Manga/Anime recommendations

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Waka-san, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Waka-san

Waka-san VIP

So I know, there is many otakus/weebs and just peoples who loves anime/manga/vn novels/light novels here. I am one of them for a long time. I love Japan, Japan culture and everything that connected to it.

So if you want to watch/read something good but don't know what. Or if you want to find some specific manga/anime genre, heroes types, etc., just ask me! (Or anyone else who want's to recommend something).

I'll be glad to help you find something that you will enjoy reading/watching. :3

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Yatty ☄️

Yatty ☄️ Yatt'em VIP Silver

Thought we already had a thread for this.. anyway if you haven't seen Ixion Saga DT go watch it.

3. Waka-san

Waka-san VIP

Well, as I know, we have thread about favorite anime/manga. Not recommendations.

4. john redcorn

john redcorn strangers like me VIP Emerald

Super Duper Sumos is probably the best anime I've seen in a week, it has everything from ass jokes to the finest ass jiggling animations affordable.

• Dumb Dumb x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. You should take those into consideration as they are rated highly as good animes
    Watch boku no pico

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. john redcorn

john redcorn strangers like me VIP Emerald

You don't watch boku no pico, you experience it.

(sarcasm aside, I recommend against it.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Infinitely Finite

Infinitely Finite The future is always blank. VIP

Watch Sprited Away, and Sword of the Stranger

8. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Robokiller87

Under my Favorite Anime tab, I will reluctantly recommend anything within there. Reluctantly because as you should know not everyone will like the shit I like so depends on your preferences.

Also anything in my anime list that's completed and scored a 7 is a decent show.

9. Communion (1989) Putlockers HD Stream Eng Sub

Communion (1989) Putlockers HD Stream Eng Sub i'm thinking i'm thinking VIP

Clannad + Clannad AfterStory has always looked bad to me. I want to watch it because it's rated good, but the animation style looks awful in my opinion. I like a good cry but I also like characters to have a sense of reality. Should I watch it?

10. CorallocinB

Ok, so here's the thing about Clannad. Firstly, the two shows are completely different in genre from one another so you'll be jumping about a bit. First season is a harem turned romance comedy school SoL, then it becomes a pure drama in 2nd season. So if you're not into any of that, be hesitant. Next, the animation style of Clannad is much better than its predecessors i.e. Air & Kanon (especially Kanon '02) but not what many people are used to. You should just watch it and subtly ignore the character animation style as the story and character connections are more important. The character design and the other thing about Clannad (which I can't say) are the least real things you'll experience in the show. The rest of it can be relatable to an extent.

If you can make connections to the character's situations or personalities, it will I say 70% chance open the waterworks during Clannad AS.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  11. Rek

Rek Ø

I liked parasyte

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Infinitely Finite

Recommendations

Short-ish:

Tokyo Ghoul, Attack on Titan, Parasyte, Berserk, Fullmetal Alchemist, Clannad, Samurai Champloo, Akame Ga Kill, Noragami, Blue Exorcist, Death Note

Long anime:
    Naruto, Beach, InuYasha, Dragonball, Rurouni Kenshin, Hunter x Hunter, Ginatama, One Piece (the longest)

13. Communion (1989) Putlockers HD Stream Eng Sub

Communion (1989) Putlockers HD Stream Eng Sub i'm thinking i'm thinking VIP

Okay, here's my recommendations:

