New Rule Killed my Server Interest

Discussion in 'Archived Minecraft Discussion' started by Graze, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graze

Graze Zzz... VIP Silver

Hello everyone. I played a lot of MC since the release, and was mainly interested in a single thing the entire time, being at the top of the McMMO leaderboard. I studied the plugin greatly, and spent a lot of time learning about how to create a lead. I didn't spend much time making great things or much else, I spent my time grinding a woodcutting plot to make McMMO levels or making an enderman farm for them as well.

The following statement that the staff team for SMC has picked up is unfair, and defeats the core of the gameplay for me.

"Any grinders that are used to gain these (McMMO) stats will be considered boosting"

Are we not allowed to create naturally spawning creep grinders to train McMMO then? That is foolish. Everyone has the ability to grind these things, and at some point it's the only means of getting levels that makes any sense. I spent time leveling out a place in the nether for me to shoot mobs for no reason then? I made an automatic bonemeal dispenser for a herbalism grinder and that's apparently now against the rules too? My intention here was to get McMMO levels. I'll say it that this is the mark that kills the server for me. All I care about is McMMO. I dedicated my time on the server to establish a lead as number 1 through legitimate means of getting exp. Honestly anyone else has the ability to do this too if they cared enough.

These grinders are not AFK, they take as much time as the next person to create, and they allow me to play the game the way that I want to play it.

I can post a lot of arguments against this, but I'm more interested on WHY this is not allowed in the first place. How is this unnecessarily raising leaderboard stats? How do you raise stats then legally? If I make an environment for the efficient killing of natural mobs to make the most out of my time if I want a higher level in archery, why should I be restricted from doing that? The comment made by Robokiller doesn't make much sense to me in that there is no reason to do this to the server. There is already no real challenge in doing ANYTHING in Minecraft.

Anyways take it how you want to take it. This post was rushed after hearing about this when I got home from work and there may be a lack of continued thought and I also might be missing information, and if so please correct me. I'd just hate to see a server that I enjoy remove the only thing that I care about left with it.

TDLR: As long as they are not 100% afk exp generating, Players should be allowed to do anything they want to gain McMMO levels as long as it abide by the rest of the rules of the server. The boosting rule as defined by Robokiller is horrible.

Tagging @irritatingness @Deathbyrussian @Robokiller87 To hopefully get some insight into this because I'm pretty upset by this decision.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. john redcorn

john redcorn strangers like me VIP Emerald

This is my best proposal.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Graze

Graze Zzz... VIP Silver

This goes against the idea of what type of game Minecraft is. This game is a grinding game. You should be allowed to be innovative with machines and build whatever you want to build. The only logical restriction that I will agree to is the one that's against afk auto-grinders. If I can't use my time on the server to grind for McMMO, why do others get to spend their time grinding for items or enchants or whatever others want to grind for? That's not fair in any sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

So threads like these help us work through some of these newer rules that we are trying to put out. The exposure these rules have been getting has grown to its largest audience yet and now we're able to pick through what people believe does and doesn't work.

I've been informed that there was a detrimental edit in these rules before they were posted publicly pertaining to the idea of boosting so I apologize for the unnecessary stress I've created from this oversight. If you're wondering how I didn't figure this out before that discussion by The Law was made well it was a while ago and Im a busy person myself as I hope you can understand so I can't remember everything :oops:.

The rule is now stated as:

Which now reflects our original intent against boosting. I will own up to following the improper rule that was set and I was trying to work around the logistics myself and come to understandings on various scenarios of boosting as it was a peculiar phrase if I must be honest and with enough people bringing to my attention this issue I will be administering this change immediately and it's of course open for discussion.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Zikeji

Zikeji Repoleved VIP Emerald

When I agreed with a no boosting rule during discussions, I was under the impression this meant our leaderboards in general. No boosting deaths intentionally, kills, etc.

I disagree with banning the boosting of mcMMO stats through legitimate means (AKA in-game, meaning auto-fishing with a mod is still against the rules). I think the bigger picture is the mcMMO benefits should be balanced as to not get "too OP". Regardless of if boosting gives players an advantage (which it shouldn't) people will still bridge the gap, and if it does give an advantage than new players could get frustrated with it either way. Banning legitimate methods of quickly ranking up mcMMO stats just serves to make new players even more at a disadvantage.

Edit: sniped by Robo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Graze

Graze Zzz... VIP Silver

Thanks for the insight. I see nothing wrong with the rule given those changes. Just wanted to speak up when I saw something I didn't agree with being implemented. Thanks for the response.

• Like Like x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.