Remove Discretionary Team

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Twitch.youtube.com.ttv/AAAAAAA911, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Twitch.youtube.com.ttv/AAAAAAA911

Twitch.youtube.com.ttv/AAAAAAA911 Now you just somebody that I used to know VIP Silver

We have 4 admins on each team it's not even needed now
    Hell look at spitefuls teams with 2 people. There are plenty of spots on the staff team for the discretionaries to go.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Confusing Confusing x 2
  2. RyanHymenman

RyanHymenman Conscript the women and kids Administrator VIP Silver

-1. They are there for a reason. Its literally just using lead admin discretion to pick someone up

3. Cash

Cash I staff the proper way Banned VIP

it's still discretionary, less chances than a normal mod would have in term of mixups and less likely picks via normal admins

4. Twitch.youtube.com.ttv/AAAAAAA911

Twitch.youtube.com.ttv/AAAAAAA911 Now you just somebody that I used to know VIP Silver

Nah it's just a faster pick up. It would be better without disc team since admins should watch for behavior and look for signs of recklessness imo. Also stops quick pickups and people going offline for days at a time and not being able to hit the 15 hour biweekly mark.

• Confusing Confusing x 2
  5. Dodley27

Dodley27 Dolfin VIP Bronze

6. j3kawesome

j3kawesome "mestimate" - Indy226 Administrator VIP Silver

The point of the teams is that when the staff team is full they pick people up. At the moment Lordy's pickups are there from when the team was full. The leads are not picking up people right now because the admins have open slots to pick people up

7. PwnageKO

PwnageKO "I'll be seeing you on the forums." VIP

I think I should become the first Lead Admin that is solely apart of the discretionary team. This way everyone is happy. This is my suggestion.

• Agree Agree x 9
  8. Pokeben10

Pokeben10 tell me pretty lies Moderator VIP Silver

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Nathan776

Nathan776 Administrator Administrator VIP Silver

They really shouldn't be removed because they serve a purpose for when the staff team is full or if a pickup is expected to be longer term. That being said, they shouldn't be utilized in a way where there are 6+ open slots on the staff team with a discretionary team full. When the staff team is full the discretionary teams make a cycle where if a moderator resigns, there is another moderator to help fill the gap who is already trained. If a moderator isn't being moved from the discretionary team, it really just makes you ask why?

10. Rico

Rico The Coolest Person! VIP Bronze

Can someone tell me what this means... Are you upset that the staff team has groupings?

11. Twitch.youtube.com.ttv/AAAAAAA911

alright lets do a counting lesson. We have 8 admins and there are 5 spots each for every admin. 8 x 5 is 40 and we are only filling like 30 of those spots. 2 people on discretionary team right now and they can go into those 10 or so missing spots. What im saying is that we dont need it right now and its just a quick pickup and prolonged trial period. When i was a tmod for the original discretionary team, it lasted a month and i only needed like a week or 2 to improve on reports. Do we really need these spots?

• Confusing Confusing x 1
  12. Rico

Rico The Coolest Person! VIP Bronze

What does this mean? Whats a discretionary team? Why do you think trial periods are prolonged?

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  13. Twitch.youtube.com.ttv/AAAAAAA911

Lmao

• Dumb x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Confusing x 1
    • Useful x 1
  14. [MZK]Lightning

[MZK]Lightning I've Been ... Thunderstruck!!! VIP Silver

@Merrily spooky adult , lemme point out a few things:

We most certainly do not have 4 admins on each team. Jabba has 4, and Lordy has 3.

Spite's team has been the victim of a wave of recent resignations, and he just hasn't found any candidates to fill the vacated slots yet.

Not really. Each admin has the right as an admin to pick up only the candidates that will not only be successful as a staff member, but also mesh well with their team's dynamics.

