Rejected Make Hacking a Permabannable Offense

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Python~, Sep 7, 2019.

?

How should we ban Hackers?

1. Perma on first offense

2. Global ban for 1 month, then Perma

3. Global ban for 2+ months, then Perma

4. Global ban 1 month, then 6-8 months, then Perma

5. No Perma unless 3+ offenses

6. Keep it the way it is

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The fact that there is any push back from Highwon about this is a pretty serious barometer about the issues this community is facing. Let alone its health.

If you or he wishes to ignore, (or take long enough it feels like it is being ignored), a fix to a major issue facing the community folks will find another place to play. You simply don't have enough players left to let that happen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  2. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

You have to consider as well that the more hackers come on a server, the less likely players will continue to play on that server.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  3. Robyn

Robyn Floof Moderator VIP Silver

Why make a suggestion subforum if You’re not going to listen to it?

At least respond why you won’t allow permabanning for hacking at the very least 4th or 5th offense.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. Cash

Cash I staff the proper way Banned VIP

the number won't change by permabanning them, there's more of a thrill to evading permas than there is a 4w ban

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  5. DocFox

DocFox The Best Is Yet To Come VIP Silver Emerald

They do perma for multiple hacking offenses.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Robyn

How many? Because while i was staff we didnt perma someone who had 20 offenses but they had 30 years of being banned

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DocFox

Lead discretion, but check the ban list and you'll see the last was banned a couple months ago for it.

8. I done alot of stupid stuff on the servers had many bans
    If it wasnt for good and solid yet reasonable punishment system i wouldnt have made it far.
    Judging on how i changed and started following rules and had the best time in the servers, i cannot accept the idea of perma bans for first offences.

Bless up

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Robyn

Btw my response telling someone to respond was for Highwon, not the leads. Its not the leads’ decision

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  10. Robyn

Only a few of us want perma 1st offense. I stand for 2nd or 3rd as do most others iirc.
    People can change but if they don’t after being banned for 4 weeks then I doubt they would ever change.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  11. DocFox

You may not think so, but the red and orange guys make decisions like this.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Robyn

Not according to Paci unfortunately for this one

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  13. Python~

Despite this suggestion having overwhelming positive feedback from the community, still no public comment from @Highwon.
    There is no denying that fact that banning hackers for longer, or permanently, would increase the quality of the servers as a whole. Not sure why he's so against this.

When I created this suggestion, I was firm on permabanning hackers on first offense. Since I created the thread, I have changed my opinion to better suit the needs of upper administration and the playerbase.
    Highwon is either not as flexible or doesn't care enough to come to an understanding, even though the vast majority (players and staff alike) agree that there needs to be some kind of change.

Sure you can argue it's "time-consuming" to perma hackers. It's even more time-consuming for your playerbase, having to file several reports on hackers on a daily basis. Which, in the long run, don't actually do anything.
    We're not in 2016 anymore. There is a steep increase in hackers as of late and the issue needs to be addressed in some way.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Python~

Since the beginning of August, there have been 45 hackers banned due to forum reports. This doesn't include hackers that were not reported, or hackers that got off with a Mass RDM ban due to "lack of evidence".
    This means that, on average, there are about 1.5 reports made every day against hackers that are found valid. We can assume that there are way more hackers than they are reported, so I'd say ~3 hackers on the servers on any given day, and even that is lenient

According to upper administration, making and handling 45 reports every month is easier than just permabanning the fuckers. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  15. yeah uh i met hacker and i said stop and he stopped and i was like wow pls share this story to everyone

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
  16. DocFox

That's not the data you need to collect. You need to collect data that reflects repeat offenses of hacking. That would show the necessity for the rule change.

The counter data would be the amount of banned hackers that went to create alt accounts, because I know that those instances spike, as well. Staff could see the same person hacking within a 30 minutes of gameplay and ban them on both accounts, but they would return.

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Python~

Most hackers are repeat offenders. That's why they're hackers. I see way more bans for 2nd to 7th offenses than I have for 1st.

and I'm not gonna do the math, because I don't have access to that information or data. Guess I'll just do the impossible :confused:

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Najm

Najm Feeling cute, might remove other eye later. VIP

I havent read all of the 9000 messages on this thread, but I think there are two main sides:
    1) Hacking is a planned and often intentionally harmful offense and should thus be punished a lot harder than other offenses. (-> Perma-Ban)
    2) Players using hacks might return after a specific period of time to the SGM community without hacks - just like everybody, their character can change and they deserve a second chance. (-> No Perma-Ban)

-> My suggestion:
    On their first offense, ban them permanently BUT give them the option to appeal on the forums after a specific period of time (1 month+) and generally accept their appeals, unless they are obviously not sorry. People that are only trying to troll won't take that required effort - people, that value our community and have changed will.
    If there are still 2nd offenders, increase the min-bantime significantly.

19. Panda With a Gun

Panda With a Gun CHINA NUMBA ONE Administrator VIP Emerald

This was my mod who got a perma

and my only other mod to make it to admin got a perma

my legacy lives on

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Python~

This is what I suggested. If not first offense, then I'd be down for 2nd. It's just too lenient at the moment, especially for repeat offenders.

• Old Old x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.