Poll: Would you want Mods?

Discussion in 'Archived Minecraft Discussion' started by Juice Juice™, Mar 10, 2017.

?

Would you Want Mods?

1. Yes, But Only if it didn't require a server restart.

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. Yes, But I would prefer if the server didn't restart (would likely mean less-impactful mods)

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. Yes, Even if it required a server restart

16 vote(s)
    55.2%
  4. No, I only want Plugins

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juice Juice™

Juice Juice™ VIP Emerald Bronze

Mods, even if they are the most efficient and simple thing, would increase server loading time. They would likely also require a server reset, though there are ways to retain ender chest and inventory. However, done right, they could drastically improve the longevity of the server (Just look at TTT!)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mods are very much different on mc than TTT. If you want custom mods you have to pick and choose each one you want, the player would also have to install the same exact mods or else it's useless to play. Tekkit modpacks are fun and easy and all that but most major mods/ modpacks like the Crazy Craft mod are extremely laggy, giving a disadvantage to people with low quality computers. I don't think we need mods to keep this server running, it just needs more attention from the devs and players, helping to change it.

Making it a modded server is just the easy way out of this little dip the server is going through. It most likely won't attract new players and that's what we're looking for, a bigger player base. I'd love to play on a modded server but it's A. Too painstakingly long to find all the mods if need for the server and B. My crappy laptop (and others) probably wouldn't be able to handle it, it barely handles google chrome on its own... -_-

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. StrayHunter

StrayHunter Emerald

just make it a psuedo-tekkit server only using mods that have a lower impact on block count and script size :drool:

4. What mods would we use though? If any

5. StrayHunter

StrayHunter Emerald

These are the ones that are not extremely balance changing and out-of-this-world ideas, they are there to increase automation potential and add some sort of state-of-art technology level instead of manual labor.
    Buildcraft
    Industrialcraft
    Galacticraft
    ComputerCraft
    Dimensional Anchors
    qCraft
    Wireless Redstone
    NetherOres
    ChemCraft
    FlansMods (core, simpleparts and yeolde pack only)
    However, some people left JUST because the PVP got limited, but adding any PVP-centric mods can really fuck up the balance and turn the server into pure chaos.

• Like Like x 2
  6. I think the only problem with some of the mods you listed, they're extremely complicated and you have to constantly be looking up how to make things work on their wikis. Although it might be a fun improvement, it definitely wouldn't be suitable for beginners who aren't used to playing with technical mods.

7. StrayHunter

StrayHunter Emerald

It appeals to professionals or beginners who want to get into this sort of thing. You still have the option to not to play without any mods and not using them will only give the user of the mods the advantage of faster production in materials.
    It would turn into some sort of "live in city VS live in the wild" thing which can be acceptable...?
    Also, those mods come with an instructions booklet, chemcraft is real life chemistry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Adix99

Adix99 Ex-Moderator Emerald

FTB would be awesome, easy to install for players and not very hard to host either, although it would take a lot more resources for the host.

9. IAmRelapse

IAmRelapse Active Member

Mods are ok, but I prefer plugins only.

I'm also ok if you WILL add mods but make sure its on its own world/gamemode and not embedded to Survival. You rarely find vanilla survival nowadays, just keep it like that.
    *Although you still need to fix and add some suggestions to Survival...*

10. Kyül

Kyül Caged Bird VIP Bronze

I would totally be down, but there are some major issues, and most of them have already been addressed. I think the problem about every player being able to get the mods would be to make a modpack and post it on here. It has to be considered that if the server is not bound to be reset, mods that change the terrain or spawn structures are not going to be implementable. It is also important to check if the mods implemented are compatible with one another. Also, I would hate (and I think I speak for most players) to see the implementation of mods make the server unplayable and laggy, since it already has those problems to an extent. I think this had to be considered before actually launching the server, because with all these problems I think in the end the server will be reset and players like me and so many others who have spent hundreds of hours playing and building up balance and structures will be devastated and will not want to play anymore. Then again, if the server gets a reset and stuff is implemented, it will have the same major problem than the current one: players that start playing a few weeks or more after launch wont be able to grow in any way since the player driven economy has an endless potential of deflating. My opinion is that if we want a prosperous server that can last more than a few months we have to make it a replayable gamemode like Survival Games or Extreme Walls. Even something like War would be okay (a gamemode where players are given a long amount of time, between 24 and 48 hours [even more in some cases] to prepare and fight to the death in an Arena that gets smaller with time). Just something that people can pick up in a year and play no problem.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.