Right-Click name to Spectate

Discussion in 'TTT Suggestions' started by Pokeben10, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Pokeben10

Pokeben10 tell me pretty lies Moderator VIP Silver

Can we get a feature that allows you to right click a player's name in the tab menu to spectate them? I hate having to spam click through players to find the person I want to spectate and then accidentally going past them.

edit: This thread was made before I was mod, so don't tell me I can right click to spectate, I know. This suggestion is more for non-staff.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Cash

Cash I staff the proper way Banned VIP

as spectator, psure you can press e on someone to select them just a heads up

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Nuno

Nuno Nothing is better than Tesco's own brand gin Administrator VIP Silver

Staff already have a feature like that, which acts as saying Spectate "Person" but it can be done dead or alive, so I'm not sure how easy it is to allow players to do it when they are dead Only.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. Pokeben10

I realize that, but it's pretty finicky, and you have to get close to them which is tough while they're running around...

5. Indy226

Indy226 Banned VIP Silver

Sometimes this also doesn't work

6. Nuno

It's meant to work.

Just keep trying :p

• Dislike x 4
    • Disagree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  7. Indy226

Indy226 Banned VIP Silver

I don't think breaking my e key is gonna help

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Nuno

I do :)

• Dumb Dumb x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. +200 on this. i've definitely taken years off my life span out of frustration when I click past someone and then have to cycle through all the alive players again

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Dodley27

Dodley27 Dolfin VIP Bronze

+1 I have ADHD so it's hard for me to pay attention to the name at the top without taking ages to cycle through everyone

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. capri sun

capri sun VIP

+1 The amount of times I'll be rocking to a song and zoom past a name, some pain dude

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Santa Claus

Santa Claus Best Member VIP Bronze

Yes

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. RyanHymenman

RyanHymenman Conscript the women and kids Administrator VIP Silver

Would be down for this idea if it isn’t the same command staff have, for a few reasons. Would likely be something we’d need to get custom done by a dev

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. littlememe

littlememe nothinglastsforever VIP Bronze

+1

15. Pokeben10

16. Lady Cloudia

Lady Cloudia VIP Silver

This

17. iii

iii eye-eye-eye or triple eye is fine VIP

Or if that's too much, could just change the spectating command that runs when you press e (<gamemodes/terrortown/gamemode/player.lua #Line 410 to 434>), server side, to have a higher range than 128 units (<Line 416>), either by changing the 128 to a higher value or by using <ply:GetEyeTrace()> for pretty much infinite range.

Example:

Note that this still isn't amazing, might have to spam E a bit still, maybe aim a bit in front of the player, but it's still better than having to hug the player to spectate them. Maybe there's a way to make it so that you can hold E instead of having to spam it, but this single line change was what I figured out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. Pokeben10

19. Scrungy

Scrungy VIP

20. Xproplayer

Xproplayer VIP Silver

I've looked at the code for TTT spectating in the past mad about this very issue, what I found was that you can only cycle FORWARDS in the list right click and you can only select a specific player by pressing E on them while in noclip spectator mode.

My solution to this problem was simply adding support for left click, so that if you skipped the person you wanted, you would just go back one. I believe I even directly messaged Highwon about this, but I remember the answer for SGM was "We won't do it because it modifies base TTT code" which is understandable. @My Dime Is Up @Lordyhgm is this still the policy for Base TTT code or could we edit it?

Without being able to edit the default TTT code the solution would be a bit tricky, we could look at editing the ulx spectate command to allow regular users to do it, then add a ton of validation like making sure the caller is dead, etc.