You are so far off-base with this comment that it is comical. Lead Admins have the ability to pick people up who, as I stated earlier, wouldn't have had a chance of being picked up without the Lead Admin doing so. Take me as an example. @Lordyhgm saw fit to pick me up for a 2nd trial phase because she saw promise and potential in me that the other admins of the time didn't, and also saw that I sincerely learned form the mistakes of my 1st trial phase. I will give you the fact that we're having a problem with our staff consistently hitting the 15-hour requirement, but a lot of that can be attributed to things that are related to IRL issues. We at SGM are absolutely not going to take someone away from their IRL obligations/problems. Period!

Taking me as an example again, I actually benefited from my elongated trial phase because I was able to get my rule knowledge almost down to a lock.

Because of these points, I will be giving this suggestion the HARDEST of -1's.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. Coinston

Coinston "But what if Robots" - Chris Wedge VIP

I just say less tmods so IDK

16. The self-burn is real given you're a member of the discretionary team.

But in all reality, these members should be rotated into active admin teams. I totally get having a discretionary team for a defined purpose that can be articulated, but keeping them on indefinitely because no one wants to pick them up is a problem.

Leads are there to lead the server group as a whole along with their under admins. If workload from leads supervising mods can be shifted to under-filled teams, it should be done.

Over my course of time at SGM, leads have tended to say they're too busy to do things at one time or another. How about removing a time sink that can be shifted to another qualified person that is underutilized?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Twitch.youtube.com.ttv/AAAAAAA911

As the original member of the discretionary team, I can wholehearted confirm that this did happen.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

First of all, I want to point out that I originally created the discretionary team for two reasons:
    1. @Woet was constantly in my DMs, worried that quality applicants were wasting away and the staff team was full.
    2. There was a push to increase the number of slots each admin had

Now, I actually disagreed with number 2 and I still pretty much do. I thought it would create an undue burden on admins that didn't have the time or resources to pickup another moderator. I also figured that 4 was enough, but perhaps I was a tad bit biased. Idk lol. Fundamentally though, the idea of the discretionary team served a few different goals:

1. I wanted to pick people up that served time slots that were understaffed, specifically slots that Woet staffed (the graveyard shift more or less). In that sense, I picked people up that Woet specifically had mentioned seeing on the servers. Whether those people actually staffed during those times was not really a concern of mine, just that they normally played around those times was a good indication of when they would actually staff. I bet if you asked him, Woet would declare that this was a failure. rip lol.
    2. I wanted to be able to promote people that showed exceptional potential, but could not be promoted due to logistical problems (such as not having enough slots, not having any admins that were willing to take the jump).

What did I not intend for?
    1. I did not intend for the team to be a long term solution. I figured that those teams would be dissolved and the moderators would be folded into existing admin teams as soon as possible. I unfortunately resigned before this could become a reality, but I should have made it more clear.
    2. I did not intend for these teams to be directly supervised by lead admins. In reality, I was hoping to out source the work to an admin that had desires to take it up, to manage the trial mods and the moderators on the team. As it stands, lead admins really do not have the time to manage a moderation team. This has been proven by how long the trial phases took since I have been gone, and while I was there.
    3. I did not intend them to be used as much as they have. The team was mostly designed to fit a need or needs at the time that weren't being met by the admins or the amount of space we had open. That's it. I didn't really intend them to be a lead admin's back pocket moderation team.

I actually agree with Enemy here. He actually puts into words the exact sentiment these teams are suppose to fill. Ultimately, they should be used temporarily to provide for the staff team those individuals who are needed most. For now? I don't think they are needed.

That being said, I just wanna say that I did not expect this decision of mine to be so godamn popular. You people make me fuckin blush. :love:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Jabba the Slut

Jabba the Slut That's Kinky! Lead Admin VIP Silver

Some of these assholes keep asking for a 6th slot, they're down with the sickness.

• Funny Funny x 5
  20. j3kawesome

j3kawesome "mestimate" - Indy226 Administrator VIP Silver

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1