Is this toxic for you? Why?

Discussion in 'TTT Discussion' started by iii, Oct 11, 2020.

?

In your opinion, is the situation in the report toxic?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    70.4%
  1. iii

iii eye-eye-eye or triple eye is fine VIP

I read the <Report against degolfer222> and this response by Ashes as to why the player was slain stood out to me:
    To me, this just seems so incredibly petty to call toxic, whoever threw the incendiary had already thrown it at the afk and at most what the player did by leaving and going back into the fire is double the thrower's karma loss(from ~60 to ~110), which at the end of the day whoever threw it decided to throw it at the afk and was slain for it.

More than that, there is no proof that the player even knew the incendiary was thrown by a innocent, because they were afk when it was thrown, they just left a fire that hurt most of their health and went back into it... where is the intent?

So yeah, I don't really understand that slay, don't see why Ashes calls it toxic, so I'm asking what you think of it, and specifically if you do consider it toxic too, then well, what makes it toxic to you?

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

I'd say that this is toxic, but a slay is probably uncalled for. Maybe a warning? Seems to me like the player ran into the fire for less than noble reasons, but the player's actions didn't ultimately lead to the other player being slain, as the other player had already done the damage in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. audrey

audrey batty VIP

i extremely disagree with the outcome of this report. the toxic gameplay aspect of deliberately throwing yourself into incendiary grenades is only a thing because we don't want players who only want to get others slain to cause trouble to jump into incends they could have easily avoided. having already taken the damage organically, teeku did nothing wrong by heading back into the fire. if anything, the thrower deserved to lose karma; they clearly intended to throw the incend at an afk player and kill them. karma exists to punish rdmers, and if it reduced that player's karma it would have done its job. accusing teeku of toxic gameplay and slaying them seems enormously petty and pedantic, because we're effectively punishing the player for being rdmed.

• Agree x 6
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. Dapper Cracker

Dapper Cracker Silver Supporter

I literally consider nothing toxic. that being said, something like this has happened to me and it is incredibly stupid, someone did a t act and they knew what they were doing and shouldn't be surprised when another person takes damage from it. This is like someone swinging their crowbar and another person accidentally walking into them and taking damage and then slaying the person who accidentally walked into him for "toxicity". This whole problem and other toxicity slays could be avoided when anyone on the staff team uses simple logic.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  5. roy

roy is MOST DEFINITELY a ship VIP Silver

Situation 1: Player is hit by fire, runs out, then back in — not toxic, they were RDMed to begin with, they just found life was not worth living and wanted to burn in hellfire after the misery of the RDM.

Situation 2: Player is not hit by fire initially but decides to run into it on the off chance it was thrown by an inno -- toxic.

(my opinion)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Lovisa

Lovisa His queen :3 VIP

I think that both of this is toxic. At low health after being damaged by an incen you can easily continue with the round. Yes you have a disadvantage but there is no need to run back into the incen to purposely die.
    Just report for the damage after, they will serve a slay for it.
    I don't think its punishing the player for being rdmed, in this case the person threw the incen was slain and lost karma, the 'victim' decided to make the incen and rdm instead of attempt rdm, toxic. If they had stayed afk then it would have just been blatant rdm.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  7. iii

iii eye-eye-eye or triple eye is fine VIP

Another point was that the victim didn't know the incendiary was thrown by an innocent though, wouldn't it have been perfectly non-toxic if the thrower had been a traitor? Wouldn't even have been rdm, so no possible slay on the thrower.

He just decided to give up on his round by going back into the incendiary... isn't intent the end-all be all for toxicity?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. TragicMagic

TragicMagic Active Member

Personally, I absolutely believe it is. I don't even see how there could be any ambiguity about that.

In this situation, Teeku just couldn't be fucking bothered to continue the round on low health. Walked back into a traitor's nade, an easy way to die quickly, after all he didn't have a kill bind.

Or at least, that was his intention. How could he have known the reality was different?

