Rejected RDM Forgive System

Discussion in 'TTT Suggestions' started by Pikachu, Feb 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sage.

Sage. VIP Silver Emerald

The majority of players would be deciding if the user should be slain based on personal vendetta. Some players would be punished, while others wouldn't - for the exact situations solely based on said personal vendetta. Which is simply unfair.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. My Dime Is Up

My Dime Is Up Its my dime to code VIP

Thats like the liberals marching because they didn't get what they wanted and its "unfair" that they're not being treated specially.

You have to push things sometimes to see the results. A short period of 1 week doesn't really give clear results in my opinion and I think we should keep the forgive system in for about 1 month and see the results. After awhile, people get used to the changes and eventually forget about all the cons it has (Or mst of the time)

I think we just need to push this system to get actual results, not 1st impressions and leave it at that.

+1

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Pikachu

Pikachu Member

While this is true that some players would be upset if they are not forgiven, currently that don't have the option to even be forgiven, so either way they are going to be upset about a slay. With a forgive system people are still going to be upset regardless because you are getting slain, but you are now giving more players a chance to not be slain which would make them not upset, and continue playing and having a fun time. I've seen many players accidentally rdm, or do 5 dmg, or messing around but everyone is having a good time and forgiving them, but then they get slain without even a say in the matter. There will be problems with the system, but I think it would add more solutions and the pros would out weigh the cons.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. Sage.

Sage. VIP Silver Emerald

I wasn't here during it's span. This is all what I foresee.

If this was re-enabled: players would be treated specially.

That doesn't exactly mean that we should just forget the cons right now. If anything, now is the most dire time to deeply think of all factors.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. My Dime Is Up

People need to realise that they're not always going to get special treatment. That's my point, and until we really say that, they'll never understand. The world isn't fair and not everyone gets special treatment and if that is one of the big points of why this isn't being implemented, its kind of disappointing.

I also never said to forget all the cons, I said we just get used to them and really find ways to get used to them or work around them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Santa Claus

Santa Claus Best Member VIP Bronze

Yeah you either forgive someone or you don't. Special treatment is kind of irrelevant since its literally a forgive system.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. john redcorn

john redcorn strangers like me VIP Emerald

Our discretion based system at the moment works perfectly fine for forgiveness, as our protocol exists to blanket all cases of rdm(intentional, accidental, revenge) and requires discretion to differentiate from. If we were to add the variable of a forgiveness button, it may cause moderators to take RDM punishments on a more case by case, causing confusion(What happens when they report unreported damage that was 'forgiven'?) and blurs the lines of their protocol heavily.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Pikachu

Pikachu Member

But this would make handling reports alot easier, because it will auto solve the case without you even looking at it, if they are forgiven. So you don't need to wait to deal with it, as it will solve itself.

9. Pikachu

Pikachu Member

Maybe in some cases it works, but most of the time I haven't seen removal of slays through accidental rdm, or dmg, or forgiveness from other person.
    I'm confused by what you mean by that. Like what if a innocent placed a c4 and mass rdmd? If that's what you mean, then the option would pop up for all caught in explosion, and they can choose to forgive, and if someone doesn't then he get's a slay based on the number who forgave.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. john redcorn

john redcorn strangers like me VIP Emerald

Like it should be, they should still be held accountable in cases where the moderator doesn't see it fit to seek discretion/admin doesn't it see it fit to give discretion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

Borderline, We have never allowed forgiveness except only on goomba stomps as those are almost always accidental. Forgiveness does not fit into our serious model of gameplay, and I do not believe it ever will.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  12. Solar

Solar El Dorado VIP

In human psychology, people are generally nice and very inclined to forgive when asked humbly. This would literally mean I can reply "I am sorry for that, it was my mistake. I promise to never do it again.", and most of the time I can probably get away with it.

Another thing is that some players cannot distinguish RDM or not. People report for C4, Death Station, Tripmine, etc. Making them go through players instead of directly to staff members means the report took longer to approach the staff member even though literally at first look it already is invalid.

