Quick Question for staff

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tetrium, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Tetrium

Tetrium VIP

So, i was considering applying for staff, but due to being in the U.S. Army, I am unable to be available 24/7 and was wondering if it would even be worth the attempt?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Han

Han       VIP

You don't need to be available 24/7, but it does depend on what your occupation hours look like. If you're reserves it's definitely possible, if you're active duty, I really don't know.

It really is based on how your hours look like. You'll have to hit 15 hours every two weeks. If you can't do that consistently, then a spot on the staff team wouldn't be right for you at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  3. Tetrium

Tetrium VIP

I am active Duty, station at Ft. Campbell and next year I'll more than likely be deployed.

4. Han

Han       VIP

Again, you'll have to hit 15 hours every two weeks. I don't know your schedule, but that's the main factor.

That said, I don't think it would be the best decision personally. I feel like trying to balance active duty with staffing a gmod server would be distracting. Even if you weren't deployed, you might want to focus on other things that can bring enjoyment, but won't requirement a steady commitment. Just my two cents.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DocFox

DocFox The Best Is Yet To Come VIP Silver Emerald

Hello,

Active Duty US Air Force and former admin, here. I can assure you that as long as you communicate with your SGM superiors, you won't have an issue. Remember that when you deploy, you'll most likely have to resign from your position. That way SGM can be staffed as much as possible and you can focus on your deployment.

Hope this helps!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Lemon

Lemon ideal male moderator VIP Silver

For what it's worth, I'm in the Army reserve and I still held a staff position. Doesn't hurt to apply anyways, just see if you can maintain your hours and you'll be fine. If you were to get picked up by an admin they should have an understanding that you may not always be available or have the highest hours.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Scotty

Scotty Heroes come and go, but legends are forever. VIP Bronze

Seeing my father try to do the military and run a Guild Wars 2 guild and seeing him just end up just leaving the game to focus on his active duty position, I would have to agree here. I would suggest just focusing on the military and staying active duty, not that I don't want you to be staff but it would honestly be better for you in the long run.

8. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

Given the uncertainty, I would recommend waiting until things are stable. Once you know you can manage the hours, go for it.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  9. Tetrium

Tetrium VIP

Hey Paci, I am able to keep the hours at a constant minumum of 15, but I will do as much as possible.

10. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

Then by all means, apply.

11. DocFox

DocFox The Best Is Yet To Come VIP Silver Emerald

The questions that you should be getting asked are:
    What do you do in the Army?
    What is your schedule like?
    What extra duties do you have that could pull you from SGM?

12. Tetrium

Tetrium VIP

Well, I am a Mechanic, 91B. I work until generally 1700 everyday sometimes is sways either way. Every now and then I have to pull CQ, Batallion or Brigade staff duty which is a 24 shift. and every once in a while i have to go to the field for a week straight.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Scotty

Scotty Heroes come and go, but legends are forever. VIP Bronze

Are you sure you would be able to handle a staff position if you were to apply? That seems like a bit too much to do along with toss 15 hours staffing on too of it.

14. Tetrium

Tetrium VIP

I feel I am able to handle it, yes.

15. degolfer222

degolfer222 I finally changed my title VIP

As long as you think you can maintain the hour requirement, and think you would be good on the staff team, there is no reason not to apply. Your life is your life. If you think you have the time and energy to do so, go for it.