Modern music - trash?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Mr. Disco, Jun 7, 2018.

1. AnarkisT

AnarkisT ★ No Gods, No Masters. ★ VIP Silver Emerald

I hate about 90% of the music I ever seen anyone listening to. Today's music sucks.

I mean, I listen to EDM nearly exclusively, so... I cant really talk.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Don't worry @Han; I still have hope for you! just a wee bit....:p

3. ayygurl_

ayygurl_ VIP

For me that's a clickbait title since I (and probably most people) consider modern mainstream music bad.

Also taste is subjective but the video might be good, I didn't even watch it so idk.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Taste is always subjective; whats good and bad is not.

• Confusing Confusing x 1
  5. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

Sorry can hear you complainers over me jamming out to Taylor Swift and Lorde (y):cool:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I confess to listening to taytays early music, which actually had merit. Sad what she's into nowadays but that's a worn out topic lol. Can't help u with the lorde thing tho.

7. Jabba the Slut

Jabba the Slut That's Kinky! Lead Admin VIP Silver

Eh, I prefer classic rock over every other genre but I have a few artists I keep track of and listen to their new stuff. Set It Off, Awake At Last, and Eminem to name a few.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Scotty

Scotty Heroes come and go, but legends are forever. VIP Bronze

I'm sorry, I'm a huge Eminem fan but his last album was garbage.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I feel that the current pop genre is falling victim to mass corporation changes. Lots of songs stemming from the pop genre tend to lack focus and overall meet the minimum of what has been determined as the staple for current pop music.

Along with this though, there are plenty of people still producing great music. While it may not be pop music, there is always good content to hear. Jack White's new album was amazing, and there are plenty other examples to list off.

Don't be sorry: it was.

10. Mr. Disco

Mr. Disco Jeff Lynne is a musical genius. VIP

Yo.

@Opalium

Nice response. I find you don't quite understand what the video is saying. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club band was used as an example. For the time it was actually super innovative, rarely would you see anything like that. Lots of talent went into it (not just 6 or even 10, or 20 guys) around around 100 in total helped record on that album. You get what I'm saying, gonna keep it short. But basically he was grabbing something a lot of people would know. It doesn't mean everyone who listens to it needs to enjoy it.

Same thing with modern music. But right on you, I shouldn't use "modern music" I'm rather talking about music made around the 2000s+ (a quite like a lot of music from the 2000s, and actually 2010+) I'm not talking about any genre in specific. Just all music made in the past 20 years. (which would be 1998+) Just like art, the quality of music hasn't really declined, it is just perhaps the less talented, less complex, simple, lyrically dull songs have become popular. Just like art. The visually crappy, ugly, pointless, paint splashed canvases have become popular. The 1960s had plenty of untalented shit music, but you don't hear about it? Why is that? no one really cared to listen to it. It never got popular because no effort, no money, and no money, no food. But yo, some people enjoy the shitty looking art that just looks like splashed paint on a canvas. Some people enjoy the songs that took less time, talent, and effort to make. It's not that big of a deal. I completely understood the video because I feel the same. The music today is just dull. I have found plenty of music made today that I love and enjoy. Ones that I would listen to over and over again, and I might actually buy their albums if I love it enough.

At the end you said your point is basically that it most people aren't attracted to talents anymore. I think you were agreeing with the thing talked about in the video which discusses the iPod and how our attention spans with music became very low with streaming music. He basically said we skip through songs so fast without listening, and that's why a lot of music today uses the same layout, because that is what works. That is what makes them money. And I agree on this.

Thanks for your response though, this is why I posted the thread. I didn't care too much to hear about how much people like Led Zeppelin and Queen, or Taylor Swift and Katy Perry.

This is a social problem, I was just discussing a more focused part of it.

[​IMG]

But to my standards in my opinion most of music today is trash like holy shit its so repetitive and bad. But I do like Public Access T.V, and Greta Van Fleet. (y)

11. Jabba the Slut

Jabba the Slut That's Kinky! Lead Admin VIP Silver

I didn't say it was good, but I gave it a listen. Benefit of the doubt yo.

12. veL

veL VIP

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  13. Hear Hear. Of course, we have to acknowledge that people have different tastes, denying that would be absurd. However, as stated in the video, and taking into account that the "popular arts" influence many facets of society beyond just entertainment, there is good cause to worry about the downward spiral that the most popular music is on, and the ripple effects that sends through society. As @Opalium stated, going anywhere beyond this statement gets intrinsically political and that might not be very productive to do here and now.

14. I'm going to make two spicy takes here:

1. All music is fueled by repitition.

2. Greta Van Fleet is hurting the rock industry, mainly because they are just taking a sound already well known by the rock industry, and using nostalgia to drive their fame. They really don't add anything new.

15. well then we would need to define what repetition is. simply having a chorus doesn't constitute repetition, that's just a mechanic.

16. Hingle

Hingle Slow Motion VIP Emerald

Who can say modern music is trash with masterpieces such as this.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Kyül

Kyül Caged Bird VIP Bronze

AMEN

18. Yep, and their inability to stop killing each other is definitely totally unrelated to this. Who could even suggest that lol

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. -tyler

-tyler My trial was filed as a crazy suicidal head case. VIP Bronze

So many people are trying to be musical artists now, the market is so much bigger than before. Yeah, of course, with so many people trying to be artists, you're most likely NOT going to like most of them.
    I believe that there is definitely music out there, that's just as good as it was in the 60s or 80s. But to be honest, we care more about image now, rather than talent. So the people who aren't that talented will probably rise to fame because of some of their other attributes.
    Rather than focusing on lyrical content, which I believe should be focused on the most in terms of music. A lot of artists now focus on themselves, and how people view them. In return, some of their content starts to lack.
    My point being is that Modern Music isn't necessarily trash if we're talking about ALL music that was made in the past 10 years.
    But if we define modern music as the most popular hits in the past 10 years, in my opinion, I believe that not all of it has been that great.
    So I believe that honestly, it's dependent on what you're into. All up to opinion.

20. I know we have all said it, but it seems that it bears repeating since it seems some people haven't noticed: There is without doubt still good music being written today, it just is not the majority of it, and it certainly is not receiving widespread attention.

It also goes without saying that in this field, yes, a large portion of determination is dependent on personal taste. However, as I have previously said, since popular music, as well as other facets of entertainment and cultural practices, heavily influences the behavior of people in our society, it is imperative that we uphold some standards; that's not censorship, that's care being taken for the common good.

Look at what gangster rap did to the African Americans. For another example, songs with a total disregard for the dignity of the person of females certainly contributes to violence against them (this is not saying there is an epidemic of such, as is often said).

And music of this nature has been written for a long, long time. It's not new within the last decade, the only difference is that it is MASSIVELY more common now, promoted, and deemed "acceptable".

We can't say "everything goes, some people enjoy it", because some people enjoy doing wrong. And to allow destructive influences to proceed unfettered is to court our own destruction.

• Dumb Dumb x 2