It's not really toxic to purposely die to a traitor if you're already going to suicide anyway. The only thing that really changes is the traitor gets a kill so really, it benefits everyone involved. So if the intent was to purposely die to a traitor, wtf is the problem with it? There was absolutely no way of knowing AT ALL that the incend was thrown by an innocent.

The person who threw the incend should be slain for RDM, Teeku shouldn't even be warned as it was not toxic gameplay.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. PwnageKO

PwnageKO "I'll be seeing you on the forums." VIP

Hopping a bit off the format @roy the ghost ship ship used.

Scenario A: A traitor throws an incin at an AFK and a random player walks in, leaves, and returns to be killed. The player did not know who threw the incin, but assumed it was from a traitor because it seems, to me at least, the most likely assumption that whomever would throw an incin at an AFK would be a traitor. Not an issue, the person who threw it was a traitor and it is not considered RDM. Whether the player just said fuck-it or didn't want to play the rest of the round doesn't matter really. A traitor killed the player and that is the end of it.

Scenario B: An innocent throws an incin at an AFK and a random player walks in leaves, and returns to be killed. The player still did not know who threw the incin and assumed it was from a traitor, but comes to find it was an innocent who threw the incin at the AFK when the report screen comes up. So to the player, the innocent had thrown an incin to attempt rdm of the AFK, and now you are dead too. So you report for RDM because well, an innocent killed you and that makes it RDM. Had the innocent been a traitor and you walked into the fire to die, it would have not been RDM.

Therefore, to me, I don't really think it should be considered toxic gameplay since it would have been perfectly fine if the traitor had been the one to throw the incin. I feel like the there has to in some way be intent for this to be considered toxic. I feel like I want to draw a flowchart in MS Paint, but I really don't care enough to.

I could also be wrong about some of the more detailed parts of the server's rules when it comes to the extended rules because I am not a nerd and haven't read them.

Edit: After posting this, @iii and @TragicMagic summarized it a lot better IMO.

10. Orion

Orion He is Exalted Administrator VIP

Are we just not considering the fact that incendiary slays count damage + kills if there were multiple people damaged?

I don't see anyone talking about that. That's the major red flag here. The person that threw the grenade didn't just damage Teeku, they damaged Noob and xertz as well. Teeku going back to the fire, while initially it was just to say fuck it and suicide, got the guy another slay considering Noob also reported the guy along with Teeku.

Noob probably survived the entire round or just waited for the round to end while dead, got the console damagelogs and reported le_nugget himself, which is why the report is on round 5.

So yeah, I covered it all here. It's the intent of getting the person an additional slay for killing with the incendiary grenade, not just karma. Karma is no reason to slay, come on. Now sure, Teeku's intention wasn't to do that specifically, but returning into the fire was on purpose, which is why it's considered toxic.

11. PwnageKO

If Teeku returned to the fire unknowing the person who threw it was an innocent, I don't see how he could have had the intention to earn the person an additional slay. The intention wasn't there to earn the person a slay because from his perspective a traitor was likely the one who threw the incin, not an innocent. I feel like in the end it doesn't matter if it earns the person an extra slay or reduces their karma, or whatever else. The innocent was knowingly attempting to rdm an AFK and should be responsible for the results of that action. Same way almost how if an innocent plants a C4 in c4 roulette and it kills a bunch of innocents, they get a ban pretty easily. I feel like you know the risks when you take the action and you should just be ready to take the consequences. Shit, I like to rdm sometimes when someone is delaying, but I know its rdm and I'll easily take a slay because at the end of the day, it's just a game.

12. audrey

audrey batty VIP

an intention which teeku probably didn't think about. honestly, if you don't want to get a bunch of slays for rdming people with incends, it's as simple as not chucking incendiary grenades into groups of people for no reason. play stupid games, win stupid prizes. teeku should have absolutely no punishment from this, considering apparently he has little or no history with attempting to get people slain for petty reasons.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Orion

I don't see what the point here is, really. Jumping into an incend would be toxic because you're going out of your way to damage yourself and point the responsibility of it on the person who threw the incend, regardless of the person being a traitor or innocent.

