Nerf the HK SL8

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Scrungy, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Scrungy

Scrungy VIP

I'm sure there have been other requests to nerf the sl8 but I would like to make my case.
    After playing on this server for about a year numerous things have caught my eye, none like the hk sl8. It is "the meta" gun and if you are decent at aiming, you will be at an unfair advantage against new and unranked players if you have it in a loadout. It has laser accuracy, one shot headshot, 20 in the mag, great fire rate. Literally nothing is wrong with this weapon and people with ranks abuse that. For example; someone with CSGO pro aim and map awareness can buy a rank and spawn with one of these buggers every round and destroy everyone in their path (you know who you are). It is unfair for a new player because they would not have access to the points necessary to use such a clutch weapon, I have heard many players join and complain how unfair it is that people can just spawn and decimate anyone. Some players don't use it because they know its too op, it is frowned upon to use this weapon.

Here is my solution, just like the double barrel shotgun, make it spawn only! Thats it, just take it away from loadouts and buy menu and let it be as rare as the double barrel. I can tag all the players that abuse this weapons power, each of them are know what they are doing and I find it disgusting! Take the sl8 out of loadouts where it belongs bc it is equally as powerful as the double barrel. Or what can the solution be? We can't just let people keep having this unfair advantage. (And don't get me started about the ak).

Edit: I forgot to mention the sheer amount of people that put this in their loadout, 6 people on with +2k hours on gmod against new players is not fair to them.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 6
  2. Aquast

Aquast lordy was here :barefoot: VIP Bronze

mad cuz bad?

nah but just reducing the firerate and clip size should do it imo

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Scrungy

Scrungy VIP

There is already a counterpart being the PSG. HKSL8 as I said is too accurate for an entire server to have

4. wubby

wubby balls Administrator VIP Bronze

b-hop and dodge, then winchester their ass

ez

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  5. Panduh

Panduh I love ass VIP

If this happens, ill be forced to use the AK-47. Players will be even more mad when they have a lesser chance to kill me with that horrid weapon.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Aquast

the psg is inaccurate, doesn't always kill in the head and does too much bodyshot damage. it rewards bodyspamming and thats why i think it fucking sucks
    the sl8 is as accurate as any bolt action sniper, as i said the firerate just needs to be nerfed a bit.

7. Scrungy

Scrungy VIP

The sl8 has equal accuracy to snipers making snipers completely pointless. Just another reason

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Scrungy

Scrungy VIP

Just use a sniper rifle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. j3kawesome

j3kawesome "mestimate" - Indy226 Administrator VIP Silver

-1 I love my HK-SL8

• Dumb Dumb x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Aquast

you're forgetting that the scope of the sl8 sucks major dick compared to other sniper scopes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Panduh

Panduh I love ass VIP

The whole reason I use the SL8 is to kill people with an AK, next best option is just to kill them with their own weapon

12. Scrungy

Scrungy VIP

I have a big problem with this, your emotional attachment is in the way of an actual suggestion. Especially as an admin I would expect you to have something to say. But nope.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Scrungy

Scrungy VIP

Another reason why both weapons should be in loadouts and spawn only

14. Scrungy

Scrungy VIP

I ask that you respond like you have no emotional attachment to this weapon.

15. sleepy panda

sleepy panda A panda that may be sleeping VIP Bronze

+1, mag count should be dropped to 15 or 12

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  16. j3kawesome

j3kawesome "mestimate" - Indy226 Administrator VIP Silver

Here is my opinion then
    The HK-SL8 is a weapon that is good to combat automatic weapons. The thing that makes the gun powerful is that it is a 1 Shot Headshot but it is balanced out by its body shots where you need 4-5 shots to kill someone

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  17. RyanHymenman

RyanHymenman Conscript the women and kids Administrator VIP Silver

-1 I love my HK-SL8

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. I'm just going to go through your arguments and explain why your suggestions are not the proper way at balancing guns in a game.

So kind of a double whammy on this one. Let's start with "if you are good at aiming it's unfair to new players". That right there is a HORRIBLE idea for balancing guns in any game. Not even guns, anything in any game should not be catering to new or bad players. People put time into having better aim/muscle memory with the source engine, why should a new player just hop in and be like ooop you guys have no advantage haha xd im new. Even in non FPS games catering to new players is highly regarded as a horrible, horrible idea. And you keep reiterating that as one of your main points for the nerf. Second, floor spawn only. You complain about people using the gun, floor spawning only will not stop the complaining and just limit the amount of people who use it. Which I mean, if only a couple people have a gun, or any gun regarded as the best gun in it's category can freely do whatever. Look at the bulk cannon, person who finds that typically wins the round. I argued this in shoutbox so I assume you're going to be like "omg so sl8 is same as bulk cannon". DB and SL8 are different in that with DB you can basically 1 shot body shot which takes up pretty much the entire center of your screen to get that 1 shot kill. VS a much smaller target to get the 1 shot kill. Even with the fire rate nerf the SL8 did have pre-shutdown it was still the optimal sniper to use.

So I don't know if you've played many FPS games outside of source engine, there's always going to be a gun in each weapon class that is the best in slot. Same with other games BiS or "meta" items are a thing because if every item was the same they would just be reskins. Of course there are going to be stronger weapons, it's just how it is. Remove the SL8 and a sniper rifle replacement can be found or everyone using SL8s switch to ARs and then just still make it unfair for the "new player" as you say,

Kind of already went over this topic. DB is a different item all together with different capabilities compared to SL8 so it should not be lumped together.

The way you talk about balancing coming from a new player perspective is the improper way to try to balance items from a design standpoint. You should never cater to a bad player as that disregards other players time spent in a game + makes everything even easier. SL8 gets nerfed, a replacement gun will be found, people will complain about that gun.

All FPS games have a meta item in each weapon class, that's just how it is. Valorant has the phantom, CSGO ak/m4, etc. The average+ players are always going to stick with the stronger or "meta" guns because there's no point in using the other guns. And nerfing the "meta" guns below the other guns just makes the other guns the new meta. It's tough to balance guns in the game. So a slower fire rate or reduced clip size really doesn't do much in the grand scheme of things. With source engine's gunplay a P90 or other AR can beam anyway, may not be a 1 shot headshot, but nerfing the sl8 just means you'll get killed with the smg or AR from long distance anyway.

That's all I have to say. Any gun in the right hands can be better then a new player is with the "OP" guns. So not responding

• Dumb x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  19. RyanHymenman

RyanHymenman Conscript the women and kids Administrator VIP Silver

wanna add shotguns too? The issue with this strategy is that you will end up removing every gun that has an advantage. They are in the loadout for a reason, to give an incentive to donate.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Tony Danza

Tony Danza Regular Member

*Gasp* I didn't realize this server was p2w :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1