League of Legends 1v1 Community Tournament!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by aco taco, Oct 15, 2017.

?

Do you want players to be matched randomly instead of by ranked division?

Poll closed Oct 22, 2017.
  1. Yes

76.5%
  2. No

23.5%
  1. Han

Han       VIP

EU can participate, of course, but they'll have to use alt accounts on the NA servers.

2. Hingle

Hingle Slow Motion VIP Emerald

TheRealHingle - Gold V get at me @Han Solo

3. Graze

Graze Zzz... VIP Silver

Hey Robo! I'd like to take a moment to illustrate the difference between league's ranking system and overwatch's.

In both, it goes bronze, silver, gold, plat, diamond, master, and then in overwatch it's grandmaster and in league it's challenger.

At this point, challenger is also not even kinda similar to grandmaster. In league only 200 people get challenger. If you are rank 200 and someone under you passes you, you go back down to master. Grandmaster is uncapped so it's not fair to call them even.

From what I'm seeing, Diamond in Overwatch is roughly the top 10% of the total population of people playing Overwatch. Whereas Plat 5, the lowest Plat level, is in the top 9% of league players.

Going based off numbers. To be really good at league (Top 2%) you would fall at the lowest level of Diamond. To be in the top 20% of Overwatch players is being in diamond.

I hope that this makes the point that the two aren't exactly equal in terms of bronze = bronze, plat = plat, etc.

In the two references, you can see that League has a tier system where rank is left-skewed and the curve gets harder to climb as it goes up. In the Overwatch system, they keep skill to climb linear, which eventually ends up with more people in higher ranks than lower ones.

References: http://na.op.gg/statistics/tier/ (This website shows you exactly what percent of players are in what skill levels.)
    https://overwatchtracker.com/insights/skillrating?platform=pc (This website shows a graph of percent players by skill level.)

I hope that this makes the point that the two aren't exactly equal in terms of bronze = bronze, plat = plat, etc. Please be informed before you trashtalk another game you don't know anything about.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

never said i was equating overwatch and league's rankings

i made a let me google link to see what league's ranks are

strictly going based off of the list of ranks league has no one is in diamond here which is the 3rd highest rank behind master and challenger

if that's top 2% of players then ill shit talk why do you have 3 ranks for the top 2% of players that's

in any case im irked no one here is in the top 2% of players

so when i see plat V whatever that is i still stand by

[​IMG]

EDIT:

I cared to read a bit more about league's ranking system

"All leagues are tiered into five divisions (I, II, III, IV, V – with V being the lowest and I being the highest)"

So im doubly

[​IMG] [​IMG]

considering no one is in the top division of plat

and there's 5 more division in diamond which is even more horrendous

In any case if plat V is the top 10% of all league players and if I had to make my first and only comparison to overwatch who has our top 10% in diamond (~mid diamond) if diamond players in overwatch (skill, attitude, versatility, communcations, etc.) are anything like they are in league then I stand by everything I've said.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  5. Han

Han       VIP

Hey everyone, since a couple people have said that they would prefer a randomized tournament, we may do that instead. Please vote on the poll above for the method you would like to see.

6. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

*Withholds mean comment and instead suggests people be smart and randomize players*

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. Jässa

Jässa Thick thighs save lives VIP

SwiftWhiteNinjaM
    Gold something

8. Cafedemocha

Cafedemocha 2319 VIP

Haven't played in forever but fuck it

Café de mocha
    Unranked

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. aco taco

aco taco ghosts n' sharks VIP

Update: We will now also be having a loser's bracket thanks to @Hingle! He will be rewarding the winner of the loser's bracket with $20 of RP. Also, as the majority wants, the 1v1s will be matched randomly instead of by rank. Cheers!

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. godpharohbolas

godpharohbolas New Member

godpharohbolas
    gold 3

When is the tournament anyway?

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Gonco

Gonco white knight VIP

Gonco

like silver something

12. Han

Han       VIP

Hey everyone,

To get into more of the details of how you're going to be matched, it'll be through challonge. Keep in mind the names you see there are going to be shuffled before the tournament begins, so who you see there is not necessarily who you'll be matched against. On Monday, I'll post here and also tag everyone who they're playing against. Quoting from Aco's original post: "Once you get matched up against someone, you both have 3 days to play your 1v1 and send the recording to myself or Han Solo. If the match does not take place within the time frame, the player who is responsible for the match will be disqualified. ie: Player a is at fault, player a will be disqualified; if both parties are at fault, both will be disqualified."

If anyone is confused on why we're making recording mandatory, it's so spectators can still see fun matches and also to make sure no one breaks the rules, even though I hope the latter wouldn't happen anyway.
    Wow, I'm so happy a random user who joined today, hasn't associated, and has a similar name to another user is deciding to enter the tournament for the first thing they do on the servers. I'll enter you though :^)

Above paragraph addresses your question.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  13. Dean W.

Dean W. Half-Blood Cringe Kid VIP Silver

Snipe969 - Why not ?
    Silver

14. Graze

Graze Zzz... VIP Silver

If you watch our recordings and also participate, you'll see what dirty strat we're using to win the 1v1's and get the drop on us. smh

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  15. Falcor

Falcor ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ VIP Silver

Canugivemearimmi
    Challenger since season 1
    Got my elder wand.
    I will tell my opponent to get dicked on

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hyper ✿

Hyper ✿ peace lata VIP Bronze

I forfeit, she's too good

17. Giraffe

Giraffe We take the small victories VIP Silver Emerald

EzmoneyKappa123

Plat 4

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. aco taco

aco taco ghosts n' sharks VIP

We will now no longer be accepting entries for the tournament. I would like to give a big thank you to everyone that entered, making the whole thing able to come into fruition. Han will be posting the matchups shortly.

*Remember to have one of the two players (or a third party) record your game and send the recording to myself or Han Solo.

19. Han

Han       VIP

Hi again,

Here's the randomized, up-to-date challonge.

The official start date is tomorrow, but you can get a head start on knowing who you'll be matched against. You'll have three days, ending Thursday, to figure out a match time with your opponent and establish your dominance. I've also tagged everyone who has the first matches below - please add them on steam or in-game if you cannot contact them on the forums. If you need help with their summoner names / steam IDs, just ask.

@Pikaboo
    @Kerchoo
    @anime girl
    @godpharohbolas
    @MonsterHunter
    @Hyper
    @Jässa
    @Gonco
    @Hingle
    --Round II matches--
    @Voldemort
    @Giraffe
    @Super Halloween Graze
    @Headless Husky

• Like Like x 1
  20. Han

Han       VIP

Just for more information, the first few matches will be a best of one format. Matches 35, 36 37, 38, and 39 will be best of three. 40, 41, and 42 ( Losers bracket final, winners bracket final & grand final ) will be best of five. I think it would be fun if someone could stream those last two matches - I'm unfamiliar with streaming and don't think my PC could handle it at good quality anyway, but maybe someone has experience with that.

This thread will also be unlocked if you want to post the results of your matches here.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017