Redefine RDM.

Discussion in 'Rules and Protocol' started by ItsZac, Aug 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ItsZac

ItsZac New Member

Before anyone read this thread, I want all staff members to read this note.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT A MESSAGE FOR TRIAL MODS, MODS, OR ADMINISTRATORS. THIS THREAD IS FOR ANYONE WHO IS IN CHARGE OF THE STAFF TEAM OR THE SERVER. PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE YOUR INPUT ON THIS AND TRY TO PROVE A POINT.

Let's establish the definition of RDM. RDM = Random deathmatch, a case in which you kill anyone without reason. Myself along with others have been punished for RDM when they didn't RDM anybody.

It's too easy to commit RDM. Let's use a situation that happened with me earlier as an example.

I was a detective and I was running through a tunnel. I was with someone, and we both ran into a room. I looked away for a few seconds, and I heard an incin go off and fire just appeared. Me and the person retreated from the fire. He was the only person I have seen in that tunnel with me since the round started, so my first thought was he was the one who threw it, and I had lots of reasons to believe so. In result of this, I shot and killed him. Sure enough, he was a traitor, but he wasn't the one who threw the incin. I then got slayed by Luna for RDM. My reason for killing him wasn't random, therefore I shouldn't be punished for it.

The "killing someone on suspicion" rule should be removed from the RDM rule tree, or be redefined. This rule is too general, and can be manipulated in many different ways to make it seem like something legitimate was RDM. This extension of the RDM rule will allow anyone to get someone punished for RDM out of anger.

The mods can see everything that ACTUALLY happened, but the players can't. They also have to keep in mind that we don't have time to put together what exactly happened because it can be deadly.

If you want to see how corrupt this system is, purchase another copy of Garry's mod on an alt, and play as a normal player.

Also, please consider hiring mods from different timezones. There should be no reason that no mod is on the server for an hour and a half in the middle of the day on a weekend.

• Dumb x 13
    • Dislike x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  2. ItsZac

ItsZac New Member

I'd like to add on aswell that it's far too easy and common to commit RDM, on purpose or not. This isn't good as repeat offenders are usually players who visit frequently, and it can lead up to 5 day bans every time they play. That is, if the mods did their job and followed the RDM punishment chain.

• Dumb Dumb x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Xproplayer

Xproplayer VIP Silver

At this point the rules have gone too long to be changed

4. neutral

neutral Banned VIP

A couple notes.. anyone is free to provide their input. The players that are staff, indeed started out as just players on the servers. Most with hundreds of hours.

I'm not entirely clear what you're asking for here... what it sounds like is that you're upset that you killed someone on suspicion- because your logic wasn't entirely correct.

So you would like people to be KOSable without proper evidence?

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. tz-

tz- feelin it VIP Emerald

ftfy

also the kill you described isnt valid, you say he threw the incin but he didnt so you rdmed him, simple as that. you have to be certain the person committed a t act or is gba and you didnt so thats on you

and what exactly is wrong with "killing someone on suspicion," you cant just kill someone for looking at you funny so idk what youre tryna to get at

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Siddo

Siddo Banned VIP Bronze

But what if I want to respond :(? I'm just a little flake of snow.

Anyone can give any reason to kill someone, e.g. "stole my cheeseburger". That's not good enough though.
    For a kill to be justified and not RDM, you need a VALID reason. A reason given validity in the rules.
    Such as being guilty by association or commiting a traitorous act.
    You can even kill for something you didn't actually see - as long as you can know with certainty what happened.

If you can't be 100% sure that someone did something bad, you can't kill them for having done it - because you don't know.
    They could be innocent of the crime you're killing them for - and imagine how that feels on the receiving end, getting killed for something you didn't do? Feels hella bad man.
    Fair note: being deceived by traitor items (radio or disguiser) doesn't invalidate a common sense kill

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

This is a dumb suggestion. You are basically asking us to completely rework our system, a system that has worked for 5 years without fail, simply because you made some bad judgement calls?

hahaha no -1

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. DocFox

DocFox The Best Is Yet To Come VIP Silver Emerald

Member since today. Wants to change rules to fit his playstyle.

No.

Could a lead+ lock and deny this?

Thanks!

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Voca

Voca o.o Administrator VIP

Did you even read the rules before you started complaining about this?

The problem is not the rules, the problem is that people dont follow it and tend to use their gutfeeling rather than their brain in such situations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. twitch.tv/echostorm2k ⚔️

twitch.tv/echostorm2k ⚔️ screwdriver Banned VIP Silver

I think he's just being somewhat of a grammar nazi. Focusing on the fact RDM = RANDOM deathmatch.
    He is acknowledging kill on sus is slayable but he is bitching about how it isn't RDM because it isn't random. And I mean, technically he's right.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's just a petty thing to be bitching about, grow up and shut up :)

11. neutral

neutral Banned VIP

The community has pretty much spoken on the suggestion. This isn't the direction we are looking to go towards with the rules on our servers.

Thanks for suggesting!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.