Make AFK avoidance against the rules

Discussion in 'Rules and Protocol' started by Noctorious, Jun 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juice Juice™

Juice Juice™ VIP Emerald Bronze

@Jabba the Slut
    Deterrence is an effective tool.
    The problem is significant and continuous round delays.
    When staff aren't on, which is frequent, the time spent waiting on an AFK player can equal to several rounds. It's like being slain only you didn't have any control over it.
    Even if the rule is never enforced, there will be a significant cut in the number of people using scripts to avoid f-spec, and that makes the rule justified.

Because: you still haven't given a single reason why this actually helps the server in any way. Your logic purely boils down to: Staff can handle it, and when they can't handle it (which is often), what can be done?- Which is fucking dumb.

Getting a little personal here, the way you make rules is Dumb, Jabba. It's never about if it benefits the server or not, it's always about convenience.
    Maybe there's something going on behind the scenes that I'm not aware of, but the logic behind every ruling that I have seen you make has always been about how convenient it is to further your goals. It's never about what's best for the server, and this is just the apotheosis of that:
    You don't want to make this a rule because enforcing it is inconvenient, despite it being a purely beneficial and benign rule for the server, and that sort of mentality is my number 1 pet peeve lmao. It's why I'm still typing when I should clearly have stopped.

I'm sure you're a great lead admin everywhere else, but the way you determine rules sucks. And it impacts everyone on the server.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  2. Noctorious

Noctorious Your Best Nightmare VIP Emerald

Just to clarify, this isn't a suggestion to make to a rule that you can't be afk. The suggestion is to make it a rule that you can't use simple scripts to cheat the afk system and remain afk but still in the game for a longer period of time than normal. Something like a progression of punishments like warning and admin note, 8h ban, 24h ban etc

3. Dodley27

Dodley27 Dolfin VIP Bronze

Doesnt this fall under scripting?

4. Cash

Cash I staff the proper way Banned VIP

it is not that difficult to rdm someone who is afk and spinning

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Jabba the Slut

Jabba the Slut That's Kinky! Lead Admin VIP Silver

@TomCat™ I honestly have no idea where people get this delusion that I change anything to fit my own agenda.

I ONLY ever change/implement rules after extensive discussion among all staff members and sometimes the community too.

Go ahead and show what exactly the hell you're talking about, because I have no idea. Feel free to start a new thread or DM to avoid derailing this thread.

You yourself have stated multiple times that our rules are fine and need no change.

I don't support a rule about this being implemented because it is redundant and unnecessary, not because it would be inconvenient.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Bonk2

Bonk2 Banned

I think I have come to agree with Jabba on this. Although it would be nice to give punishment to people unnecessarily AFKing, there is no efficient way to enforce such punishment without consuming Staffs' valuable time. It would come to a point where it seems more of a pain to staff rather than provide better performance to gameplay. I think if someone does become a major issue, I guess you can go ahead and make a forum report but that is pulling on some strings at that. This would not require any rule changes and will be looked at on a case to case basis.

7. Juice Juice™

Maybe it has to do with the fact that every time your name comes up in reference to the rules, it's you banning someone for doing something benign that virtually nobody agrees with, even on the staffing team. If everyone keeps telling you the same thing, they're not the delusion ones.

Unlike the previous issues that I've commented on pertaining to your actions, this is a tiny, insignificant change that has no negative consequences for anyone, even the people who use scripts to cheat the system. When I said the rules are fine and don't need changing, I'm talking about the sweeping changes that would overhaul how people play the game, like you were trying to implement. Not tiny tweaks that 90% of the server wouldn't even notice, but would improve literally everyone's experience.

This is purely a positive overwhelming what is purely a negative. Everyone wins. Nobody is left out. At worst, it's a redundant rule and people still script and nothing changes- There are no negative consequences. At best- Everyone stops scripting like this, and the server improves in some small way. At most likely- Most people stop scripting, sometimes the staff have to take an additional minute to give a benign warning, and the quality of the life increases in some small way. Again, there are no negative consequences.

Is it the most necessary thing? No. It's a tiny-ass issue. But to call it redundant shows that you fail on a conceptual level why rules exist. Making this a rule would improve the quality of life for everyone on the server. Not making this a rule maintains a negative on the server. Even if it's not enforced regularly, even if it's not enforced at all, the fact those statements are a fact should be all the reasoning you need to make this a rule.

You haven't even brought up how this would take up staff's time, because you fucking know how little time and effort it would take to enforce this.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  8. degolfer222

degolfer222 I finally changed my title VIP

Honestly i say +1 to this. Theres no benefit to AFK avoidance, since youll just get moved servers and farm points just as effectively, and delaying rounds is extremely annoying. It really doesnt seem like itd be all that hard for staff either. If they get on a server and see someone AFK scripting, kick them, and note it. If it becomes excessive, an admin can intervene and give a punishment at their discretion, probably a day ban or something small like that.

AFK scripting benefits no one, not even the person scripting, and its a huge nuisance on low pop servers, so I dont see why we should allow it.

9. Juice Juice™

Why?
    Think about how it would work for a second:
    1. Player sees AFK scripter, takes video, forum report. If scripter is a regular, great. They can be warned ASAP. If player is not a regular, who the fuck cares. It's not a big deal. If they're playing on the server enough for it to be a repeat issue, they'll be warned eventually.
    2. Staff sees AFK scripter. Staff kicks AFK scripter with a warning. Repeat offenses give a short ban.

None of that takes any time at all.

Fuck I need a job.

10. Jabba the Slut

You can literally already do this. Believe it or not, delaying is already in our rules.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  11. Juice Juice™

So why not clarify the rule to include anti-afk scripting? Cuz that is literally the only result of an anti-afk script.

Your entire argument against this is 'I don't wanna'

12. Cash

AFK is a form of delay, they aren't doing anything to finish the round

13. Juice Juice™

Yes. Which is why I'm so annoyed that Jabba is arguing pro-delaying right now.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  14. Cash

he is not pro-delaying, he is saying that it's already against the rules to delay

therefore anti-afk is still against the rules

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Adrian Shephard

Adrian Shephard VIP Silver

nah -1
    you can still kill them tho its not that hard to see that theyre afk and using +left +forward command lol
    kinda unnecessary

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Juice Juice™

17. Cash

No rules against being AFK specifically, but if it delays the round, they are breaking the rule of NO DELAYING not the non-existent rule of NO AFKING

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Jabba the Slut

Imagine being so completely wrong that you have to try and take me out of context to attempt to defend your claim.

You want a rule against delaying. We have one.

Therefore, clarifying it or adding another rule on top of it is redundant and unnecessary.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Juice Juice™

You are so full of shit lmao

What 'context' did I miss?
    You have actively been arguing that using an script to avoid F-spec is in-line with the rules.
    There was a question earlier where it was clarified that using a scrip to avoid F-spec was for or against the rules, and it was deemed that it was within the rules.
    This entire discussion thread has been arguing that scripting to avoid f-psec should be against the rules, and you arguing against me about, and now all of the sudden Cowcakes comes in and you're magically agreeing with me, just with different wording? Not once did you say anti f-spec was against the rules, you literally said the opposite.

Fuck off with that shit. Absolutely pathetic. You changed your argument.

• Dumb Dumb x 2
  20. degolfer222

degolfer222 I finally changed my title VIP

I disagree. He wants a rule specifically against AFK scripting, which is an altogether different form of delay than just hiding or running around. At most normal delaying will get you slain. And thats only after multiple warnings from staff. He wants something more specifically to dissuade people from AFK scripting, something which benefits literally no one and does some harm, even if it isnt a lot.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.