Answered On the use of unclear report responses

Discussion in 'Questions & Answers' started by Doctor Smurfenstein, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Doctor Smurfenstein

Doctor Smurfenstein Active member Banned VIP

RDM happens from time to time. Sometimes intentional, mostly unintentional. It also happens sometimes that you rdm someone in the beginning of a round and forget about it, only to then get reported for it at the very end of the round. You don't really remember anymore, so you just try your best and answer the report. In this case it would the job of the staff member to try and figure out what really happened. All they need is at their disposal: death scenes, chat function, shot logs,... I assume we can all agree that's why we have staff in the first place.

Now what do you guys think about this:
    From time to time you get reported for something so ridiculous, something so far removed from RDM that you don't even take the report serious, because it is just too obvious that the person reporting you is in the wrong. It would take a staff member one second to determine this based on the tools they have.

Except, you have a staff member that doesn't even care to check things out further and just decides to put a slay on you based on your unclear response. Granted, this is some mild trolling, but that's beside the point. A staff member shouldn't automatically decide in favour of the reporting party just because he can't be bothered investigating further.

Where does it state in the rules that an unclear response automatically means you're in the wrong? Since when do staff members no longer have to investigate every report and just get to decide how to handle them on a personal basis?

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  2. Han

Han       VIP

Could you give some examples of the unclear responses you're talking about?

They shouldn't, but again, it really depends what type of responses you're talking about. I'm assuming unclear doesn't mean stuff like "ASJIUJGIRHDGIUENRIUSBNUHSFDIU" or "You were a traitor."

If it's something like "You know what you did" or "I saw you do it", staff should be investigating that. I don't think most staff are going to see responses like that and opt for a slay on the report response alone.

3. degolfer222

degolfer222 I finally changed my title VIP

Reports need a serious response. If you don't give one, then we cannot determine your reason for killing someone. Even if we watch the deathscene and see that there is a clear reason, we cannot just assume that was the reason. You need to tell us why you killed the person, otherwise, we have work under the assumption it was RDM.

Now, most of the time, when I get an invalid response to a report such as "you know" or "huh?" or whatever else, I almost always pm the person and ask exactly why they killed so-and-so (and I hope my fellow staff members do the same). And if they give me a valid reason, then im happy and finish it up. But if I don't get a response, or if the person leaves the server before they can give one, we have to go off of the response they gave, which is not a valid reason to kill someone, so we must treat it as RDM.

As to why an invalid reason means RDM? Well, let's say you kill someone who is standing over an unID body and you say in the response "they were shooting." But when I investigate, I find they never shot that round. While the kill itself was not RDM based on the unID, since you never mentioned it, then I cannot take that into account, and instead have to slay you for it, since the reason you killed him was false.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Doctor Smurfenstein

Doctor Smurfenstein Active member Banned VIP

I fully agree with what you say, but my issue is about something slightly different.

Let me rephrase the question/problem. I was slain simply because my reponse was not serious. I wasn't asked to explain my answer or given the change to give a serious one. Instead, I was immediately given a slay. It wasn't until I started to complain about it that the slay was removed. This is what's bothering me. This isn't how staff should behave in my opinion.

5. Santa Claus

Santa Claus Best Member VIP Bronze

tldr please, both of you thanks

edit: cmon, for real. you guys are typing responses that are WAY too long. please shorten / add TL;DR's

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  6. DocFox

DocFox The Best Is Yet To Come VIP Silver Emerald

The burden of proof is on the players.

Joke around, get slain, learn your lesson.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. neutral

neutral Banned VIP

Han essientally answered this already.

It’s totally dependent on what the answer is. Obvious troll responses may result in getting you slayed if you do not give an appropriate answer. Does that mean ya can’t joke around? Nah. Sometimes I’ll throw a joke in, but then throw a couple line breaks and have my real answer there as well.

Regardless, staff can not select the reason that you killed someone for you. If you give an unclear response that attempted to answer the report— staff will message you to try to get more information.

It’s pretty difficult to say what the moderator did was correct or not, because I don’t have the report here in front of me, and you didn’t mention exactly what it said. If you still think it was mishandled then you’re free to contact their admin so you guys can settle out the fine details.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

TL;DR because frick doesn't like to read much.

1. It doesn't. That is just our protocol.
    2. Never. We still investigate the report, but without a response our investigation turns up a valid report.

Thank you helix for sniping me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1