Monsters Inc. Ted Talk

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by food, Jul 21, 2020.

1. food

food VIP

Well I wasn't expecting this to happen, but after these five lovely lads liked my status, I have to obey the master.

So now I have to upload my essay on Monsters, Inc. to this site.
    On the one hand, everyone here is judgmental and I wrote it while I was bored. On the other hand, I'm kind of proud I wrote this essay and I'm kind of glad I get to share it with people.
    If you don't like it, blame @Frost @Jabba the Slut @Troll Face @Coin and @Spreadsheet .

This is

Why Monsters, Inc. is Pixar's best film
    [no, this is not a shitpost]
    So usually, when you ask someone what their Favorite Pixar film is, they say it's probably one of these,
    pixar.JPG

Yet for me, Pixar's magnum opus is actually this movie:
    [​IMG]

Now I think Monsters, Inc. is incredibly underrated. I'm sure most of you are like "well I like this movie just fine," but I don't think people ever realize HOW good of a movie it is.
    So, Pixar hit the ground running with Toy Story, a few more successful films followed [including Monsters, Inc.] but what really put them on the map was Finding Nemo in 2003. Thanks to Oscars, a successful run at the box office, and most importantly, merchandising, the film was a game changer. The Incredibles, Cars, Ratatouille and other films of the same suit followed. And although the 2010's have been a relatively mixed decade for Pixar, overall they are a company that produces wonderful films.
    So, where does Monsters, Inc. come into play there? Well, it really doesn't. It was successful, and it's definitely a well known movie, but think about it; when is the last time you actually watched the movie?
    I think this a very underappreciated film, and I don't think enough people give it credit. I will now explain why it's my favorite.
    For starters, me and this movie have the same birthday [November 2, 2001], but beyond that, this is an animated comedy family film done
    right. I can think of flaws in Up, I can think of flaws in Ratatouille. I can even think of minuscule flaws in the Incredibles, but i can't think of a SINGLE THING WRONG with this movie.
    So I will go through it aspect by aspect

Animation:
    I think the animation in this movie holds up great. I mean, granted, it's Pixar, their films all look great, but when you look at this film from a technical level, it really is incredible what Pixar could do in 2001. They had to make simulation engines for cloth and fur.
    Not only is every hair on Sulley individually animated, but every scale on Randall is also visible. That blows my mind.
    There are also some really creative character designs. Much like in Spirited Away, most kids feel like they've drawn creatures like this before.
    spooks.JPG
    Some of the characters even remind you of people you meet in the real world; In Kindergarten, I accidentally called my teacher "Mrs. Roz" because she reminded me so much of her.
    There are other small details in the film in terms of the animation like the reflections on the factory's equipment, the textures on the characters, the overall aesthetic of Monsters Incorporated's building that seems both retro and futuristic. The film is also very colorful, which is something I think animated films NEED.
    So the animation is great, but beauty is only skin deep. How about everything else?

Characters:
    Aside from the creative designs, I think the characters are really great.
    I'm just gonna say it; SULLEY IS THE BEST CHARACTER PIXAR HAS EVER PRODUCED. He is huggable, friendly, and calm. He's a good worker, a good friend to Mike, and when Boo shows up he's a good parental figure.
    Mike is also a funny character. Thankfully this is not referred to as "That Pixar movie with Mike Wazowski" or "That Pixar movie with Sulley," it's referred to as "That movie with Mike and Sulley." They are a great, inseperable duo. Mike is less likable to be fair, but he's definitely funnier [I will talk about the humor later].
    Boo is also a really cute child character. I know that some people think she's annoying because she can barely speak and she just giggles and walks around, but I talked the same way when I was her age [about 3 years old], and they had an actual toddler voice act her, which makes it more authentic.
    Randall is a menacing villain, and he is intimidating and scary. But the real villain is actually the company's spider-crab-like CEO, Mr. Waternoose. As a twist, I think it's pretty solid, and he's not just a remorseless bad guy, he actually feels bad for banishing Mike and Sulley. But the decline of his company has made him lose his mind, and he has had to stoop to a new low of kidnapping children.
    Some of the side characters are also pretty funny. Celia, Mike's girlfriend, gets a few funny lines. And Roz is fucking hilarious, largely due to the delivery.

While we are on the subject, the voice acting plays a big part in this movie too.
    Sulley and Mike are voiced by John Goodman and Billy Crystal, who are both really good comedians. Goodman's booming, midwestern/southern voice gives a lot to his role and makes Sulley even more likeable. Billy Crystal as Mike makes for some good comedy. His voice really captures the neurotic nature of Mike. Steve Buscemi is just menacing [come on, it's Steve fucking Buscemi. This is the only role he does and he is awesome at it]. Jennifer Tilly is funny as Celia, she's got that Barbie SoCal voice that most receptionists have. And again, having an actual toddler voice Boo, who is a toddler, works wonders.

