Rejected Remove general rule #2

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by ink, Mar 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent A

Agent A Veni, vidi, vici VIP Silver Emerald

I got a suggestion. Why not compromise? You got your side. Other people have their sides. Why not just meet in the middle and sacrifice a bit to make something that we all can agree upon.

I think POP STAR's suggestion/statement can allow people to speak in foreign language while reserving the right to make people speak English if necessary.
    Alternatively, why not make it similar to what helix stated with in-game protocol stuff?
    That way, you can speak in foreign language. However, we would reserve the right to make people comply with our requests for them to speak in English by our discretion (aka case by case).

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. ink

ink Genuine Happiness VIP Silver

Yes this is a reasonable improvement from the current wording. I like it.

3. (ØČĐ)™ Atlas ︻デ═一

(ØČĐ)™ Atlas ︻デ═一 Always Gray ︻デ═一 VIP

To be honest i quit reading the arguments some time ago as it was a lot of the same thing. I support the removal of the rule in all voice aspects of communication but when it comes down to an official capacity I belive that staff should be able to read and comprehend english as this is primarially an english speaking community. The same should be made for reports in game, they should be created and answered in english for the simple reason of communication. I have spent enough time on google translate to understand that not everything works out word for word in reports (Mainly because english is a backwards hick language that fucks up the order of words vs the rest of the world) As long as text forms of communication for anything official is english then i see no reason to keep it in an unnoficial capacity.

4. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

Christ almighty. Let's just quadruple the length of every rule that doesn't need clarification whatsoever. Sounds good to me.

5. Siddo

Siddo Banned VIP Bronze

"All languages are allowed, but we reserve the right to request that you communicate with us in English." is that better for his Majesty?

6. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

Yes, peasant

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Mr. Disco

Mr. Disco Jeff Lynne is a musical genius. VIP

Hell no. I don't mind people fucking using a little bit of non english shit, but I don't want people on the forums to be typing in German and expecting me to translate it.

This rule doesn't prevent people from having fun, as you said "no one enforces it"

Imagine the SB if this rule was deleted, full of Japanese bullshit, Russian cussing, and English ballin'

If you don't speak English, don't come here. We started off in America, English-language based. Literally all of us on the forums speak English.

Just no.

I don't mind people communicating in other languages, but it is better to set a general language, so everyone knows what is being said.

People can communicate in their non-English languages in PM, otherwise, if it is anything public, it should be English. This makes it so it is easily moderated. For example, I was a mod moderating on the EU servers because no one was on, so I went there. A guy responds to an English report with a russian paragraph. It didn't really translate out to make sense on google translate, so I had to slay him. Now this was for a report sure, but what if I am harassing a dude in Russian..just in SB calling him something absurdly fucked up, what the fuck is an admin supposed to do when he translates it and it comes out as jibberish?

what kind of equality bullshit is this

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  8. Witchking

Witchking VIP

Reported for xenophobia

EDIT: On a serious note tho. How would the staff enforce the rules if they don't know that they are saying stuff like "faggot" in Russian or Latvian?

9. Husshuss

Husshuss VIP

what if 2 people were ghosting in a different language that no one understood? or gave away information about each other because they have their "safe" barrier of language? that's why i am against removing this rule

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dani

Dani Impersonating Staff Banned VIP

I'm all for English only on the servers, but I feel like this isn't that much of a problem. If people ghost in a place where everyone can hear them just because they assume that nobody can understand them, they're probably more likely to get caught than if they ghost in discord. I also don't think that someone who is not already a ghoster will suddenly start ghosting just because they think they can do it on the servers.

---

To the people who say that "many people feel more comfortable speaking their native language": Well, yeah. Everyone feels more comfortable speaking their native language. What you are ignoring is the comfort of all the people who have to listen to two guys speaking their native language, while the rest of the server can't understand anything.

Speak English. It's the language that all of us understand. I say all of us because I cannot imagine someone playing on these servers who is not able to understand English. How could you possibly have fun with this game that is mainly about communication if you can't communicate? 99% of the useful phrases in TTT are the same 10 stock phrases anyway, so I doubt anyone really has trouble with saying or understanding extremely simple sentences like "X is a Traitor" or "He has a Traitor weapon" or "He ran past an unidentified body, which is a traitorous act".

You might say, wait, that last sentence was a bit complicated. Well, it only used phrases that you can find in our rules, and that just opens up a whole new can of worms! Nobody who doesn't understand our rules should even be allowed to play here anyway, should they? If we were so scared of making non-natives uncomfortable, then why are our rules only in English?

I feel like the people who act like expecting non-natives to speak English is a bad thing are native English speakers themselves and don't know how easy even the worst English speakers have it on our servers.

11. Mr. Disco

Mr. Disco Jeff Lynne is a musical genius. VIP

Guys I think some of y'all forget this rule is located under "forum rules"

It only applies to the forums. You can speak non-English languages over the mic already, it's not breaking the rules.

• Like Like x 1
  12. neutral

neutral Banned VIP

Heya,

After reading through the posts we've decided to reject this suggestion for some of few reasons discussed in this thread, most notably, the ability for staff to properly enforce and clutter/distracting messages. That being said- like I mentioned previously, we're not going to go out of our ways to enforce harsh punishments on those just popping in and saying "Hola!" and similar instances. That's not what the spirit of the rule is- and if staff is enforcing it at this level, then they'll have upper administration to deal with. @DieKasta , in a jokingly way, mentioned this previously here.

Thanks for suggesting!
    HelixSpiral

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.