Report Commenting

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Python~, Jun 21, 2020.

1. RyanHymenman

RyanHymenman Conscript the women and kids Administrator VIP Silver

I actually have to agree with this. If someone is posting irrelevant info or on a report they are not involved in, we should delete it. If you are worried about being accused of censorship, point out that there are other places that they can voice their opinion (discord, sb, discussion subforum).

I do also understand wanting to make warning points and the posts related to them public to encourage transparency.

There are pros and cons to this, but i think it should at least be considered

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. If we decide to do this, a note/post bar thingy should be made that a player attempted to post and it was denied. It'll help to keep the community informed of who is posting, who is denying, etc. Should help with the censorship argument a bit. It'll also inform users that their post was denied, as this is a forum where we probably want that feedback pushed to the user.

This isn't a form where we want posts just disappearing line QNA. We need a community viewable approach to this. Otherwise I can see censorship claims going off the rails, conspiracy theories, staff favoritism in their reports, etc.

I frankly don't see the need to do anything to change the current setup at all. We can only generate so many warning points before we get banned, so its not like this is a major issue. What really needs to be addressed is staff commenting on report they're not involved in, i.e. Frost. There isn't any real "punishment" for doing so. Its not like we can give them warning points, so meh.

• Dumb Dumb x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. and the new slurs ruling isnt?

• Dumb Dumb x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

If you're just here to derail you can kindly fuck off elsewhere ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Indy226

Indy226 Banned VIP Silver

Please do not derail in threads

Even as as a member, this is a frankly useless post. Even as a member you know you shouldn't be derailing threads with a irrelevant report against Frost. You haven't added anything of value to the thread.

Please don't try and push the fact that Frost was helping the report. Its pretty clear. History has no bearing when its this cut and dry.

Yes, I understand the irony of chastising Enemy. I'll take my derailing warning now. Watching these useless replies is getting irritating.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  6. cynder

cynder ice queen VIP

double irony

it's VERY clear people don't care about warning points folks. as lordy said the spam and completely irrelevant comments are moved to storage, so that can help declutter that. And since some comments, even if they get a warning point, might still want to be viewed by the public, I suggest hiding all warned posts? On my old forums, posts that would get a certain amount of negative ratings like "dislike" or "dumb" would be hidden but still able to be viewed. It shows the reason why the post was hidden and allows the viewer to like click on it to open the comment and view it. I believe this could be helpful with making things less messy and cause troll responses or derailing/irrelevant posts to be hidden without deleting it. I don't know how it you guys already have it for the ratings thing or if it could work with warned posts instead, but I'm pretty sure you guys have a similar website to my old one so it could have the feature added? Just an idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Indy226

Indy226 Banned VIP Silver

I was partially doing this as a joke, but yeah. Alotta people simply do stuff like this and expect staff to warn them

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  8. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

The censorship argument is silly. If you make a post, the relevant parties will see it. The only people who won't see it is the community, which has no say in the outcome of the report in the first place. It seems weird to heavily moderate the subforum, but then not just allow the subforum to be moderated like the QNA. Weird to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Confusing Confusing x 1
  9. What I'm saying is that a bar (like the green one for warnings) needs to be posted where the post would be, assuming it was denied. A log/notice needs to be shown on who posted, who denied, and the reason why. Otherwise the community at large will have no idea who is denying posts, and who's posts those are.

If staff can unilaterally deny posts with no community viewable information, it is a recipe for distrust and drama. The forum is literally there to report players/staff, and now staff can make posts disappear without a trace? (Yes, I know staff can see it, but from a normal community member's standpoint those posts would never exist.) That is a highly slippery slope to walk down. This community already has enough issues with beating on the staff, why add another vector?

10. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

First of all, why? Why do we need to know if someone posted or not? I mean, it sounds good, but wouldn't that sow more distrust? If I saw that the staff team silenced the posts, aren't I going to be very curious what that post was? It sounds like no matter what, this moderation thing is going to make some people distrust the staff team, but honestly? Who cares. I personally see it as not an issue because ultimately it would just replace the current protocol of moving posts that aren't relevant (like obvious shitposts) and warning the person. The upside is that it removes the incentive of posting on reports if you aren't involved, as you won't get warned (for those who just love getting into trouble) and it won't ever be visible to the public (for those who just love the attention). Win Win.

11. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

yall, staff delete comments all the time, idk why "censorship" is an issue all of a sudden. entire threads have been deleted/archived without anyone complaining about being silenced or censored, because that's not what it's about.

you guys reading way too much george orwell.

• Agree Agree x 2