Humor:
    As I mentioned, the characters and voice actors play a big part in this movie and making the funny lines funnier. As for the humor itself, it's just pure comedy. There aren't any innuendos or sex jokes, it's humor that everyone of every age will laugh at.
    This movie also has some great slapstick, such as 1:33-1:38 in this video:

Plot:
    The movie's plot is really fun, although reminiscent of the Nickelodeon show "Aah! Real Monsters," in which monsters enter the human world to scare for a school program. However, the pacing is what makes Monsters Inc. so good.
    The movie's opening scene, in which a monster tries to scare a child [in a simulator] and fucks up, is a good thesis for the movie; Monsters can be scary, but they can also be goofy, funny, and they are even more scared of kids.
    When Mike and Sulley enter work and scare, we are given plenty of "show don't tell" moments that indicate how proficient they are at their job, how dangerous human kids supposedly are, and that the Monster world isn't all "Tim Burton and nightmares"; It's a normal factory.
    After Boo enters and panics the city, the plot really kicks it into gear. Of course the irony here is that monsters are scared of a cute little baby. Over the day, you see Sulley really bonding with Boo, while Mike just screws up and makes the audience laugh.
    The evil plan is soon revealed, and the climax follows. The climax--in which Mike, Sulley, Boo, and Randall navigate the factory's door machines--is a lot of fun, as the characters go from Paris to Hawaii to Louisiana. Randall is disposed of in a comedic way.
    Shortly after, Waternoose is cucked. Sulley has to say goodbye to Boo for her own safety. It is a heartbreaking scene, because the two have built a real connection over the course of this movie. When boo opens the door and sulley isn't there, it makes you sad.
    The factory shuts down, movie is over.
    Just kidding.
    Turns out, laughs are more powerful than screams. So the company rebrands itself and begins making children laugh rather than scaring them.
    And at the end of it all, it is revealed that Mike fixed Boo's door, and Sulley enters it. The last thing you hear before the credits is boo exclaiming the nickname she calls Sulley throughout the film:

"Kitty!"

That chokes me up.

Also, if you grew up with the VHS copy like I did, this is one of those Pixar movies with the funny outtakes . i wish more animated films had those, makes it so much funnier.

CONCLUSION
    Overall, despite being a MEME DISPENSARY...
    poop.JPG
    Monsters Inc. is an enjoyable, fun, heartfelt movie that has a perfect balance of sadness, happiness, and animation. The film is constantly overshadowed by Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, and other great movies, and I wish the film was more appreciated.

10/10 flawless film,
    I cannot wait to show this movie to my kids.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Confusing Confusing x 1
  2. Do an essay about Monsters, Inc. 2: Lost in Scaradise and give your opinion on what it could of been.

3. food

food VIP

Plz no
    My thumbs are already in pain from typing all this

• Like Like x 1
  4. LeBlonde James

LeBlonde James Supporter

You've inspired me to write something on the forum of this capacity. To be redeemed here in like a day prolly, expect it. Not on this topic tho, just the dedication is admirable

5. Coinston

Coinston "But what if Robots" - Chris Wedge VIP

time to do one on robots

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Confusing Confusing x 1
  6. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

I hate to be that guy but there are a lot of weird plot holes and inconsistencies in monster's inc. I love the movie but like, parts of it make no fuckin sense. For instance: why did waternoose go to jail? What crime did he actually commit? First of all, we have to understand that the children in this movie are technically from an entirely different dimension. What laws govern what can and cannot be done to the children of the other dimension? Furthermore, how, and when, did the monsters get the notion that the children were dangerous to them? Are children an actual danger to the monsters? It doesn't really seem like it, but the film doesn't dwell on that. Also, why would waternoose not just state outright what he wanted to do? The city very obviously needs the power from the kid's dimension, and as far as they are concerned the children's dimension is more or less outside of their own, why not just allow them to break in, steal the children, and drain their screams? Power could be generated cheaper, more efficiently, and probably more plentifully. It seems short sighted to take into the consideration the well being of the children that are, at least to the monsters:

1) their sole source of energy
    2) dangerous to their very existence
    3) already being harmed by the scare tactics of the monsters.

Also, where the fuck did the abominable snowman get lemons way out in the fucking arctic? Don't you tell me that it was actually his piss, because if that is true than you gotta consider that this motherfucker tried to make sulley and mike eat his pee. That is fucked. For real.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Elvis

Elvis TheRockStars VIP Silver

When I was really young, I had Monsters Inc. on VHS tape (which btw half of yall probably dont even know what VHS is cause yall are children), and according to my mom I watched it so many times throughout the course of my childhood that I ended up burning out the tape. It was a really big part of my childhood and I will always and forever, to the day I die, love that movie.

EDIT: The ending credits were one of the best parts of the film. On my copy of VHS I had an option to view several shorts they made throughout the making of the film, including "For the birds" and "Mikes new car". Honestly one of the best films ive ever seen to this day.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Noctorious

Noctorious Your Best Nightmare VIP Emerald

If they did believe humans were toxic it was probably against the law to bring them into the monster world. Even if they weren't actually toxic the law was probably in place and Mike and Sully got away with it cause all the evidence pointed to waternoose being the one to bring the kid into the world.

According to a DVD extra from the DVD I had as a kid, the monsters were cast out from humanity and started their own society on an enchanted isle. They are technically in the same world but are teleporting to the humans using doors.

• Informative Informative x 1