Dev Map > WiP > ttt_banana_wip

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by BanananaHead, Apr 6, 2018.

1. BanananaHead

BanananaHead Member

UPDATE: (4/7/2018)
    I (think I) have completed what the layout of the map is going to be. I have no plans on making any major changes unless there is a glaring issue.

There is a new version available in the download link below.
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/80du3iao5c82twh/ttt_banana_wip_2.bsp

Salutations! I decided to start making a map since I've been enjoying being on the server and I hope to possibly contribute to the content on the server!

Please note that this is a Work in Progress, which means that pretty much every aspect of this map is subject to change.

Currently, there are only 15 spawns and I only have the general layout set up. It is in no shape to be actually played on as a TTT map, however I am looking to get some input regarding the layout. It has been a couple years since I made a map for any game, so I am a bit rusty and could really use the feedback!
    You can walk through the 'doors' in the basement.

Feel free to make general suggestions such as what you like in TTT maps, what you dislike, and so on and so forth.

Things to do: (Green = done)
    • Decide on what textures to use in the basement
    • Add Traitor Room(s)
    • Add more detail to the map
    • Create weapon spawns
    • Put a roof on the building
    • Generate up to 40 spawn locations
    • Get the Traitor Tester working in the basement (will only become active after X amount of time after the round starts, probably anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes.)
    • Figure out what I'm going to do in regards to the outside of the map and/or how to make the map actually seem like it's enclosed.
    • Add lighting
    So yeah... here's a Mediafire link to my map:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/bs1ir06u04x2843/ttt_banana_wip.bsp

(If you'd like a different download service added, just post in this thread or PM me)

If you don't know how to manually install a map for GMod (or any source game for that matter), then navigate to your GMod folder.
    This can easily be achieved by going to your Steam Library, right clicking on Garry's Mod, and then selecting properties. Then you go to the 'LOCAL FILES' tab and select the 'BROWSE LOCAL FILES...' option.
    You should see folders labeled 'bin', 'platform', and 'garrysmod'. Open the garrysmod folder. Then open the 'maps' folder. Finally, paste/extract the map into the maps folder.

To access the map within GMod:
    Option 1: Select 'Start New Game', select the 'Trouble in Terrorist Town' option on the left side, click on the map you just installed, then hit "Start Game", this can be in sandbox mode as I only have the layout so far.
    Option 2: Hit 'Options', open console (~), type 'map ttt_banana_wip', hit enter, voila.

Sorry about the lengthy post!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Scotty

Scotty Heroes come and go, but legends are forever. VIP Bronze

Heyo, so I gave the map a quick look and what I like so far.

The map has multiple layers with what I hope is just a little bit of a grassy area. The fact that the basement is a completely different area from the rest of the map making things just a bit more interesting rather than finding something on the same area as before and camping it out etc.

As far as things I would like to see and to go off your things,
    • Decide on what textures to use in the basement - I have no idea here as I am not a map creator so I would say go with what you think would be best here.
    • Add Traitor Room(s) - I would enjoy maybe a T room in the basement and maybe even one in the main area but make a third level and have it accessible like normal but have the T room from the basement be accessible from there.
    • Add more detail to the map - Like I said an accessible 3rd floor on the main area would be a nice touch maybe making the bigger rooms even smaller with just a bit more walls rather than such a large room for Ts to actually have more of a stealth for when they kill.
    • Create weapon spawns - It will definitely need a couple of these if you want this to be a TTT map, something I would suggest is making sure your map once at your liking to see if it can withstand the MK9 weapons pack.
    • Put a roof on the building - After the 3rd floor addition I would curious to see this being put in.
    • Generate up to 40 spawn locations - For our server it would need this many. Maybe around 15 to 20 in the main area inside, 5 to 10 on the outside if thats a feature and then the rest in the basement.
    • Get the Traitor Tester working in the basement (will only become active after X amount of time after the round starts, probably anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes.) - I do like the idea of a delayed Tester.
    • Figure out what I'm going to do in regards to the outside of the map and/or how to make the map actually seem like it's enclosed. - I would say have an open area outside to give it another dynamic to the map.
    • Add lighting - Most definitely.
    If you want me to elaborate on anything/want to clarify what I mean just let me know and I will get back to you as fast as I can.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Xerp

Xerp VIP

I'm good with textures so feel free to ask me anything

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Confusing Confusing x 1
  4. BanananaHead

BanananaHead Member

Thanks! I really appreciate your feedback!

