, but there is no way this problem is just arising. With the amount of players and servers this organization has/hosts, you guys must have been running for a while and there is no way y'all haven't had this problem already.

That is only one example of this MAJOR issue. I feel that these rules need to be tweaked or new rules need to be implemented. If you want a suggestion on how to possibly solve this problem, I have a new rule from a previous server I was a part of that you guys can actually implement that would resolve the issue immediately.

New Rule Idea: Allow a player the opportunity to ID a body before you shoot/kill them.

This rule can allow players to actually get the opportunity to prove they are not rdming or a T. And with the word 'opportunity' it can not be abused. To grant a player the opportunity the chance to ID a body, that means they have one chance to either A- run up to the body immediately and ID it (with the exception of an incend or nade present that hinders the player from doing so) or B- run away and get shot at for not ID the body.

Also, the rule stating that 'shooting at other players (T Baiting)' needs to be explained better in the rules. Yes, I agree T Baiting is something players should be killed for. But, I don't agree on how if someone is shooting at a player who is kos'd, that player can be shot/killed for attempting to follow said KOS. That is an example on how people bend the rules and get away with RDM. Players should be held accountable for voice chat AS WELL AS TEXT CHAT, some players don't have the ability to use a mic so they are required to use text chat to say what they want. I have run into multiple occasions where I KOS'd a player in chat with a bind, even hit the bind atleast 5 times to make sure people notice it, yet I still get shot and killed for shooting at the player I kos'd. It is not the players fault who called the kos that they got rdm'd for shooting at a T. It is the person who clearly committed a rdm's fault. That player who was too ignorant to read chat should be held accountable for their rdm on a player simply trying to kill a traitor. They have the ability to read chat, if they choose not to, that's their fault and it should come with repercussions.

I feel like I have typed enough, if anything needs to be cleared up, or if you want to voice your opinion, please just comment below.

• Optimistic x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Dumb x 1
  2. nikki

nikki Dutch female gamer: cocky, rude/toxic. VIP Bronze

i think the grace period should be shortened to 3 seconds, 5 seconds is too long. and the situation you described: the player that called the KOS, might not have seen you were shooting at the guy he KOSed. if you're on a full 36 slot server with a lot of people alive, there is going to be a lot of talking and a lot of confusion. mistakes happen and they're a huge part of TTT, which is why the grace period rule exists in the first place.

players don't always have the best judgement and sometimes they shoot you (for valid reasons) without really thinking it through or because of the confusion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

If someone is abusing something to justify malicious behavior then it is loopholing, and they should be punished accordingly. Bring your suspiciouns to the mods, or even admins and they will watch out for you man.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gamrpown

gamrpown Member

I do every time, they always side with the rules, thats why it needs to be changed.

5. gamrpown

gamrpown Member

Players do not deserve this 'grace perioud' at all, this rule is something that allows people to rdm WITHOUT PUNISHMENT. There shouldn't be this rule with grace period time at all. It doesn't allow any good to come from it. If you allow the grace period but also make the 'allow players the opportunity to id a body' a rule, it would just cancle it out.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  6. Pacifist

They do side with the rules. It is there job to be objective, but have you ever said that they are loopholing and that they are abusing the grace period? That might be something you can try for the future! :D

7. gamrpown

gamrpown Member

Yes, I have, I've also had a mod (I think his name is Rhienor) tell me 'It's stupid, I know, but it's the rule and I can't do anything about it, he had the grace period time to kill you" And that was the exact incident I was explaining above in the original post. I have tried everything, Im not making this thread cluelessly man. I have tried everything. Admins stay on the side with the rule, no matter what. That is why I made this thread, the rules are clearly being abused by players so they can rdm/target players they don't like or find annoying. It needs to be fixed.

8. gamrpown

gamrpown Member

I know I am new to this server, but I am not new to gmod, I was an admin on one of the biggest gmod servers out there, GFLCLAN. I know a couple solutions that we use in those servers to help resolve these types of issues.

9. Pacifist

Moderators are not allowed to stray from their rules without an admin's consent. Rhienor probably acted to his fullest in the situation. Try bringing it to an admin perhaps? I don't have an opinion on this whole grace period thing I am just trying to help ya fam. :D

10. gamrpown

gamrpown Member

I don't think you understand that I have, like I said, I've tried everything. It even happened when the owner was playing and he told me nothing was going to happen due to the grace period. I know what I'm doping, I'm not gonna make this post when I have covered all the other possibilities first.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. GunAndBomb

GunAndBomb Explosive Banned VIP

The 5 second grace period is to account for any confusion there might be after a traitor is killed. In the scenario you described, two things could have happened. 1. The player who called the kos might have been confused 2. the player was loopholing in order to kill you. If you can prove that he was not confused about the situation, and simply wanted to kill you, then he would be banned for loopholing.

