Nvidia Shadowplay guide

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by sam., Jan 10, 2018.

1. sam.

sam. VIP

Ever since the release of Shadowplay by Nvidia, I've seen that a lot of people use it in order to capture funny moments, evidence, and everything from the past 5-20 minutes.

Before I continue with the guide you first need to have it enabled
    First you want to press the windows button([​IMG] ) on the bottom right
    Afterwards you want to just start typing, no need to find a search bar, with the words GeForce Experience. It should come up with the application you need to enable Shadowplay.
    [​IMG]
    Lastly, you want to press enter or click on the application and this application should pop up.
    [​IMG]
    Once it has you need to click the gear([​IMG]) on the top right and the following should appear. If it has click the switch in the box named, 'In-Game Overlay'. It should turn green once you have.
    [​IMG]
    After you have completed the steps you should be setup with Shadowplay and can continue with this guide.

Currently these are the features within Shadowplay:

Instant Replay
    Instant Replay is a feature that a lot of us probably depend on to do what I listed above. If you need to turn it on press Alt+Z and click Instant Replay. It should have a drop-down box where you can click 'Turn On'. For next time if you want a quicker way of turning it on you can press Alt+Shift+F10. Also if you want to capture the last 5-20 minutes you need to press Alt+F10. If you have turned it on, go ahead and turn it off so that you can fiddle with the settings. Open Shadowplay -> Instant-Replay -> Settings. Once you have done this you can change your Instant Replay length, the quality of your replay, resolution, frame rate, and bit rate. I recommend the following settings for anyone:
    • Instant Replay length - 8 minutes 30 seconds
    • Quality - Medium/High (Depending on system)
    • Resolution - 720p/1080p (Depending on system)
    • Frame rate - 60 FPS
    • Bit rate - 20-40 Mbps (Depending on system)
    When you are done setting up, you should go ahead and click the green Save button to the right. It should bring you back to the main screen where you can continue to turn it on after I am done with the guide.

Recording - Recording is basically a simple feature that OBS, Fraps, XSplit, and many other applications can do. However the reason I like this is because it's in the same application that I use often. Since the video recording settings are shared between Instant Replay and Recording, you should have the same settings you use for Instant Replay.

Broadcast LIVE
    Broadcast LIVE is another simple feature that OBS and XSplit can also do. I personally recommend against using this just because of how many options there is when using OBS. In Shadowplay, Broadcast LIVE is extremely simple and cut to the chase. If you press the Broadcast LIVE box and click Settings afterwards you should be brought to a screen of streaming settings that you can change to your liking. I personally recommend the following settings for anyone:
    • Destination: TWITCH
    • Quality: High/Ultra (Depending on system)
    • Resolution: 720p/1080p (Depending on system)
    • Frame rate: 30FPS/60FPS
    • Bit rate: 3.5Mbps
    • Ingest server: Wherever is closest to you.
    Remember that these settings that I have provided aren't what you HAVE to run, it is just my recommendation to you all. If you have a higher end system I recommend running resolution at 1080p and FPS at 60. When it comes to Bit rate, it all depends on your internet. So if you have 10+ upload I believe that 3.5Mbps should be fine. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

Gallery
    Gallery is self-explanatory. It basically just holds all of your recent and total replays and recordings. If you press on one of them you can share or remove it. The file location should be at the bottom, but if you want to get there without having to manually copy pasting, I would recommend pressing the Open file location button. If you double click the video you should be able to come to a screen where you can share the video and edit to your liking. The little arrows under the progress bar are arrows you can use to crop the video. To the left is a volume bar where you can increase and decrease the sound. Under that you can choose to upload to different destinations. My recommendation is YouTube. You need to log in clicking the green Log in button. Afterwards you can change the title and whether or not it'll be private(no one can see it but you), unlisted(need a link), or public(anyone can see it). When you're done filling it all out you can press the Share button on the top right to upload it.

Misc.
    There is one feature that I don't think really needs a lot of explanation. It is the screenshot feature. All you need to do to take a screenshot is press Alt+F1. However if you aren't just taking a simple screenshot and mean to edit it heavily afterwards I recommend ShareX.

PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS (Highlights Auto Capture)
    PUBG is a very popular game that has decided to partner with Nvidia to add a feature inside of the game to record all of your kills, downs, and DBNOs(Down But Not Out). In order to turn this feature on you need to open PUBG and click the gear on the bottom right. Afterwards click settings. Then under 'Video Capture', there should be a option called 'Highlights Auto Capture'. Click that and make sure to click 'Nvidia Shadowplay Highlights'. Press Alt+Z, click the gear, and press the 'Highlights' button under 'Broadcast Live' and 'Audio'. Where it says 'Turn on Highlights to automatically capture screenshots and video recordings using ShadowPlay', hit yes. Press Alt+Z again and you should be all set to have your moments in-game be automatically saved.

Known Bugs + Fixes
    Issue: Instant Replay not recording past 5 - 20 minutes.
    Fix: Restart your computer. You shouldn't come across this bug often unless you like to idle your computer a lot. Idling your computer a lot is bound to have your client disconnect from Nvidia servers. So remember to restart your computer.

If you happen to find more bugs, please report them in a post and I'll be sure to add them + find the fix.

More to come to the guide. Hope you find it useful!
    Updates coming: 1/12/2018

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Toest

Toest "I am the bus" ~ Falcor, all the time VIP

Super useful to catch rdmers and prove your case to mods or to prove your innocence! I use this all the time. My internet SUCKS so I use really low settings so my youtube uploads don't take as long.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Teroxa

Teroxa Vier Fäuste für ein Halleluja VIP Silver

You mentioned the highlight auto capture for PUBG.
    I use it myself and it's a really amazing feature.

Since the latest driver update the Auto capture actually also supports Fortnites Battle Royale Mode.
    So If you Play Fortnite and use Shadowplay that might be worth taking a look at.

4. sam.

sam. VIP

There should be a bulk of updates coming to the guide. I'll be adding the Fortnite features as well once I'm done with school work. (and watching tyler1)

5. Machinekiller00

Machinekiller00 I <3 Gunter VIP Silver

It always seemed kinda self explanatory but this is nice for those who don't know about it. Good stuff

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. sam.

sam. VIP

Doing more to the guide soon. This is just the base of it.

7. Sam my shadow play doesn't work for rocket league and gmod. I can give some more information about what version I use if you think (and want to duh) you can help me out. :>

8. sam.

sam. VIP

Yeah go ahead and add me on steam I'll help you out the best I can. :giggle:

9. DocFox

DocFox The Best Is Yet To Come VIP Silver Emerald

Something I find a little more useful for PUBG that doesn't seem to change how my game runs any more than Shadowplay is new Replay feature in PUBG; record all gameplay from any POV within about a 500m radius around your player. Players not liking the impact of Shadowplay can always check out the replays. They make for great cinematic shots for doing things like YouTube.

• Agree Agree x 1