Dev Map Project (ttt_tallhallz)

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Doomblade3890, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Doomblade3890

Doomblade3890 Supporter

OK I've been doing a bit of work with Hammer in the past few months and have gained some experience with the tool. While I've made about several maps (which I never got around to finishing/publishing before my old computer broke down with the only copies of them on it), I've been working with TTT maps a bit recently. Right now I'm working on one I call ttt_tallhallz which still needs work on it, but as the final design is coming together I thought I'd post a few screenies and get some opinions on how it looks so far.

First image shows the general spawn room. It has several hallways branching out into the different parts of the map and contains about 20 spawn points (five in each corner), as well as the ladder leading up to the second floor.
    [​IMG]

Here is the traitor tester, which is in a large outside area. Behind the stone wall there is a Strider NPC which is part of a t-trap that will cost one credit to use. When activated, the wall will disappear and the Strider will begin shooting everyone in the area (also making it a suicide move to try to get people tested).
    [​IMG]

Interior shot of the T-room
    [​IMG]

One of the hallways branching from the main spawn area. The yellow/red door is a func_wall_toggle that serves as a T-trap at the cost of one credit. Behind it are two poison zombies with three poison-headcrabs nested on them.
    [​IMG]

Below is the first room entered on the second floor. The second floor consists of the room shown, a bathroom with three stalls, a dark storage room, the armory, and a hidden chamber behind a breakable wall.
    [​IMG]

This is the entrance to the Detective Armory. Just in case there are those who think that there are too few guns on the map (I haven't gotten around to adding those in yet), I've created this room. I based it off of the bank vault from ttt_bank_b3. There will be a red button just outside of the door. If a non-detective (inno/traitor) uses it, a buzzing sound will be made and the door stays shut. If a detective uses it, the door will open (it does not close) and will make the armory accessible.
    [​IMG]

This last screenshot shows the interior of the armory. I thought I'd try to make the map a bit balanced by giving Detectives a button that could be pressed at the computer (re-usable after five minutes) that would grant them one credit, however upon testing it didn't seem to work. If the credit adjuster entity works only for traitors, please let me know. If that is the case, I think I'll remake it so that it gives the D's a free health station item (one time use).
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  2. shadowdragoon66

shadowdragoon66 hic sunt draconis VIP

Is that program easy to use? I always thought it would be kind of fun to make a map, but I wasn't sure if it would be something I could easily do, and that program looks like it is relatively easy to use once you get the hang of it.

3. Doomblade3890

Doomblade3890 Supporter

Once you understand the mechanics it's fairly simple. You should start out with something very simple though, like a gun-game map for CSS.

4. shadowdragoon66

shadowdragoon66 hic sunt draconis VIP

I thought about starting off slow with it. Maybe make a single room to practice making sure the walls and stuff are done right. Once the walls are done right and I have the hang of making them, I will start to add props and map features and go from there.

5. Rice

Rice stay golden. VIP

Exciting :D. It's cool seeing maps being built from scratch like this hehe.