Rejected Rule Change

Discussion in 'Rules and Protocol' started by Loli-Pop, Jul 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loli-Pop

Loli-Pop Active Member

Le epic racism, dude.

2. Rozboon

Rozboon Forgive and Forget, or just forget. VIP

You don't get what people have stated several times, slurs can be very selective, I can call you a hick and you don't take any offense to it, but someone else might, should it be included in the banned slurs? What about a raghead? up here, that word is almost as bad as calling someone a nigger, it's only reason to be in existence is to make fun of, insult people who wear turbans.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Sticky Bandit

Sticky Bandit Never fall below your standard VIP Bronze

The thing you're asking for already exists. If people are SPAMMING nigger, they'll get hit with spam punishment. If people are directing slurs towards people, there's the harassment Punishments.

One more thing, too: the whole reason edgy kids say this shit is to piss people like you off. There's no reason to take a bloody word so personal when it's just being used to piss you off... They're like bullies, just ignore them and they stop caring lmao....

• Agree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Old x 1
    • Dumb x 1
  4. Nathan776

Nathan776 Administrator Administrator VIP Silver

(If your going to argue that you are going to remove Slurs in an attempt to limit censorship on the server, how is it not more redundant to create an arbitrary limit for what we can and cannot discuss on the server? Moderators have always reserved the right to ask users to change topic.
    "It wouldn’t be fair to limit certain words because they hurt your feelings regardless of the context. If you aren’t being harassed, you can easily ignore it and move on."
    Why would it be fair for me to change my conversation with a person in the server because other people feel harassed, get work up over or otherwise feel the topic is unsavory? ) - Mean't as a Joke. Haha, Funny.

I do disagree with what you have said almost completely though.

"let it be noted that the change to instantly punish those words was made by Opalium when he was given the rank of owner, and that the entire time beforehand things were perfectly fine"
    Yeah, I wasn't around before Opals time. I can't say that it wasn't perfectly fine, maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. From my perception though I saw no problem with the ruling in the first place. What big grievance in the community were you trying to solve? I'm struggling to think of a time where I've had an issue with the harassment protocol. "Hey don't use slurs" etc etc. It worked almost all the time. Continuation = Round mute/gag and then a ban. Seems like a simple system to me and anyone I dealt with seemed to understand that.

" how it used to be was that people had free reign to say all other racially or group based slurs, and any target group wouldn’t get immediate consolation of them being warned. however, if they said n***** or f*****, it would be immediately shut down"
    I'm struggling to think of an instance when this has happened to me. This can't be that wide spread and if it was that offensive, considering bringing it up in the correct area. What other slurs are you referring to? Dyke, Chink, Cracker? I'm seriously struggling to think of anymore commonly used slurs. If somebody calls me a coconut and I say I am offended, are you going to warn them?

"it would be the job of the staff team to warn and punish for all slurs, which results in funny enough, more incentive to use them because people like to push limits and break rules."
    Loli-Pop from my understanding is a Vanilla Player. The typical player on Vanilla plays for far less then that of a player on East or West. People on there have been using slurs an astonishing amount compared to normal. Why? Because It's fine to user Slurs as long as it's not targeted at someone, heck even the mod said it. Why not use slurs? Thinking that the average vanilla player keeps updated with SGM's rule changes is laughable, though you could plausibly justify the such on other servers such as East and West since the majority of player slots will be filled by regulars.

" this place would be operating like Nazi Germany punishing for each and every instance someone users a slur and bans would be handed out like cookies at a bake sale."
    You act like we were handing out bans left and right for harrassment etc. You guys made this change and now only see two options: Ban for nothing and ban for everything. The community doesn't understand your reasoning why you can't see a third option in a revert.

"or too blind to see past the stigma"
    Yes, the moderator team is blinded to look past the stigma of such a change as is a vast amount of the community because neither were consulted on such a change. When they then did complain in a 10 page thread all we managed to get was Pacifist claiming he was not apart of this but justifying the change from his own take. Why not just flat out be transparent with us to the reasoning? If were so blind to see the benefits of the change or the problem in the first place why not just simply come out and say it?

For those of you saying, oh I can use it in a sentence, I might not be meaning to offend X or Y. Moderators shouldn't be A) Robots B) Jackasses .

As for the rule itself. Frankly I don't give a shit lol. I mean I don't think there's any need to say slurs on the server but I really don't care enough. Some people will be alienated by the change and some people may join (?) and heck they have a right to feel how they want to feel about the change. In the vast majority of cases (where it actually matters) this could be beneficial. Identifying actual harassment in comparison to somebody just speaking casually. I actually agree with Roz in quite a lot of the points he's mentioned this thread.

You already know that I disagree with how the change was made, that is my biggest gripe. The Rule makes sense in some ways tbh and that's why it is so sad. If were so set on adapting the rules why not ask for some feedback on the rule and let the community and moderator team try and adapt it to better fit the communities interests? Just look at portions of this very thread for example. Clarity is key and points surrounding this ruling are not clear. It seems like its 1 step forward and 2 steps back with the way some of these things come about.

• Like Like x 6
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  5. Loli-Pop

Loli-Pop Active Member

Here's the thing.

They don't get punished. All they get is a warning. And as soon as mods come on all of a sudden they're goodie two shoes. Also do you think I try NOT to ignore these kinds of people? Of course I fucking ignore them. Except if they stopped caring and cut out then I wouldn't have made this thread.