As for traitor baiting, it would be unreasonable to expect everyone to hear/read every kos that has been called during a round.

• Like Like x 1
  12. gamrpown

gamrpown Member

There should be no confusion when the person he kos'd verbally and through bind had a completely different name than me. Also, he was shooting me for a good 5-7 seconds, he just had terrible aim, so he knew what he was doing. He was obviously just targeting me like he was for countless round before and after that.

13. DocFox

DocFox The Best Is Yet To Come VIP Silver Emerald

Just to throw this out there that traitors sometimes call KOS's to get whomever they are trying to kill killed by someone, so you can't always trust a KOS. If you are shooting at someone, you are committing one of the top traitorous acts and you can be killed for it; plain and simple.

As far as the grace period goes, it seems like this player was attempting to loophole or got confused, as othersoon have stated. They have 5 seconds after the body is identified to allow for things like confusion, latency, and human reaction time.

Both of these rule are explained further in the extended rules which are linked in the MOTD.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  14. GunAndBomb

GunAndBomb Explosive Banned VIP

I would advise you to report the player here. The staff team will be able to look at the logs and determine if he was targeting you. Video evidence would be useful but it is not required.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gamrpown

gamrpown Member

I understand why the rules are there, I've said that. But I am also addressing why the are absurd and unnecessary to have.

16. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

Hello new guy, welcome to the servers. I would normally roast you, as is tradition for trying to change what is an essential part of TTT here in SGmod however I'll give you the low down.

The Low Down:

Record your gameplay. Demos are enough. They'll easily be able to determine if someone is loopholing or not. If you're unaware, demos can allow you to fly anywhere in the map and watch events occur they you didnt see yourself.

As for things pertaining to voice chat, which demos normally fail with, use Shadowplay or some type of game recording software.

• There is a 5 second grace period after killing and identifying a T where, if killed in this time, the accused player will not be punished for killing the proven player (5 seconds accounts for the confusion there might be).
    People may abuse this if they know about it, however it'll cause a toxic environment and hurt everyone's experience. It'd be stupid to abuse this. Once you've gained enough experience, you can make logical judgement calls when you come across this scenario. You'll run into the dumbass who doesnt know about this, will kill you, and then stupidity ensues and hopefully will turn into a learning experience.

You have to understand regardless of whatever reason someone is shooting someone for, under every circumstance (excluding detectives) shooting at someone is a traitorous act. You may be following a KOS, or killing someone who just killed someone, the fact of the matter is you're shooting at people you're putting yourself at risk to be killed for T-baiting.

Again: No matter the reason for your actions, shooting at people under every circumstance (excluding detectives) is a traitorous act. You're killing someone, that's something traitors do. What if a traitor were to KOS an innocent, and you a fellow traitor followed that KOS. Now imagine this rule is in play, where it is not traitorous to kill someone who was KOS'd? Then that's rather fucked isn't it?

Completely necessary to have.

• Like Like x 1
  17. gamrpown

gamrpown Member

The 'under any circumstance' rule is the worst idea of a rule I've ever experienced. It's seriously absurd. I understand y'all feel it's there to implement control, but how do you think it's fair to the person who kills a T AND GETS KILLED FOR IT. That's just insane logic.

18. gamrpown

gamrpown Member

"What if a traitor were to KOS an innocent, and you a fellow traitor followed that KOS. Now imagine this rule is in play, where it is not traitorous to kill someone who was KOS'd? Then that's rather fucked isn't it?"

That's why you kill the person who called the False Kos, it's simple

19. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

And then you can kill the person who followed the KOS :) :).

To implement that control, this needs to be done. It's SeriousTTT. Not half-assed TTT. It makes situations more easy to handle (if you know how to handle them) and makes the gameplay flow more properly and quickly.

20. DocFox

DocFox The Best Is Yet To Come VIP Silver Emerald

I once let someone ID a body. They killed me before they did because they were a traitor that just killed an innocent.

This server is a little more competitive than what you're probably used to. It's what has helped keep us alive for so long

• Agree Agree x 4