Maps, RTVing & You.

Discussion in 'TTT Discussion' started by Carned, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

Being the person who is trying to get the very best content on the servers for the community is always going to be a difficult task. Playermodels, Jihads are easy but maps, god you guys are your damn maps!

The purpose of this thread is it find out what you like about the popular maps, which is your favorite and why and why you RTV other maps.

So from what I can tell the most popular maps are (Basing this off what never get rtv'd)​
    • 67th Way​
    • Dolls​
    • Innocent Motel​
    • Assault ​
    So my question is, what do you guys like so much about these maps?
    Is is because you know them and can easily play them? Is it the layouts? Help me out here.

What is your favorite map? Explain why, this will help us determine what kind of maps are popular.

Why do you RTV certain maps? Do you hate Rooftops? Why? Please explain to us in detail why you like to keep the 3 maps in rotation and RTV anything else? Do you just hop on the bandwagon?

Its frustrating to play and even more frustrating to try to focus map choice around because all the last maps we add get lots of positive reception on the testing but then always get RTV'd.

The more details you provide the more we can cater our maps toward this.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Acnologia

Acnologia modern desperado VIP Silver

I don't usually choose any of these maps besides Assault, and I do it because of the nice map layout.
    I only !rtv Craftroom and Amsterville (self-explanatory).
    I actually like Rooftops :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Zypther

Zypther #SuitUp VIP Bronze Iron

I like community bowling cause props and propkilling and it actually lets t s do their job with how big it is but isn't Amsterdam big. Dolls same thing,inno motel, same, and assault is just great, although I'm not too much of a fan

4. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

The Good
    Most people like medium to big maps that have nonlinear layouts that are suited to all gameplay types, sniping and CQB. People like maps that are lit up very well, with few to none areas completely incased in dark, and maps with lighting and color schemes that feel comforting. Think about 67thway, you have areas where you can snipe and ares where you are confined to small areas. It also has multiple ways to get to the areas, with teleporters in the middle of the map and on the ends. It offers hiding spots and rewards exploration by finding these secret ways to move about it.

I think the biggest thing people like in maps is free flowing movement and maps that allow for many different playstyles. Funnily enough, that is what the maps you have listed above have.

The Bad
    It seems that maps that do not allow this get rtved quickly. Such maps are Whitehouse, Terror train and Rooftops. These maps aren't bad, and they can even be called really well made by map developers, but they all share the same fatal flaws. Their levels are too constricting and only promote certainlevels of combat. Whitehouse is close qaurters combat that doesn't work for sniping, and in most cases you can only get to parts of the map by going one way. Not to mention an often times cluttered upstairs and an easily fortifiable downstairs. Terror train is the same way, while it does have spots that allow for sniping these are limited, and the CQB and often times claustriphobic nature make the map really frustrating to navigate. Not to mention one discombob has the potential to knock people off the train itself. Rooftops only promotes sniping, so if you aren't a sniper you are at a serious disadvantage as you have to travel across numerous distances to get close enough to kill anyone, and then you have to worry about not getting picked off by snipers.

Really, these maps get RTVed because they don't allow freedom of movement, and don't promote more than one or two styles of combat.

The Ugly
    The maps that seem to me to be the worst are maps like lazertag, amsterville and chaser. Lazertag and chaser share common things, first off they are minimalistic in scope and just aren't very interesting maps to look at, often times just being corridors. Chaser is increasingly bad for this reason as the map maker really only focused on map geometry and layout rather than actual artistic design. Lazertag is the same way, except the map maker tried to get a bit more stylized but failed outright, as people can't see anything in the map, and those who could see stuff were at an advantage. Amsterville is so big and so dark that often times delaying happens. it's really easy to get picked off on that map, as huge portions of the map don't even see any players go near them for the entire round. The parts where palyers gather are often times the well lit square of shops. This makes a traitors job really hard. All and all, these maps are the least popular, and often times very few people actually enjoy them. but they are not the biggest problem. I think the biggest problem are the huge stream of "meh" maps. Maps such as Island, Dust 2, Intergalactic and parkhouse. These maps are drab, share common ideas and all in all just aren't that great. They never get played because they lack ttt elements, and just aren't really that well done.

Hope this is what you are looking for carned! :)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ifavila

ifavila Active Member

I rtv the bad maps and play the good maps

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 2
  6. Togo ✿

Togo ✿ Nobody Gets it VIP Silver

Whitehouse, Roy the ship, Richland metropolis, bowling and alps are the only maps that are really good.

If you bring back alps I love you forever, no homo

Also please bring back slums and construction

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mellow

Mellow Taking it easy VIP

I like the mentioned maps because they offer in-depth gameplay while also being maps that you can look at nicely. I just wish people would play maps such as Rooftops, Lost Temple and Roy the Ship more often because I personally really like those maps and find them to be massively underplayed, but that's just me. I don't even dislike maps such as Laser Tag and Chaser, I think they offer a nice change of things every now and then.

I personally think the maplock should be longer, like you can't vote the last 10 maps or so, it'd add more variety imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. My fav three:
    Dolls - I love de_rats type maps.
    Clue - Lots of secret places and easter eggs. The background music is great. Also great fucking movie.
    Train - It's like Murder on the Orient Express.

Concerning the others you mentioned:
    67th - Way overplayed like crazy. Honestly I'm bored of it completely.
    Motel - A good map with plenty of opportunities for all sides to have fun on.
    Assault - Picked for that one special sniper spot on it.

Honestly, I only !rtv on Lazertag, I hate the map with a passion. It's like someone was using the hammer editor for the first time, turned the lighting to near zero and added a blue hue.