The issue is that ignoring and reporting these people hardly does anything because they can just keep on doing it for way longer than they should be allowed. Which is not at all.

Oh but no, i'll just let people say whatever they want. It's just words right? No. Black people weren't slaves for hundreds of years so some white kid from North Dakota can scream "n*GGER!" all day. Gay people haven't been fighting for their years for nearly as long so that anyone can just call anyone a "f*ggot" just cause they dislike them. Asians didn't get their fucking heads run over just so some idiot in GMod can scream "ZIPPERHEAD" over and over.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  6. Sticky Bandit

Sticky Bandit Never fall below your standard VIP Bronze

The warning is the punishment. Should they continue, they will get banned.

Well, when mods are off, get this.... none of the rules are able to be enforced. I know, it's kinda crazy... but regardless what the rules are, NOBODY CAN ENFORCE THE RULES WHEN THE MODS AREN'T ON. So, of course they're gonna act better when they get on.... so uh, maybe fucking report them or get off your high horse.

I mean.... yeah they kinda are just words. You think that 14 year old who's mommy said "Don't say nigger at church!" are really trying to say "Gee willy those damn negros need to get back to pickin' cotton, that stupid nigger in the oval office... IT'S CALLED THE WHITE HOUSE HELLO!?" No, they're just trying to be edgy because it pisses you off.

also uh... if they should never be allowed to say it then... you better ban yourself
    that's a racial slur so check your white privilege

Listen buddy: Apparently before Opalium (like... a year ago lmao) this rule didn't even exist. There was no problems back then with this kind of shit, and the only reason there's problems right now is because people like you are making them. They are just words said by a retard online -- get over it.

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

I have no idea where everyone’s getting the idea that you weren’t punished for slurs before Opalium?

It’s been a punishable offence since 2013 for using such words. Even if they weren’t aimed at anyone and no one ever complained about it.

Yikes in this thread at some of the comparisons being made though.

• Like x 2
    • Old x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  9. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

First of all, if you were being called the N word and you took offense to it the person should have been warned. If they weren't warned and the staff member threw up some bs excuse like "that isn't harassment" report them. Keep in mind that the staff are still trying to adjust to the changes. I'll admit, more discussion and notification should have been given, but I honestly don't think that Highwon realize the level of shit this would stir.

What this rule change does, and all it really does, is make it so that we don't warn right away for the N word and the F word. We warn based on the context the word was used in. Most times it is used to harass people, and so it really doesn't change very much. The next context it is used in is to spam, which is against the rules. The last context, and the one people get so bent of out shape about, is the edgelords who say it to be edgy. These people are rather annoying, I will admit, but honestly they just make themselves look like racists. However, this racism could be seen as harassment. It all just depends on the situation.

We really don't want to be the PC police and warn people for simply saying a no no word. The people who were punished for these words never stopped, they just waited till staff left and continued. These people should be put to shame. I have no problem calling people out when they clearly are just trying to be edgy. For instance:

Did you seriously have to come into this thread and contribute nothing but that? That kind of backhand comment is what made the rule in the first place. I hope you are happy with yourself.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  10. MemeDaddy

MemeDaddy VIP

Thanks my negro :)

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Santa Claus

Santa Claus Best Member VIP Bronze

When I see you guys typing n***** instead of nigger it reminds me of the fully nude women that put stickers over their nipples

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  12. Hashira

Hashira VIP

Its so bad apaprently that other servers are making fun of is for it (or at least the ones i went in when ours was dead)

• Dumb Dumb x 3
  13. Togo ✿

Togo ✿ Nobody Gets it VIP Silver

Nobody plays gmod anymore so why is this an issue

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  14. MemeDaddy

MemeDaddy VIP

Who cares what those faggots think

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. faggits

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 4
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  16. john redcorn

john redcorn strangers like me VIP Emerald

I tried tracing the origins awhile back to when we started punishing purely for “nigger”. From what I could gather, it happened sometime before Opalium’s tenures. Seemed to be something that developed out of an administrative/lead administrative talks and trickled its way through the staff team. However, the ruling/punishments did seem to get a fair amount more of attention/limelight under Opalium’s leadership though, with myself being pretty hard on it.

It was a change that was made without much (if any) community/moderator feedback in the first place. Feedback was gathered from the administration team this time before going through the change, as they ultimately would be the ones who would be training moderators what to punish for and what not to. Unofficially, I also gathered some community feedback awhile back with moderators and shoutbox people for a good half hour.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. Santa Claus

Santa Claus Best Member VIP Bronze

I used to gag and mute every time I heard either words back in 2016-17

• Agree x 3
    • Winner x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Old x 1
    • Dumb x 1
  18. MemeDaddy

MemeDaddy VIP

Only cuz he didn’t wanna get banned off twitch duh

• Dumb Dumb x 2
  19. Dani

Dani Impersonating Staff Banned VIP

Am I missing something here? What does the rule change have to do with what people do when no mods are on? Wouldn't they still do the same thing if there was a rule against it, since there are no mods on?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Togo ✿

Togo ✿ Nobody Gets it VIP Silver

Either just ban all slurs outright or make it legal to call someone a slur, you can't try to have a middle ground or else shit like this happens.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.