Karma Ban Stacking

Discussion in 'Rules and Protocol' started by Python~, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

Right now, karma bans are pretty pathetic for multiple reasons. It's only an hour long, only on one server out of 5, and even if you didn't RDM anyone, you still have to sit out of your preferred server for an hour.

I've come up with a few ideas that may help with these issues.

The first is stacking karma bans. If you are karma banned x number of times in x number of days, your ban is extended and/or globalized automatically for an x amount of time. This would prevent toxic gameplay from regulars, as well as weed out constant Mass RDMers, or a mix of the two. After the extended karma ban expires, or the appeal is accepted, getting another karma ban soon after will give you the same extended ban. The SOL on these bans should be a week for convenience.

• Let's say the number of karma bans needed for an extended ban (24 hours) is 3 per every 7 days.*
    • You are karma banned on Monday (Strike 1), Wednesday (Strike 2), and Saturday (Strike 3).
    • You are banned for a day and come back on Sunday.
    • You get karma banned again the following Tuesday. Since 7 days have passed since the first strike, this would also be Strike 3, so you are banned for another 24 hours. The extended bans do not stack.
    • You come back on Wednesday, but don't get karma banned until Sunday. Since you only had 1 karma ban within the past 7 days, this would act as Strike 2, and you would not be banned for an extended amount of time unless you are karma banned again up until Tuesday.
    Another example would be if you are karma banned 3 times in one day, you get an extended ban. Any karma bans in the next 6 days would also give you an extended ban.

*the amount of strikes needed for an extended ban, as well as the length of the extended ban and the SOL, are up for debate. The numbers are just to give you the gist

Hopefully this makes sense

As previously mentioned, these bans can be appealed, as opposed to other karma bans. The verdict is up to admin discretion. This means that even if you didn't RDM anyone or play toxicly, your appeal can still be denied (this is moreso for constant offenders), as all other hour-long karma bans.

Or we could make it so if you provide valid reasoning for your kills, that don't fall under toxic gameplay, your ban appeal will be accepted regardless.

I really don't see any issues with these ideas but will gladly take any constructive criticism. Ultimately, this is a staff decision, but I feel like this would be a win-win for staff and players

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  2. Saturnity

Saturnity SGMs Personal Planet VIP

I like this. The toxic people that go to a server, get karma banned, then go to another SGM server and RDM a bunch of people and get karma banned, maybe this stacking thing will help negate it.
    I mean, you don't just get karma banned 3 times in a week unless you are really trying.

3. nikki

nikki Dutch female gamer: cocky, rude/toxic. VIP Bronze

yeah fuck no, or make it MODDED ONLY, there are too many oblivious people who play on vanilla who have no IDEA about the rules and leave unids everywhere, you can easily catch a karma ban after a few hours of playing without being toxic.

'' As previously mentioned, these bans can be appealed, as opposed to other karma bans. The verdict is up to admin discretion. This means that even if you didn't RDM anyone or play toxicly, your appeal can still be denied (this is moreso for constant offenders), as all other hour-long karma bans. ''

a lot of (vanilla) regulars would have to record 24/7 then, because if you kill 2 noobs in round 1 and your karma drops to 800 you have to record/screenshot those first 2 legit kills JUST INCASE you end up killing more innocents later in the round.

dont add this shit

edit: also how am i supposed to prove my kills were not RDM if I don't have access to deathscenes, i can copy-paste console logs but that provides no real context other than damage done.
    don't even say '' just record '' because not everyone is able to and they shouldnt have to either

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. Python~

for starters, you don't have to kill everyone who passes unid, especially when you know they are new, and that your karma will probably take a hit. you are also allowed to leave the server at any time to avoid a karma ban, so long as you didn't rdm, and/or there are no mods on the server.

secondly, you don't have to record to explain why you killed people. just state your reasoning behind your kills. if you're reported on the forums for rdm, but you explain why you killed him, you won't get slain. you don't need to provide a recording. same applies to this suggestion.

and lastly, I wasn't going to say "just record", but for the record, everyone who plays gmod is able to. the game literally has a built-in recording software, so even if you're too lazy to download a free and easy-to-use screen recorder such as OBS, you can still record regardless.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. nikki

nikki Dutch female gamer: cocky, rude/toxic. VIP Bronze

it's not just walking past unids, it can range anywhere from RDM chains to being attacked by some noob because your carrying an AK.

so I can just claim all my victims passed unids, I can't prove he did anyway, that's just dumb, whats the point even.

the point is that you'd need to save and record almost as much as moderators and you really shouldn't have to as a regular player, but if you can just '' state your reasons '' and make some shit up then I guess you don't need to record at all.

admins already have the discretion to ban you for toxic gameplay if you have a shitload of karma bans(trust me i know) so let's just leave it up to them and not to some busted ass autoban system.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Python~

Obviously you can't just make shit up. There are still logs, and even deathscenes if the karma ban was recent enough.

Why doesn't everyone just make shit up when they're reported for RDM? Just say they passed a bunch of UnIDs. It doesn't work that way.

How bout don't get karma banned? As I've already stated, it's pretty easy to not get karma banned, even on vanilla, either by leaving the server for a few minutes until a new map begins, or by just...not killing people for dumb reasons in the first place, especially if you know that vanilla players are new.

Honestly I feel like you're against karma bans in general

7. Noccam :^)

Noccam :^) Regular Member

Ehh, I just dont really see a reason. If a player is mass rdming and was karma banned, they are probably also going to be banned for mass rdming. I feel like its very rare for a player to actually be karma banned, so I don't see why we would need stacking punishment. I feel like if a player actually gets karma banned, they aren't malicious, just not very bright.