2: Hunter x Hunter (2011)
    Fighting, Shonen (but also pretty goddamn adult and scary). Took me a long time to watch it because it looked dumb and childish (main characters are like 12), turned out to be one of my top favorites and I would recommend it to pretty much anyone, as it has tons of different elements for every kind of viewer, and isn't just dumb fighting (actually pretty smart). Got my girlfriend to even finish all the episodes and love it, and she hates pretty much everything. 10/10
    3: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
    Fighting, Seinen, Comedy, Horror. Starts out with Jonathan Joestar, dude fights some vampires, shit happens, people die, drama. After the first season it turns into a generational saga, the next season being Jonathan's grandson, and the next being his grandson's grandson, and kind of just keeps going with a new Joestar every season (newest season coming out in April). Manga is one of the most popular manga's in Japan, heavily impacting pop culture. Araki Hirohiko (the guy who did the manga) super cool dude, great artist, interesting guy. Very popular, and just recently got the anime out whereas before it was just a couple shitty OVA's from the 80's or 90's. 9.5/10 (will be 10/10 once the arc in april is animated, it's my favorite one - read the manga)
    4: Welcome to the NHK
    Great show, especially if you have issues with depression/social anxiety. Dark comedy about a depressed, unemployed, college dropout who never leaves his apartment. 10/10
    5: Steins;Gate
    Time travel comedy/thriller. Eccentric scientist accidentally invents a time travel device that allows him to send text messages back in time, thus altering time itself. Starts off funny, gets kind of dark/sad/serious. 10/10
    6: Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni
    Kind of similar to Steins;Gate, in a way. Guy moves to a small rural village in the countryside, hangs out with these chicks from his school. Mystery involving some deaths in the past of the village, people start going crazy, people die. Pretty confusing at first, but it all ends up making sense in the end. Horror, Mystery. 9/10
    7: Gintama
    Shonen (? Should be seinen). Comedy, Action, fighting, samurai. Edo period, Japan. Samurai everywhere. One day aliens invade, take over everything, control the government, ban all swords, and introduce advanced technology to Japan. All the Samurai are now basically a dying breed, common thieves, police, homeless, and in the main character's case, running an "Odd Jobs" business, where they'll pretty much do anything for money. Surprisingly with a premise like that, there's a ton of actual Japanese history in the show, the characters are even modeled after real people from history. It's pretty much 90% comedy, but every now and then will juxtapose the fuck out of that idea and drop into a long serious arc that will mess you up, bruh. Shit's weird. No idea how it works as a show, but somehow it does, and it works incredibly. Aspects of popular science fiction pop culture are everywhere, with Star Wars references left and right. Show also parodies pretty much everything, to an extent that they keep getting lawsuits. It's been cancelled about 4 times now, I believe, but it keeps being brought back because everyone loves it so damn much. Over 300 episodes in now, and the story line is finally progressing (fast). Something that they've been hinting and teasing at for a long time, to the point where no one thought it would actually happen. Even though characters are dying, they still have time to make dick jokes, and it works (somehow). Great show, 9.5/10 (it's kind of long and some of the episodes aren't that amazing, but it's mostly good)
    8: Monster
    Murder mystery, Seinen. Doctor saves the life of a kid, kid is a fucking psychopath and goes on to do bad shit. Doctor tracks him down to fuck him up. Big mysteries and adventures, dark, scary, suspenseful.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1: Neon Genesis Evangelion (+End of Evangelion)
    I list this as #1, as it's not only my favorite anime, but my favorite anything. Like many others I hold this to a great degree of respect, and I can't even compare it to anything else. For a show about kids piloting giant robots to fight angels, it's somehow the most real thing I've ever seen, and let me make this clear that I detest Mecha genres. This show is absolutely not for everyone, and a lot of people completely hate it. The main character isn't some brave, perfect dude like in most shonen, he's more the kind of guy to spend 90% of the time crying, and jack off over a comatose girl. He's defective, but he's realistic. They're all realistic. The show is filled with more philosophy, symbolism, and self-hatred than it is giant robot fighting, and that's why so many people going into it wanting something more like Gurren Lagaan, would obviously leave absolutely hating the show, but if you hate yourself and want something that very personally relates to that pain, this may be your favorite anime. It's a weird goddamn show, made by a man who was on the verge of killing himself the entire time he was making it.

When the show ends, the creator receives a large amount of hatred and death threats from the same sort of people I mentioned before (people who wanted more action and fan-service), as well as people who just generally wanted more closure with the show, and to find out what the hell had happened. That's where End of Evangelion comes in. Hideaki Anno (the creator of Evangelion) decides to end Eva in what can best be described as watching your family be raped and murdered in front of you. All the confusing shit comes back 1,000x stronger. The portion of action that is there is 1,000x better, and you're left 1,000x more depressed and confused than the original ending of the show left you. Although it was most likely made with a deep-seeded hatred for the fans of Evangelion, it's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in any form of media, I've re-watched it many times and it still fucks me up. Similar to spending a few hours taking heavy doses of dissociatives.

Reboots are complete shit, don't watch them. Unless you're one of the people that hated the original series, then you'll probably love them as it essentially caters to you.

14. Shattered

Shattered pinnacle of mediocrity VIP

You mean Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood right, cause we all know Brotherhood is the better version. Just want to make sure it's clear.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Infinitely Finite

Well both versions have their own ups and downs, but yes Brotherhood is better in my opinion aswell

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Zypther

Zypther #SuitUp VIP Bronze Iron

Any body heard of RWBY my friend tells me I should watch it but idk, he can be a bit weird some times... Yeah I need some new friends. And ideas?

17. CorallocinB

You definitely need new friends if you're asking in an anime rec thread if RWBY is a good show to watch . It's a made in America cartoon that doesn't have an anime but does have a manga.

That said, haven't seen it so can't say.

18. Gonz

Gonz Chill... VIP

It's not really considered an anime because it uses CGI and was made in America. If you like action, comedy, and melee weapons that turn into guns, you'll probably like it.

19. Gonz

Gonz Chill... VIP

20. Waka-san

Waka-san VIP

You should try it. It looks like anime, but mostly it's CGI.