I was worried that I risked making the map too big by adding an additional floor, I suppose I was worried over nothing. However, instead of adding a third floor; I had originally planned to add a sewer system accessible below the basement, which would also lead directly to the ground level (the ground level access would be near the central and small concrete structure, possibly within it)
    The sewers would be a lot of small and narrow corridors (probably just enough space for 2 people to pass by each other) with some bigger areas within it. If I were to add the sewers, I'd definitely give the Traitors the possibility to travel directly between the sewers to the second floor via a teleport of some sort.

[I had this thought last minute after I wrote everything else, but I might not make a teleport for Traitors in the sewers. Hopefully Traitors would feel encouraged to buy a Teleporter using their Credits, giving them more flexibility as to where they teleport to.]

Regarding making the rooms smaller, I'm not sure what to really do. I plan on having most of the weapon spawns within the rooms, therefore giving Innocents a reason to into them in the first place. I was even considering making one of the rooms a "clinic" of sorts where it would very slowly regenerate health (probably like 1 HP every 3 seconds), and probably have a Traitor trap that damages or kills everyone in the room. Additionally, if I were to add the sewers, it would give plenty of small spaces for Traitors to work within, they could have an escape route via a Traitor Button that has a moderate cooldown (I'd say 30 or 45 seconds) that would teleport them to the parking garage that I mention in the last paragraph. Though I'd have to give Innocents a reason to be in the sewers, one possibility is to have the previously mentioned "clinic" within the sewers.

As for the roof, I currently just plan on making it purely decorative, so not allowing players to be on top of it.

In regards to the open area outside, do you mean something like a flat courtyard with some props or...?
    I currently added a sort of "underground parking garage" outside of the main area, so it is separate. However, I will probably create a passageway accessible only to Traitors so that way they can go between the garage and the basement.

EDIT:
    So, I just finished what (I think) the layout of the sewers is going to be... though I think it might be a bit too complex and may need some pruning in order to make it... playable.
    [​IMG]
    Solid Green Square = Approx size of a player
    Solid Red Square = Access ladder
    (The bottom right ladder will lead to the basement while the top left ladder will lead to ground level)

EDIT#2:
    The sewer layout has been decided

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  5. BanananaHead

BanananaHead Member

Just an update since I seem to have forgotten where the edit button is...
    • Basement
    • Add Traitor Room(s)
    • Add more detail to the map
    • Create weapon spawns
    • Put a roof on the building
    • Generate up to 40 spawn locations
    • Basement Traitor Tester
    • Outside Stuff
    • Add props as lighting sources
    • Add lighting
    • Place props (decorative and player possessable)
    • NoDraw the geometry that can't be seen from within the map
    • Add two more balconies (decided this since it seemed odd to have only one balcony...)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. BanananaHead

BanananaHead Member

Another update and apparently the "Edit" button disappears 72 hours after a post has been made...
    • Create weapon spawns (There are definitely enough weapons for 40 people)
    • Generate up to 40 player spawn locations (I ended up placing over 50)
    • Add small structures outside (looks a bit barren as is)
    • Basement Traitor Tester
    • Place props and decals (I've placed enough to my liking...)
    I know it's been a little while since I last posted a .bsp of the map... but here's how it is in its current state:
    Mediafire Download Link (wip_3)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  7. BanananaHead

BanananaHead Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. BanananaHead

BanananaHead Member

Alright, I've made some changes / fixes.

Fixed >>>
    -The T-Room window which looks into the Tester Room is now solid, meaning that the T-Button now has an actual purpose.
    -The Door in the mesh will now kill players (at a rate of 15 damage per frame) attempting to block it from opening or closing.

Added >>>
    -3D Skybox with pretty hills and trees
    -Water in the sewers (so now jumping from the basement into the sewers will no longer deal damage)
    -There is now a light on the Tester Switch to indicate if someone is in the Tester or not.

Changed >>>
    -Hallway leading to the basement from the groundfloor no longer looks like a cheap sci-fi gateway.
    -The grass outside so that it now uses the GMod Construct grass (I like the way it looks)
    -Lightmaps of the outside floors as well as the outside and sewer walls have been increased so that the shadows don't look like absolute garbage.
    -The very tops of the roof have been nodrawn since living players can't see that spot anyway

Big thanks to @Destiny Blade for his feedback!

• Like Like x 1
  9. BanananaHead

BanananaHead Member

UPDATE
    Just uploaded what is likely the last version of the map before I publish it to the the Workshop
    Mediafire Download Link
    Edit: Unscrewed it

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 1