Rejected Make sure Developers are clearly stated as 'moderating staff' in the rules

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Juice Juice™, Jan 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juice Juice™

Juice Juice™ VIP Emerald Bronze

If they are going to have the same enforcement privileges, it only makes sense for people to know about them. Nothing about the title 'Developer' gives sense they are, in fact, official representatives of the community, just that they create content for us. As they are forum-exclusive staff, something that, as far as I was aware of until now, was not allowed, it would be a prudent clarification for both new members and current members alike.

Edit: Developer does not moderate server. Developer does moderate forums.
    Therefor, All Staff ≠ The Same moderation duties.

Just because you know something, doesn't mean everyone else does. Just because you think a certain way, doesn't mean anyone else does. Everyone reading this probably read the thread that sponsored this as well, so they already know for fact it's this way.

But think about a new player who came from the servers, and maybe encountered a developer in-game. This developer told them they do not have moderation powers, and didn't clarify this only applied in game. Or, they are a veteran player who wasn't on in a while and missed this thread and the other one. As situational as this is, I was online when a developer said just that when people where questioning why they didn't do anything about a pair of mass RDMrs.

Subsequently, they get warned for something that they didn't feel warranted a warning, by a developer, and because they didn't think that a developer was a representative of SGM rules, dismissed the warning, ending with a ban or warning point.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    • Dumb Dumb x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Confusing Confusing x 1
  2. john redcorn

john redcorn strangers like me VIP Emerald

They are listed in staff groups, which is usually an indication they are treated as staff.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Juice Juice™

Are you saying there would be no confusion when it comes to rule enforcement?

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

:facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Giraffe

Giraffe We take the small victories VIP Silver Emerald

Can you just make an edit in the New User's Guide to include devs so these people can stop whining?

As if they don't already show up in staff online or in staff groups as is. LOL

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Rozboon

Rozboon Forgive and Forget, or just forget. VIP

I mean... them being developers for a server/forum kinda shows you right away they hold some type of power, just as in video games where a developer decides to log in, they can do whatever they want to you and the game, if anything having that tag should show them as having more power.

These post are just getting ridiculous, almost like you require your parents to hold your hand to go to the bathroom and to show you were you piss.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  7. Juice Juice™

It's almost like SGM is different than other servers, and devs don't hold the same powers as staff in game, but they do on the forums! I guess it's just to much to ask for a single line of text to make sure people understand an exceptional circumstance

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  8. Juice Juice™

I've been on here for two years and I didn't know until today that developers had the ability to enforce rules. I really doubt I am the only one, when I have seen the staff talk about how there are no forum-exclusive staff, in no uncertain terms.

• Dumb Dumb x 3
  9. CorallocinB

Hence y other thread was made (kinda) and helix made it official so yea game over the machines win

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Rozboon

Here's one question that can serve you into the future that you should ask yourself "Are these people who have ranks that are different than other people, staff?" if this is a yes, then show them respect that you show any staff, if this is a no then show them respect any other player deserves.

really, this shouldnt even be a question as its plainly obvious that staff is staff and shouldnt be treated any differently especially depending on their level of powers

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Juice Juice™

I'm asking for clarification in the rules that they have enforcement powers. I'm not sure what respect has to do with it. I treat people with respect based on their personality, with differentiation to people that have power over me.
    If a member with no power says "Stop doing this", and I don't think I'm breaking the rules, I'm not going to comply. If a member who is an official representative "Stop doing this", I'm going to stop doing that, even if I don't agree, because they are the law.

Yes, this is why I am asking for the clarification. Because it's not absolutely apparent, call me as dumb as you want, and there are other people that will not realize as well.

• Dumb Dumb x 2
  12. CorallocinB

he said it clear as day in that thread u just want it posted somewhere which ngl could’ve been done in a pm bc this thread following a locked thread about the subject looks bad

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Juice Juice™

After the thread is buried, very few people are going to see it. Moving forward, if people are to know that developers are capable of enforcing the rules on the forums, they will have to figure it out for themselves, which could cause issues.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. Rozboon

[​IMG] See this? this is all the notification you need, if these people tell you to STFU, you STFU. (don't really know how to make it any more clear to you)

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Juice Juice™

Because every staff member of every group always has the same set of duties

• Dumb Dumb x 4
  16. Rozboon

As a basic player on this server, the staff is staff to you, if an admin tells you to stfu, you stfu, if a mod tells you to stfu, you stfu, and if a dev tells you to stfu, you also stfu. their "Duties" change nothing.

At this point I don't know if it's a thick skull or if you're trying to troll, but I'm done with this thread because I've made it as clear as possible that all ranks of the staff team are clearly presented on the front page, and that all those ranks that fall under "Staff" can enforce the rules.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  17. Juice Juice™

Just going to point out the gaping flaw that: Devs on the servers don't enforce the rules, but they are still staff. Devs on the forums do enforce the rules, and they are still staff. That difference is something many people would require clarification to understand.

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Opalium

Opalium Stay Awesome Banned VIP Silver

Anyone appearing in the staff list is considered a staff member, and therefore you should treat them as so. While devs are not actively enforcing our rules due to their role, they are still capable of doing so and are still a part of the enforcing team.

In other words: if they appear as staff, they're staff, and you must listen to them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Old Old x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.