Loopholing will also be prevalent, like I can just say "You passed by unid" and they will just go "oh ok I probably missed that."

Another thing is backseat moderating and unnecessary arguments. If you forgave someone for a valid RDM, then you get slain for the same reason then you'll feel wronged, or probably explain on how you know the rules more than the staff member, promoting arguments and backseating respectively.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Dolph1n

Dolph1n Time is an adventure- if you know when to look. Banned Elite

People can be bullied into forgiving RDM, it happened back when I used to run a TTT server. There was a guy that would run around rdming and then threaten to RDM people more if they didn't forgive the RDM. It's not a healthy system and can easily be exploited.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Pikachu

Pikachu Member

If someone went around rdming people because they didn't forgive, he would be slain regardless for not being forgiven, and then banned for continuing to rdm. I can't really see people bullying people into forgiving them. I've played on 2 other servers for a long time with the forgive system. I truly never have seen any problems with it, besides accidental forgiveness by clicking the wrong button. (Solved by telling staff)

15. Agent A

Agent A Veni, vidi, vici VIP Silver Emerald

I will give out why we disabled that forgiveness.

1) Even if the person forgives (or cancel the report), we staff have to investigate it regardless and make people serve their punishments (forgiveness is not given except under admin discretion and goomba stomps). Until the lead admins/Highwon/Disruptionz change their policy for this, it's just going to hold back the staffing (due to how the cancel report worked).
    2) Another complain about the canceled reports was that it clutters up the RDM manager and there were no way to hide it as you could/can do with completed reports.
    3) It was unintended feature of the new RDM manager.

Now should we ever implement a forgiveness system? Maybe, but only under certain circumstances. However, there are better things to invest time and resources into than a forgiveness system because our current system still works just fine.

16. Zack

Zack Shepherd of Fire VIP

This is expressly untrue, or you have a misunderstanding of how this would work, in their minds at least. If the report wasn't forgiven by the reporting player, staff would still handle the matter. If it is forgiven, only the person's life who was affected and the one who potentially wronged them are involved. It's allowing for the opposite of spite/vengeance and taking an extra step toward letting players peacefully agree that it was a mistake and doesn't merit a robotic slay in response to something.

If player A damages player B by some arbitrary means and player B is a polite sort, he may believe player A should be forgiven for offending -him-, and that should be fine, in my book. Now, if player A damages player B, C and D, and all 3 report him, player B forgiving him wouldn't absolve him of his affront to C and D, they would be personally responsible for that decision. There's nothing more spite based about this than issuing a report against them in the first place, as your initial intention is typically to either get them slain, or find out why they offended you to begin with.

You have my support on this, with some refinement, I think it's a far more pleasant system to work with than slaying mercilessly with no damage threshold.

(P.S - It makes me feel like a genuine asshat when someone is pleading to forgive another player and I have to tell them "Sorry, it's just protocol", in the event that I can't shore up a timely response from an admin, and I have to slay them over something absurdly insignificant. )

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Santa Claus

Santa Claus Best Member VIP Bronze

You guys have it all wrong. If they clicked forgive it would finish the report obviously (through coding). The staff wouldn't need to worry about it anymore and it would be done with. This is an owner decision and affects the entire staff team so if it was changed it would affect everyone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Dolph1n

Dolph1n Time is an adventure- if you know when to look. Banned Elite

Think about the new players. They don't fully know the rules of the server so they're not sure if they were truly RDMed. If they forgive, then they could possibly be letting an RDMer get away. If they don't, they could possibly be forcing an accidental RDMer to face a slay. It's a double-edged sword.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. AAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAA coolgamer VIP

Also Pikachu nobody is ever gonna forgive you for RDM anyways because ur big weiner

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. My Dime Is Up

I thought staff check every report. If they don't, then your point is valid but they say they check all reports so your point is invalid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.