Plus, I never said he had the intention of getting the person an extra slay (rather, I said that just the jumping into the fire was intentional), I just explained that's why his behavior could be considered toxic whether it was intentional or not. I'm not here to defend any side, I'm here to explain something that was missed out by even Ashes Relandi himself, the person that gave the discretion.

14. RyanHymenman

RyanHymenman Conscript the women and kids Administrator VIP Silver

So the reason why it becomes a case for toxicity is because by running back into the fire to die, he turns a potential report for damage into a potential report for killing, which would carry an extra slay if the incend damaged other people. In this case, the toxicity was based off the fact of karma loss. Would I think that this is enough to assume a toxic intent? No. Would I have added a slay for toxicity solely based on this case? No, I would have warned. The reason why I think the slay was justified is because that person was warned, not 4 hours earlier, for a different incident of toxic behavior. It is a borderline offense that really could have gone either way, since we do take in account recent and long term history before judging things like toxicity.

• Like Like x 2
  15. PwnageKO

I guess what I was more or less trying to say was that it should not be considered toxic because I don't think a person choosing to kill themselves is toxic to begin with. Like, you can just jump off some maps if you don't want to play the rest of the round or kill yourself with an incin. Hell, anytime I find C4 I always cut Wire 1 because I know I have a 1/6 shot of defusing it and I don't care if I die based on those odds. If I die, and it's a traitor who set the C4 and killed me then it would be fine. But, if an innocent set the C4 and killed me and maybe others, does that make me toxic then for cutting the wire? To me, how the player chooses to kill themselves or risk dying doesn't matter as much as if, in this scenario, it was actually an innocent who killed them. Sorry if I am rambling, I am tired.

16. TragicMagic

TragicMagic Active Member

Are we to assume all damage from an unknown source is from another of our own role then? Because unless that's the case, this really doesn't work because the role of the incender was unknown.

17. RyanHymenman

Thats where this report gets slippery, and I probably would have just warned for this, personally. But like I said, it could have gone either way, and I dont think Ashes was in the wrong to add this slay. Just different strokes for different folks.

Oh, and thats why I said "potential report," since they didnt know the role, a report isnt a sure thing, but it is clear that they would report for the kill if they were innocent. Again, I would have for sure warned for this. Not sure if I would have slain. It is close

18. RyanHymenman

Also this doesnt work. Because it is a C4, you are disarming it to benefit your team. Running into the incend doesnt do anything except get you killed 100% of the time

19. Dapper Cracker

Dapper Cracker Silver Supporter

not toxic end of discussion

20. Orion

I'm just speechless at these words. You're not getting the point. You cutting the wire of a C4 and it going off is not a traitorous act, so why would you be slain for toxicity? You're attempting to get on with the game by cutting the wire. It going off is an unintended consequence.

Now, throwing an incendiary grenade as an innocent for no reason, it damages 3 people and kills one, that one person intentionally running into the fire. It's quite obviously intended to happen, regardless of the intent of Teeku attempting to get an extra slay or not, regardless of the person who threw the incend being traitor or innocent, regardless of anything. It is not furthering the game. You're just throwing yourself into a pit of fire for no reason other than to just die, and IF the person just so happens to be innocent, it gets them an extra slay, congrats.

Both sides are wrong here, but there's some clear problems not being addressed with one side more than the other. I'm arguing for it being toxic, but just the fact that Teeku's intention wasn't specifically to get the guy an extra slay, and he wasn't talked to about that intention, I'd just say "hey, don't do that anymore". That's it.

The whole point of the thread is not to be opinion based on Teeku's side or degolfer's side. It's to argue if the walking into the fire pit is toxic or not. And it is. Done. Fin. Bye bye. Should Teeku be slain? Not the point of the thread, even thought everyone is talking about it and even I have to because it just derailed into that.