9. Daddy Nexxus

Daddy Nexxus Toxi-Fessional VIP

Most people just vote for whatever the first VIP+ or above votes for (4 instant votes). Most people are just mindless followers who have no desire to make decisions on their own. This is why we play the same 4-6 maps over and over. I very often will throw my 4 on Nipperhouse, Rooftops, Terrortrain, Intergalactic, and a few more I can't think of off the top of my head and players will vote for them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. twitch.tv/echostorm2k ⚔️

twitch.tv/echostorm2k ⚔️ screwdriver Banned VIP Silver

My faves are:
    Assault. It has a good layout, parkor part, hiding spots and sniping spots.
    Motel. I really dont know why, something about this map attracts me to it. Guess it's the fact that the t room has many exits and they can come at you from anywhere.
    Roy The Ship. Again, lots of sniper spots. The small boat that circles round is a great jihad spot, and it has close quarters too.

Overplayed maps:
    57th way. The only thing I like doing here is jumping on top of the cars, maybe sniping if T.
    Clue. Just why is it a map. Enclosed map, C4 spam, bad map in general.
    Dolls. I almost always die of fall damage.

Hope this helps slightly

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2
  11. Salisian

Salisian An unbroken series of successful gestures VIP

I keep swearing up and down that one of these days I'm going to start compiling statistics on inno/T victories for each map, to see which are the worst balanced. I'm convinced that the hive mind is somehow aware of this, and RTVs/votes to compensate.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bogdanoff

Bogdanoff VIP

bcz ppl are baddies and they need to vote off the maps they don't know how to play

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  13. Scotty

Scotty Heroes come and go, but legends are forever. VIP Bronze

I believe its because its what they have seen on youtube or what they are used too.
    They have such a use to those maps that when they see them they immediately vote for them.
    Another reason I believe its the same map rotation is because they want an easy innocent win, rather than a difficult one.

14. S.Bradley

S.Bradley VIP Iron

I belive people chose those maps because They know the Lay out And They are simply used to them. Aswell to the Fact they Know they can get easy Wins= points

15. Solar

Solar El Dorado VIP

I think @Pacifist has stated it quite well. Dolls, 67th Way and Assault provides multiple approaches on how to win both as an Innocent and as a Traitor. For InnoMotel, the Sniper approach is changed into the C4 approach. Also these maps usually don't delay normally.

Vanilla:
    Dolls, Motel, City, Skycraft, Seriouscraft, B5
    67th Way, Mineshaft
    Nether, Craftroom, Tiptsky, Village

The green ones are all medium-sized, multi-faceted, not visually horrendous and provide easy movements.

Orange ones are good but not the best ones for me. 67th is good for regulars but not for Vanilla as it is a HUGE map, and newer ones might delay for not knowing the maps layout or where the t room goes (welcome back to the barn house…). For mineshaft, it is a very close quarter oriented map, and everyone just gets lost in the nether.

Nether and Craftroom just hurts my eyes, and for the former, movement-friendly either. Tiptsky is annoying due to the fact that it's crouch jump city.

Modded:
    Dolls, Motel, 67th Way, Assault, Bowling, Pool, TeenRoom, TerrorTrain, Safehouse('s Rising Popularity)
    The rest

Again, multiple methods of winning for the green ones. TerrorTrain is there because a lot of action = fun for most people.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Deepsea1508

Deepsea1508 Hyuman VIP Emerald

i usually choose the maps that are on the top left

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Emily❤

Emily❤ The strongest light is the one within VIP Silver Emerald

For me the most popular maps doesn't have as much delay, I got no problem with the maps that is the most popular and that they aren't too similar to each other. I like Rooftop, but I guess rooftop isn't as popular since some prop surf to the top of the two towers and just snipe with a sniper or even worse if it's a silent gun. That and it's a open map so it's not that easy to kill people without being seen.

18. Jässa

Jässa Thick thighs save lives VIP

The most important part for me is flow of movement and how easy it is to reach different places from each section of the map. If im innocent im only having fun playing actual TTT if I get to solve things, go where shootings are, tracing people or having DNA, doing this on maps like dolls/innomotel is super easy compared to like lost temple where even if I have DNA, finding the person with DNA takes most of the round because the map is awful to navigate in. On rotation maps like 67th, dolls, community pool its easy to identify things based on hearing which likewise makes investigating feel easier/better. You can tell where C4 is placed exactly, tell where shooting is happening, where Harpoon was thrown etc.

For almost in rotation map example Whitehouse has plenty of places for me to put C4 or snipe if im creative enough but most of the map is oneway roads and some of them being tight hallways make the map awful to move around in so I dont really vote it. If it had another way to get down(and up) like an elevator and the hallways would be bigger, I would enjoy playing it much much more.
    Maps I RTV are too clustered or too big maps where being innocent just isn't fun because I get mowed down before doing anything meaningful(Terrortrain, Lost temple, Amsterville, Rivercliff).

Tbh I would vote Concrete, Island, Storehouse, Forest a lot more but it feels like people just bandwagon on the 1st voter so it feels useless.

Imo the maps people hate universally seem to be the ones where moving is complete trash(de_rats, craftroom, tipsky, rooftops) rather than style of play. De_rats for example has a lot of variety when it comes to weapons that are useable and its not like the map is bland when it comes to colors but trying to find a good/fast path from one place to another in the map is almost impossible.

19. Santa Claus

Santa Claus Best Member VIP Bronze

I RTV small maps when we have a lot of people, big maps with low amount of people.

I RTV when the traitors delay. I would never RTV alps if it came back <3

20. andrewca79

andrewca79 Malteser Forever VIP Silver

My favourite maps are innocent motel, 67th way and community bowling. This is because they have fun traitor rooms/traps and community bowling and 67th way have secrets such as the secret knife. I feel this is why so many people like the same few maps and dislike so many others that do not have these features.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017