Dev [Projects] Future STTT: DustCraft 2

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Yawn., Jul 13, 2014.

1. Yawn.

Yawn. Previously known as Kindle, Books, Pages.

STTT DustCraft 2.png
    Hit that 1440p button bro, all the coolkids are doin' it.

Check our our other on-going project, 'Estate' here. Feel free to post below with any comments or suggestions!
    Concept by @Event Horizon, created by @Books.​

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Sinz

Sinz crumble VIP Silver

This looks heavenly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Enigmatica

Enigmatica The Song Lives On Banned

Hells yeah.

4. Mr. Disco

Mr. Disco Jeff Lynne is a musical genius. VIP

That env_steam though. :) Looks nice, too bad Garry's Mod doesn't look as cool as half-life 2

5. Yawn.

That's a myth. You see, Garry's Mod was originally a modification of Half-Life 2 before becoming it's full own standalone game. Think Day-Z/ARMA.

Then as time passed, Episode One and eventually Episode Two were released. With Episode Two, Team Fortress came to life along-side Left 4 Dead, Portal, and all that fun stuff. I believe it was two major updates ago that Garry's Mod was updated to the Team Fortress 2 engine. Since then, Counter-Strike: Source, and Half-Life 2, DoD, and HL2: Deathmatch have all been updated to this very pretty engine. (What you see in that video.) Obviously there are differences between the engines, but you can make them look however you dream with enough experience. Or you can make it look even better by using the most up to date engine version which is branched from LFD2; used for games such as Portal 2, and CS:Go. But then you're restricted to those games individually.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Mr. Disco

Mr. Disco Jeff Lynne is a musical genius. VIP

Very good information, I didn't know that. Yes, I'll dream my dream.

7. The Law

The Law You fought the law and the law won. VIP Silver Emerald

Wow, that looks awesome! I cannot wait to play it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AnarkisT

AnarkisT ★ No Gods, No Masters. ★ VIP Silver Emerald

Damn dude, looks awesome

9. CDriscoll

CDriscoll Lemme advise you VIP Bronze

10/10 would watch again.

10. Enigmatica

I would like to thank /u/Iksman12 for this wonderful opportunity! He is the Reddit user that created this map on Minecraft. @Kindle he would appreciate it if you gave him credit somewhere on the map.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Yawn.

Thank you for mentioning this. However, that may not be necessary if it continues going down the path it is. It's by no means anyone's fault, but the Minecraft-to-Source transition didn't fair very well.

You see, we need to keep the blocks in-Source a certain size; the same size that they are to the player in Minecraft. (Which gets a bit wonky from time to time, because Source uses Units which translates to actual Inches/Meters/such.) That's not the issue, we've long solved that. (I.e: Why the blocks don't look huge/too small in our other Minecraft maps, but just right.) The issue in translation, is how the map is made. For example, one of the gates in this map is one block wide open. Which works perfectly fine in Minecraft, because of the scaling, because players do not collide with each other, and because the players are not trying to kill each other as they make it through said gap. For Source, we need at least four-six wide gaps; so multiple people can go through with ease without colliding with anything (even each other), while trying to kill each other. Which means to move the right-half of the gate over to expand the entrance, I need to move that wall to the right as-well. To move that wall, I need to move an entire section of the map. Which means I have to redo an entire 'nother section of the map. He's also taken the pleasure to expand on the map past the normal Dust2 bounds, adding houses and extra walk-ways, etc that simply won't fit in the map which need to be removed. When we do that, that means we have to completely redo the skybox every time as-well.

There are other major issues as-well. You see, everything in a Source map needs to be contained. Everything in a map is inside, even the 'outside' parts of the map. The outside parts of a map are just rooms (just like any other), but dressed up with skybox textures and bigger lighting. If there is the slightest hole that leads outside the map- into that black void, the map does not play or compile correctly and the player will experience somewhat of a glitchy LSD-trip known as a Leak. Now, you can't just build a giant box around the map to contain it, no. That's horrible, I should slap you for even thinking that.
    That is a horrible idea because VisLeafs. VisLeafs are thousands of individually sized/shape invisible squares, that are created when the map compiles. They fill literally every inch of the map. What they do, is tell your client what they can and can not see. That way, your client isn't rendering the other half of the map, when it can't see the other half of the map. When you just create a giant box, it thinks that you can see essentially everything in the map; because that's what's open to you. The best way, is to make everything tight and corridor-like; even the outside bits. With enough Hint brushes, area portals and happiness, you can make it so the player isn't even rendering what is around the corner until they actually see it.
    With that said, everything needs to be crisp, lined and closed off. Which makes it nearly impossible with blocks missing everywhere -that the regular Minecraft player wouldn't see, so no fault to the MC map designer- and leading out to the Void and causing a leak. It's this combination of issues, which have me left to believe that redesigning it from scratch might be the best option. We'll see though.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Enigmatica

@Kindle I'm sure the community wouldn't mind if you simply made the door itself half as wide, or changed the angle at which the doors meet to give a larger entrance (currently the doors on dust2 are almost closed, you could "open" them up a little) or you could simply chop off a one-block-thick piece of door on both sides to give a 3 block wide entrance instead of a 1 block wide one.

13. Yawn.

Thank you, but there's various issues with all of that. If we make the door half as wide, that means the doors for that particular section will just be a single upwards-stack of tree/wood. If we change the angle any more, it'll be unrecognizable. That's not the point though, as I know there's a way even if it is a pain the ass. The issue and point is, it's like this for nearly everything; not just that one door. From the staircases downwards to the gates, if it was just that one gate I wouldn't have even mentioned it. As I said though, we'll see what happens.

14. Change-up

Change-up "Change is coming" VIP

We are blessed to have Yawn. here in the STTT Community and the STTT Staff Community
    Everybody give a round of applause to @Yawn. !!:coffee::coffee: *clap clap clap clap clap clap*

• Friendly Friendly x 1