Revamping the MOTD/rules page

Discussion in 'TTT Suggestions' started by Salisian, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Salisian

Salisian An unbroken series of successful gestures VIP

This isn't a call to change the rules of sTTT, only the poster that we hang up for new people entering the server- http://www.seriousttt.com/rules/ , displayed as the MOTD on join. In my opinion, the layout isn't quite right given the rampant confusion on Vanilla (and less occasionally other servers) regarding some of the things that make sTTT different and special.

That's why I propose there be a special section on what makes sTTT different. Some of the things that would be in that section are currently under the "NOTE" subheading, which, due to its different formatting, isn't very prominent, even though those rules are VERY important to announce to people who join the server. On the flip side, there are a whole mess of rules right at the start under "General" that basically don't matter so much because they are rules constant across nearly every TTT server. Yes, those should be on the page to avoid rules lawyering, but they shouldn't be the first thing someone reads.

Things that make sTTT different:
    1) No killing for blocking
    2) No 3-warning rule
    3) No KOS based on weapon
    4) No killing on suspicion in overtime
    5) No "Live check or KOS"
    ----
    6) No "Detective's rules" or the like

1) and 2) are currently on the rules page, hidden away at the bottom as a footnote. 3) and 4) are on the "extended tips" page but not the rules. 5) is NOWHERE to be found- not the rules page, not the extended tips page, nowhere; I think that's a huge oversight. The argument I've heard is that these rules are all implicitly written because they aren't included in the list of "Traitorous Acts," and therefore it isn't necessary that they be written explicitly.

I say poppycock.

The server has a lot of little ins and outs that follow logically from the rules on the main page, but yet require sufficient clarification to be in an extended manual. The thing is, I think it's more important to advertise these to new players right up front, rather than sitting back with our fingers laced behind our heads and saying, 'Welp, it's their fault for not going on the forums to read that.' sTTT is different, and we should laud the largest of those differences right up front. Heck, the section could even include a tiny blurb about how our moderators are different, and required to follow the rules just as much as everyone else. We have a little space left on the MOTD.

As a side note, I've been on servers in the past where defending yourself against a detective is considered RDM, and not following his arbitrary rules is grounds for him to kill you. Those are a little less important, although I still think there should be a prominent self-defense clause in the MOTD.

Really, it's cool that so many of our players know the server, and so when someone says "live check or KOS," or "KOS the Assassin's Creed guy," 5-6 people at once say "you can't do that here." I just think it would be more expedient to head that off before it even happens.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

Most players know not to join a server and not take it as the last server they were on, and usually they ask about something before going through with it
    Serious TTT is very different than other servers, sure, but if they read the current rules, they should be fine

The first "new" suggested rules stated, 3 and 4, can be summed up under 'Clarifications' for RDM:
    And I've never encountered anything like 'Detective's rules', unless you mean "test or die", it would again be RDM

This is where I'm skeptical the most:
    If players aren't already reading the rules when they join the server, players still wouldn't be inclined to read the rules if these are added
    e.g. Many responses to reports are "He was following me and acting suspicious and he was a T so wasn't RDM", but if they read the rules, they would know it is

I agree with the suggestion, and would +1, but considering players now aren't inclined to read the rules when they join the server, the same thing would happen, and there would be almost no difference in the case of RDM, and I just don't see the point. I'm not giving this a -1, just stating my take on it.

(I'm prepared for a lot of Dislikes and Disagrees, but a constructive comment would be more helpful)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. @Python I agree and disagree, but that disagreement isnt to say you are wrong at all. Its more so the players wont be inclined if not inclined now.. the thing is no matter what there will be a player(s) who are inclined like especially not kosing on pressing the Q button which happens so often these days. If its in the rules they cant argue not that they can now but it will show hey damn i actually cant kos for them dropping a nade.. and they'll realize they made a mistake especially if staff are offline.Detective rules are quite rampant among ttt servers back when i played servers other than this one. I guess what it comes down to is no matter how much some players ignore the rules, if even 1 person decided to read them and learns something that prevents rdm and ruining other player's experience which can keep the server alive and doing well then so be it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DocFox

DocFox The Best Is Yet To Come VIP Silver Emerald

The rules right now are specific enough by omitting and including things they cover the majority of situations you can come across on the servers.

5. Enigmatica

Enigmatica The Song Lives On Banned

Would still make it a lot easier for us to explain something when someone asks about the situations outlined above. We can just say "bla bla bla it's also in the MOTD" and players who read the MOTD wouldn't have to ask, as not all of them are immediately derivable (for instance, different servers consider different things to be suspicious activity)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. ink

ink Genuine Happiness VIP Silver

Plus, I believe we MUST add a link to the Extended tips and rules on the MOTD, where if the player clicks on it, it loads on the steam browser (IE). That way, the new coming players who are actually reading the MOTD have a chance to never rdm and become stronger pillars of community without even knowing about the forums. I agree that forums should have some sort of advantage but I believe not for rules. Everyone should be welcomed to knowing extended rules, even new comers. This will not only reduce rdm but create less toxic behavior: the common "I didn't do anything.. he's not getting slain b/c he's a VIP." If they know about GBA and other rules before-hand, it would not only be a better community for the staff but for everyone else. This is also a minimal effort as well. Anyone can edit a webpage under 5 hours

I simply think it's a WIN-WIN scenario for the community overall, the new players and the staff members as well.

7. Muffin

Muffin Fresh Baked VIP

+1
    Would be easy to implement, and could have potential to help staff members.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Brahma

Brahma Homecoming. VIP Silver

I need this added so that players would stop arguing about the rules at me saying "It's not in the MOTD read the rules stupid mod"

• Like Like x 1
  9. s1rcool

s1rcool Active Member VIP

+1

10. Mr. Rogers

Mr. Rogers Lil Tokyo VIP Silver

+1, I would most definitely like to see this added soon.

11. BeautifulButterfly

BeautifulButterfly Float like a butterfly VIP

12. paper

paper legends never die VIP Silver

This should be no trouble to implement and would easily shut up "loophole" trolls.
    "A hurr durr it's not in the motd!!!!"

+1

13. Happy

Happy Laughter is the best medicine. VIP

+1

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. This really needs to be addressed. People are KOSing for too many invalid reasons and there are a lot of important rules that aren't listed on the MOTD that should be there, for instance KOSing on weapons or location. Please @Highwon could you think about doing this? I know this thread is a tad old but it really needs to be considered.

• Agree Agree x 1